“Don't waste your time”

Behind the Bookstore Coffee Bar
Ranked #2 of 4 Coffee & Tea in Edgartown
Cuisines: French, Wine Bar
Reviewed 5 October 2018

First of all, trying to find a place to park is nerve wracking. There are people everywhere, and the streets are narrow. You find the bookstore and walk down the side of the store to get to the courtyard where there are tables set. You walk to the back where the first thing you see is a gender neutral bathroom. Only one bathroom. You then open a screen door and come into the restaurant staging area and you aren't greeted. There is a young guy standing behind the counter who is acting very bored, almost angry. Thankfully my daughter understood that you place your order there and you are asked to give the tip on the computer screen. I was expecting to go out into the courtyard and be "waited on." I don't know why you have to tip, there is no professional courtesy or service. We are given a number to put on our table. A different young man brings out my daughter's meal and takes the number. I had ordered a chicken salad and waited a bit when another person brings out my salad and is looking for our number and of course, it has already been taken. I called him over and he asked, "where's your number?" My daughter wanted to get a glass of wine. She had to wait about 5 minutes for someone to cover bar service. She got a very small glass of wine and it cost her $14. Our lunch...two salads and one iced tea was $37 and the tip options were quite high. About the iced tea. The guy manning the order desk said they only had strawberry iced tea. I said then I will just have water. He said I can make black tea and put ice in it. Sigh. So yes. But after the bar man came back I had to get more ice from him. Surprise surprise, he didn't charge me for it. By the way, you sit on a gravel courtyard and it is difficult to move and adjust the chair. I am so sorry we chose this place for our first meal in Martha's Vineyard. Please read reviews and go somewhere else, where your presence is appreciated. I can't say anything good about this restaurant.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 2 October 2018

Great atmosphere, tucked away behind the bookstore. Good clean food, coffee and other treats. Peaceful setting.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 25 July 2018

Who wants to sit inside on a beautiful summer day? Nestled between two buildings and under a creative canopy of canvas you will find the Behind the Bookstore Coffee bar. Yes, it offers creative food – I had a delicious yellowfin tuna salad sandwich – but it was the little bar tucked in the corner and the friendly mixologist that kept us from moving on. Having been to Edgartown countless times I found this cozy, casual bar/restaurant a welcome break from the usual nautical, but dark bars on the island. If you’re looking for a casual place to grab a bite and a beer without pesky wait staff, this is for you.

Reviewed 20 July 2018

The tent set up in back was cool and comfortable. The selection was OK, my sandwich was good but a bit overpriced. The "greens" in a salad were a bit weird. Not fancy, order and sit down, but fine.

Reviewed 12 July 2018

In front, a bookstore, Walk to the back, a cocktail bar. Past the tables, a tea and coffee shop. Everything you need! Great atmosphere, offers a $5.00 'Gansett, and bar snacks (poke or fried greenbeans). A little expensive for the food but its an island., so ithe importing raises the price. The bartenders are very knowledgeable and friendly, very hipster. Went twice to the bar and had breakfast there in the morning, under these totally cool sail canopies that spread sun and shade just so. Coffee and breakfast were delicious. I had avocado toast and my husband, a breakfast sandwich, but the coffee and tea options are numerous. Something for everyone and I mean everyone. Ice cream too - Some young woman was explaining that she had -I think she said - coffee and granola ice cream? Looked good at any rate.
As a librarian who likes to eat and drink and read, I could just move in for the summer. I'd love to own something like this and I would if I won the lottery. It's like a mini NOLA Bacchanal, with a coffee shop. No live music but I really liked their Putamayo type playlist. Our favorite place and we will be back!