“Great location, nice motel”
Review of Hawthorne Motel

Hawthorne Motel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
Lafayette, Colorado
“Great location, nice motel”
Reviewed 17 November 2011

We stayed at the Hawthorne Oct 10 thru 14th. Really enjoyed its location on Cape Cod as well as being right on the beach. Very clean, with friendly owners. I would come back again for sure. A much more relaxed and better deal than the big resort next door. Much more personable at The Hawthorne.

Room Tip: Face the ocean.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BLeonard22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Wilmette
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We have been coming back to the Hawthorne annually for over 10 years. The facilities and amenities are excellent, the view is beautiful, the guests are friendly and Gil and his family do everything to make it a great experience. It is also convenient to downtown Chatham and in such a liocation that it is convenient to the Lower and Upper Cape.

Philip L.

Room Tip: You have to make your reservation quite early because of its popularity- most rooms have a good view...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Philip L
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 November 2011

My family has stayed at the Hawthorne for several years. We love it - its like a 2nd home to us. You just can't beat the location - on the beach, within walking distance to town. We have stayed in the motel rooms, efficiencies and cottage, and have found all to be clean and updated. Gil and Ellie are wonderful hosts and make you feel right at home. They do whatever they can to make your stay a great one, and are continually adding more services. Most recently, they have marshmallow roasts on the beach two nights a week, or, if you want your own, they wil set one up for your convenience. While not a full service hotel (no on-site restaurant), the facilities in the rooms allow for, at a minimum, breakfast in the room. This works well for our 3-generation family getaways. We love it and will continue to stay at The Hawthorne!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mel H
Albany, Ny
Reviewed 13 October 2011

After reading the great reviews on Tripadvisor my wife and I were excited that we were able to get an ocean view room on short notice. We were able to get room number 131 for three nights. We have come to realize that it was a mistake to stay in that room.
We should have realized that there was a problem when we checked in and there was a dehumidifier running in the room. That night my wife had a problem breathing and didn't sleep well. She has had trouble breathing a few other times when she has stayed where there is mold and/or mildew.
In the morning I told the owner, Gil, that we couldn't stay the other two nights because there was apparently a mold and/or mildew problem in the room. He said there was no problem with us leaving and put the remaining two nights charges back on our credit card.
I did look at one of the non-ocean view rooms in the front of the motel. It looked more recently updated than room 131, but we chose not to stay partly because we had had such a bad experience with the other room. Our expectations had taken a nosedive.
In spite of the room, we did appreciate and enoy the location of the Hawthorne, one of the best in Chatham, the view is spectacular, the beach is very nice and it is only about 1/2 mile, within walking distance to many of the shops and restaurants in Chatham. We did have a good time there but the room put a damper on things. Pun intended!
If we hadn't had the problem with the room, I probably would have given the Hawthorne an excellent rating.
If we were sure we could get a mold/mildew free room we might even go back there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank PapaBarry
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I am a flight attendant with a major airlines and my dream has always been to visit Cape Cod and the Islands. I had a couple of days off and just wanted to "get away". The graciousness of Mr. Gil and Ms. Ellie made this possible for me. The staff displayed excellent customer service by satisfying my every need or want. There were flawless directions from the Boston Logan airport, the towns and shops nearby by car. My room was very clean and afforded me tranquility. The view of the ocean was outside of my window. To my surprise, the previous Sunday, I was watching on tv, CBS' "Sunday Morning". At the end of the show, viewers could see coverage of the sunrise on Cape Cod. Outside of my room, #118, I witnessed the sunrise on the beach which was simply spectacular and sensational, a memory I'll have with me for some time. Sharon J. Epps, Atlanta, GA

Room Tip: A room with the view of the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
4.5 km away
3.2 km away
The Chatham Motel
The Chatham Motel
#3 of 9 in Chatham

Been to Hawthorne Motel? Share your experiences!