“Clean, comfortable, accommodating!”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Edgartown
Smithtown, New York
“Clean, comfortable, accommodating!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

While not a beautiful room it was extremely comfortable, spacious, clean. All the staff, without exception, was friendly and helpful. I locked the safe late one night, and was unable to open it. Was going to wait until morning, but realized my eyeglasses were inside. Literally, less than 5 mins. after I called someone was there and gone, within a minute, and with a smile at 10 PM! I booked this room as a default for Columbus weekend, and we were quite pleased. The continental breakfast was not impressive, yet still a perk if you wanted to grab and go. Having a microwave, fridge, coffee pot all very nice. Cannot say anything negative about this hotel.

Room Tip: I asked for first floor because of my husband's hip problem and was graciously given one.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tourist0604

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Dedham, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

THe hotel staff was couteous and very professional. They are the main reason why I would return to this hotel. I found the room to be very comfortable. The bedding and in-room amenities were exactly what I would expect for a hotel in this chain. However, the rugs were old and beaten up to the point of looking like they were dirty, although I am sure they were not. Unlike Mike G.. I thought the pre-wrapped danish and donuts at the very minimal breakfast buffet were an insult for the amount of money that we were paying to stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MGLeahy
Mammoth Lakes, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

Very nice hotel. Clean, fridge and microwave, flat screen TV. Continental breakfast is minimal but, the pre-packaged danishes are awesome! (I couldn't believe how good they were.)
Only complaint:
The TV sits very low on stand. It made it difficult for me to change channels while I laid in my bed like a sloth.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Shrewsbury MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

Stayed at the Clarion in Edgartown for 3 nights in mid-August, just prior to Pres. Obama's arrival. Location is quite good, in terms of convenience. As mentioned in their website, they are in the middle of a commercial district, not a waterfront/center of town/tourist district...so if that is what you are looking for, you'll be disappointed. A deli is at the front of the parking lot, and a Stop and Shop grocery store in next door. Bus stops close to the front, if you are traveling without a car. Told it is a short walk to the center of town - we had a car, it seemed like it would be a 15-20 minute walk to the center. No pool, which made for a difficult day with the kids when it poured all day.

We had a room on the first floor, as requested, as my DH is still on crutches. Room was clean, a good size, with a small frig, a safe (for which we were charged on checkout even though we never used it), and a flat screen TV - unfortunately placed (bolted on actually) on top of the small frig, so it was low and therefore very difficult to watch if lying in bed. The place was full - parking lot was filled with both commercial work vans and private cars, along with a few vans that appeared undoubtedly to belong to the President's advance team. Even though it was full, it was quiet. Ice machine at the side entry to the parking lot was always full. Breakfast was a continental one - was fairly consistently replenished by a woman who appeared to be a housekeeping supervisor. Breakfast included coffee, juice and milk, apples, along with granola cereal and toast/english muffins. There were individually wrapped, commercially made, high-fat pastries and muffins (my teens were big fans of the chocolate muffins), along with boxes of cereals (both kid and adult). A decent enough selection for everyone to at least stave off hunger until lunchtime.

My only complaint was service. I went on vacation, but had a tremendous amount of work to do, and an important report to write...I was relying on good wireless internet access. It was anything but...the connection was weak at best, I kept losing access until, out of frustration, I hooked up through their ethernet cable. Unfortunately the connection port is behind the nightstand between the 2 beds, across the room from the table. This meant either sitting in bed with my laptop in order to work, or stretch the cable across one of the bed's to reach the table. As I worked at night while the rest of the family slept, neither stringing cable across their beds, nor sitting on the bed with my paperwork strewn across the bed which I was sharing with my DD, was really appreciated. On top of that, the cable connection clip was broken, so that the cable kept slipping out and I kept losing the connection. When I spoke to the person at the front desk and asked if there was better connectivity in another part of the motel, I was told that " I know that the owner is working on the internet service, but we have a service that you can call to ask questions"....of course the service couldn't help either. I also asked if I could have a new cable which wasn't broken, thinking that would be an easy fix at least. Instead each time my room number was written down, and I was told that the owner would be informed. Nothing ever happened - extremely frustrating. Instead I just made due by stringing the cable and moving the table closer between the beds...and then rearranging the furniture when I was done.

So, clean, convenient but pricey....my reservations were last minute, but there were several Band B's whose room rates were not too much more that the Clarion's... unfortunately they were all booked. Breakfast OK, service not so.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank sleepydoc
Dartmouth, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

We've stayed at the Clarion a couple of times, most recently in April. The rooms are good sized and comfortable, with the basic amenities of a coffee maker and hair dryer. Breakfast is included, and it's a decent continental breakfast. Coffee, tea, and other beverages are available throughout the day, and the staff will do their best to help you with whatever else you need.

Room Tip: The rooms are all the same, but some hallways get more traffic than others.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank 65Wagonaire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
1.5 km away
Kelley House
#8 of 10 in Edgartown
1.1 km away
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Been to Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard? Share your experiences!