All reviews drawing room first floor ghum bungalow karma km homestay fireplace property hospitality view
Reviewed 9 June 2017 via mobile

The location of the resort is perfect to have a feeling of stay in forest and have clear views of the majestic Kanchenzonga.

The 3 rooms in the first floor are the better ones of which one is a suite while the other two have private balcony. There is a common drawing room in the first floor which is pretty large with sofas all around.

The staffs (none of them are permanent) are a bit casual in their approach but they are friendly and always willing to help you. Please do not expect to get service like the hotels since it is more like forest guest house with the staffs helping you out.

The food quality could have been better but you need permanent staffs for that. What more can you expect from temporary staffs? There are a few homestays in the main road from where you can have breakfast and lunch if you wish.

The views of Darjeeling from the roof is indeed awesome and Kanchenzonga is also visible on clear days.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Sanjib G
Reviewed 25 February 2017

No I am not exaggerating and you read it right. As you take the left turn from Ghum towards Sukhia Pokhri, 8 km into the journey you take a right turn into a secluded WBFDC Nature Resort. At first glance you couldn't ask for a better setting, tucked away in the deep forests of pine and deoder, eerily quite except for the sounds of the crushing leaves at your feet and the occasional gusts of winds. The bungalow stands in its former grandeur, but in desperate need of renovation.The rooms are huge with wooden frame all around, but in desperate need of upkeep. As we traveled in September to avoid the maddening crowds of upcoming Durga Puja season, we were greeted with the rains. We had the fog to keep company and occasional sleet of rain made it the perfect cover for the spotted carnivore. Just a week before the caretaker's dog disappeared, and one doesn't spots stray dogs around either. All doors locked after 8, people rarely venture out at night as the hunter is on its prowl. Even our caretaker would prepare dinner and leave by 8, only to return at daylight.Thank God I had invited my friend for this trip, for there wasn't a soul around apart from us in the entire guest house. After dinner, I decided to have a smoke and as I stepped outside the creeky back door, i realized the mistake. It was pitch dark and I couldn't even see the next step, but my cigarette light would be visible from 2 miles away. I kept my one feet inside the door while I still wanted to enjoy the darkness, always keeping a keen eye towards the jungle. Just as i decided this adventure wasn't worth the risk and stepped inside to lock the door, i heard a dog barking. This was it. It was in the vicinity for its hunt and in all probability I may have been on its hitlist. Finally the dog stopped barking !! Our suspicion was confounded the next morning when we learnt a nearby resident's pet dog couldn't be traced in the morning.

Room tip: heard that the first floor rooms offer the Kanchenjunga view if you are lucky :)
Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank Priyadarshi S
Reviewed 26 January 2017

You can see the the beautiful Kanchanjangha from your room - big room - room heater - it is situated in the best place but you have to go there to really know how poorly West Bengal Forest Development Corporation is working.
I would love to visit again only for the location and will try to bring in the attention of the proper authority to look after their most ignored property.

Date of stay: December 2016
3  Thank SANDITAM
Reviewed 22 November 2016 via mobile

I stay suit one... kanchanjanga from my window! lepchajagot means in bengali.. Lep CHA and Jagot. U can say Itna sannata Q hai bhai. Food is cheap price but good. karma is good chef and good man. But caretaker is very bad. say very much and lie.

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Manas H
Reviewed 18 November 2016

Overall it was a good experience. The surrounding is very quiet after sunset and the closest dwelling is almost 500m of walk away. Its a small town with around 10-12 houses. This bungalow has 6 rooms and has a great view of Kanchenjunga from roof as well as some rooms and ground floor backyard. We could see Darjeeling as well from roof and taken pictures of dazzling lights in full moon surrounding. Our room was on ground floor named Magnolia, 2 beds, heater, tv. Rooms may need a bit of maintenance as they are old. Bathroom was renovated and geyser was working fine. Tv had no signal, not that we missed watching tv. Mobile networks are sometimes an issue as signal is not full strength everywhere plus only 2G internet speed except for roof or 1st floor. Food has to be pre-ordered mostly 4-5hours in advance with less variety as the place has accessibility issues and nearest bazaar is 5km away(Sukhia-pokhri). Food bill was very cheap in comparison to room tariff.The staff is a caretaker and his family members who run this place and stay closeby. Sometimes the caretaker's behaviour was very straight forward almost rude when demanded any frivolities. For example he insisted on nt providing lunch on our day of departure when we had checked out bt would leave in afternoon for Darjeeling mail at 8pm but after lot of coaxing agreed to provide lunch. Also he sticks to dinner at 8pm which is a bit uncommon when we come from metro cities. But may come back again for the ambience of this place and warm members of family,

Room tip: 1st floor rooms are bigger than ground floor, with fire place which can be used in winters and view of Kanchenjunga.
Date of stay: November 2016