“Concerned about our stay...”

The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Brewster
Reviewed 22 August 2011

My family and I are staying at Ocean Edge this coming week. We are celebrating my husband's 40th birthday! I decided to think positively after reading the reviews about Ocean Edge. I booked an ROH room via phone. Since we are traveling with a newborn, I requested a room in the Mansion side of the property. We are traveling with a newborn and chose Ocean Edge because of its convenience to the beach and all the amenities and activities it has to offer. (After my research, it seems as though most of that takes place near the Mansion side of the property.) I explained the reason for my request and after unexplained giggling, the Ocean Edge representative said she would make special note of my request. A few minutes later I received my confirmation stating that a room was reserved on the Village side of the property. (Obviously, my request was not only granted but certainly ignored!) Since I wanted to give the benefit of the doubt, I sent an e-mail re-stating my request and I still have not received a response back! I am REALLY hoping that my stay at Ocean Edge will be better than the treatment I have received before our arrival. I am going to stay positive and hope my review after my stay will be a positive one! Stay tuned.....Here's to the possibility of a wonderful vacation/celebration at Ocean Edge!

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank DeDe234
There are newer reviews for The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club

Reviewed 22 August 2011

I make no excuses - This review is going to be absolutely fair. Some things need to be said, but at the same time, some 'real' credit needs to be given where it's due.

What is very important is that if you start reading, please read it all the way through for balance - And it only refers to the Mansion Side accomodation.

Our arrival - The Bad:

This was very inauspicious - We turned up and when I booked in we were told that the rooms would not be ready until 4.00pm (Checkout is 11.00am, get your skates on and push off!) and when it was ready I was told, I would be phoned on my mobile. I wasn't, but that's cool, when we went back to reception some time after 4.00 it was ready, just no-one had told us.

Don't expect your bags to be carried to your room for you - This is one of the first things that you can have if you 'ask' for it, but it's the first 4* hotel I've ever stated in that just hands you a room key and lets you get on with it.

I asked if the mini-bar in my sons' room could have the alcoholic drinks taken out as we usually have done at other hotels - There are no mini-bars. Once again, for a fee you can hire a refrigerator for your room, but what you put in it is up to you.

There is no 24 hour room service. It starts at 7.00 am and ends at 9.00pm - That's it. Make like a boy scout and be prepared. But here's a warning - Don't be prepared by buying 800ml (your read this right) bottles of still water from room service for $8.00 each. (And if you rent a refrigerator, make sure you keep the water in the safe, not the fridge)That's £4.85 for less than a litre of water. In the U.K. water retails for something like 38p a litre. You pays your money, you takes your choice. This sort of cynicism drives me crazy. We complain about petrol costing £6.00 a gallon - This water costs £27.00 a gallon! It might be a money spinner, but we heard two other families talking about it at dinner.

In fairness if you try hard enough you can find a drinks machine that sells Pepsi and water for $2.00 a litre on site, but it's well hidden and we got asked where the ice machine and drinks machine was about half a dozen times by other guests (No, they weren't psychic, I was carrying my ice bucket around, being prepared!)

We stayed in two rooms in the West Wing of the mansion which faced the front of the main house. The rooms were a good size, newly and tastefully refurbished with extremely pleasant bathrooms, a coffee machine was on hand and storage space was generous. There was a safe in the room too. Aircon was a bit noisy and primitive, but it worked well enough, you wouldn't want to leave it on at night unless your were hard of hearing though.

What's that? Hard of hearing - You are? Oh good then you'll enjoy the rooms we were allocated. You'll be the only people who can use the balcony, because there's a huge service pump/pumps that runs 24/7 outside about 15 feet away. Don't even think about opening the patio doors. Apparently no-one has ever complained about this endless racket before...

No I don't either.

Anyway, the standard of the rooms was pretty good, TV was a bit old by modern standards, good channel choice, I don't want to downrate things, you'd be pleasantly surprised and happy to spend some time there. As long as you don't want to open the doors and sit on the balcony to enjoy the view. Ah yes, the view.

I don't think you get a sea-view in any room in The Mansion or The Wings, if you look at Ocean Edge on Google Earth you'll see why. I asked for a sea-view when I booked my holiday and was told I had a 'Bay-View' room, I didn't get one. There was a tree. With a car park behind it, and a pump hiding away in some bushes - That is all.

Having been dismally ignored in the bar three times, the camel's back was broken, I had had enough. I felt I had been let down by my travel agent, and in turn I was letting down my family, and I definitely didn't feel like I was getting the high-end 4* holiday I had asked for. (I actually asked for a 5*, but was assured that this wasn't far off. This was far off) Me me me, I I I, me me me - OK It's all about me now. Live with it.

I went to reception to in a most English public schooly (you hate me now) way to complain about the noisy room and was met with utter ball-shrinking coldness and contempt, by one of the retinue of rather young, extremely pretty, very smily, but nonetheless utterly disinterested members of staff.

*smile smile*

"Noisy? Is it? It may be the septic pump or something to do with the pool. Well, you can upgrade your room if you want to. If it bothers you so much (What?). You'll have to pay extra. That's all I can offer you."

*dazzling smile*

Oh what? Bothers me? Did I hear that right? Sorry, I thought I was paying for a quiet holiday so I bought something noisy to your attention, I'm not just being a boring old English nuisance with all these silly trivial complaints to make your happy happy day sad. As it's the septic pump we'll let it pass, someone has to have it - I'll just push off and let you get back to staring into space shall I?

So I do what I always do at times like these - Back off, I'm wasting my time and feeling anger rising, so decide to get in touch with someone a little 'higher' in the decision making chain - And from here on in, things definitely start to improve for us, and I should say, for you too if you take these simple steps in future.

I went back to Trip Advisor and noted a few gripes from some past guests at Ocean Edge, where a gentleman called Brian Webb has replied to them on behalf of the Hotel Management (check out his courtesy, he speaks like this as well!) , and he seems in no small measure possibly the most charming and delightful man one could hope to make representations to. The tone of his replies are that he has a real desire to improve people's lot and wants Ocean Edge guests to be happy and comfortable. This is exactly what he is like in person. I have not been bribed to say this, all you read is true, warts and all.

I moaned at him a bit, rather a lot in retrospect - About the noise, about the lame service in the bar and sometimes at breakfast, about the lack of attention to detail (This is really the crux tbh) generally,no bathrobes, no coffee in the room, he never yawned once. I digress...

The Good:

Bryan upgraded our rooms instantly, to larger brighter quieter rooms on the other side of the building. No premium to pay. I would have been happy with that.

We were sent complimentary wine, fruit and cheese with a lovely chocolate house for the kids and a handwritten note from Mr. Webb that couldn't have been nicer. And I was more than happy with that.

Then Bryan offered us a complimentary evening meal, whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted, at the lovely Terrace restaurant. And by now I was almost embarrassed by his courtesy and generosity. Actually I am still taken aback by how decent he was to us in the face of what was a pretty low-level whinge about a noisy pump. I really feel this shows just how keen the management are to get Ocean Edge up to where they want it to be, and turn all the sad faces happy again. Or something.

So Bryan, if you're reading this, and I know you will be, a hearty thank you from us.

People have complained with good reason here, and I can definitely see their points - But I would urge you to complain a long time before you get to your keyboard, do it at the hotel and things will be changed, because they can't do anything if they are unaware of it. Then, what you do is, you know you do, you come and cry all over Trip Advisor when you get home to make yourself feel better...

It isn't The English Way to complain face to face much, and this has made us the whipping boys of the hotel industry. I have to say, get over it and grow a pair. 9 times out of 10 the management will be grateful for the information and sort you out. In my business I am reliant on feedback, and if I get none, I assume everything is OK.

Anyway, in brief, partly the faults were my expectations of what modern hotels are like:

i. Help with baggage on arrival, and being shown to our room. No.
ii. Mini-Bar. No.
iii. 24 hour room service. No.
iv. Help with baggage on way out. No.
v. Reasonable check-in time (4.00pm) No.
vi. Reasonable check-out time (11.00 am) A five hour room turnaround is a bit extreme. No.
vii. Free wi-fi. No. It's $50 a week, and not very fast at all.

But in complete fairness, none of these things are specifically offered or mentioned in the particulars, however I feel we're in 2011 not 1991 and this is supposed to be four-star accommodation. Or maybe I'm just being unrealistic.

Bryan Wells. Gilt-edged nice guy, doing his best to solve any problems you may have. I'm sure he is not the only one on the staff, just our contact point. I think the management (not the young confused staffers) will do just about anything to make your stay at Ocean Edge as pleasant as it can be.

The West Wing rooms - Light airy and very pleasant.

The room soundproofing is poor though, Harry & Sally beware, I could hear my sons talking and laughing at 1.00 am in the room next door.

Remember, I told you there were limited views, you may want to ask specifically what you're going to be looking at from the balcony. Very good for car enthusiasts.

The Pub: Bayzos

Really good food, and masses of it, cheerful attentive staff, atmosphere. (There was a piano player and entertainer who was really fun, if a bit loud - probably for the hard of hearing people who don't mind the noisy pumps) Top stuff!

Martin's Hint - Always ask for a 'bottle' of Pepsi or whatever at Ocean Edge, if you don't you get the shower pump stuff with ice, and it looks like cold tea - Or something that rhymes with it. Anyway, shower drinks dispensers are always awful compared to the real thing. I really mean - Always ask for bottles everywhere, they'll sigh a bit, but you can usually get them.

The lady in the breakfast room - There is a charming lady who lives in Brewster that served us nearly every day (Except the day no-one served us at all and an amusing American gentleman said that he was going to "find that stupid lazy waiter and kick his backside".). Someone give her a medal for cheerful, attentive good service. Put her in charge of training all the kids who don't seem to know what they ought to be doing.

Breakfast - Not at all bad. Not a huge choice, but it's tasty. The coffee is lovely. But we couldn't get a decent cup of tea anywhere (not in Boston - Oh how ironic, they shouldn't have thrown it all in the sea!) in Cape Cod. Someone has to tell someone that although English people are stupid, they rarely if ever make tea with tepid water before topping it up with single cream. Also, Have you ever wondered why you don't see Liptons tea in English shops?

The Beach.

It is just like the best of Cornwall, only better, and with nobody spoiling it. Idyllic.

The endless boiling hot water. If you've been to a hotel where things get a bit cooler during the morning showering rush, you'll appreciate this too.

The food in The Terrace restaurant is pretty good, I had the best steak I've ever eaten there, but some of the service is rather patchy. Agonizingly some is fantastic.

it's the curate's egg you see. If everything at Ocean Edge could be lifted up to the standard of the best people, and a few things we have grown to expect were provided (mini-bar etc etc, I'm not an alcoholic incidentally) it would be a cracking place. I think we and they realise there is a long way to go.

And the logic behind some of the crazy pricing takes some getting your head around - The bottled water is preposterous, and I told you already about that, it was $8 wasn't it? Yu remember don't you? I'll be asking questions at the end. But a huge, and I mean huge, delicious pepperoni pizza is only $12. It's a two man job as well. The Club Sandwich needs to be delivered on a wheelbarrow, no one could eat it alone with the fries, and yet it is only $10. It's enough to give you hydrophobia.

Sam Adams beer. The local stuff. I hardly drink outside of holidays and celebrations, but this became the one thing I drank with dinner every night on this holiday. Try it.

Did I mention Bryan Wells?

Look, anyway, there are some rather rough edges, this place is obviously a money spinner and in my very humble 'don't run a hotel' opinion, it doesn't need to take people to the cleaners for incidentals like bottles of water and laundry. It's clearly very profitable, but at what cost of good will?

And for heaven's sake, while I'm at it, stop telling me that no gratuity has been added to the bill - I get it, I get it! You want a big tip for ignoring me. We all get it! Enough already. I'll always tip good service heavily, I live in the world, I know how it works damnit. Telling me about the gratuity is about all you have done for me sometimes. The standard US gratuity is 18% incidentally. Quite.

It's a good place with so much 'potential' to be great if the right people wrung a few necks that you almost feel sorry for the owners.

Brewster the town itself is rather wonderful, I should say that. We met so many charming people who liked the English on our road-trip in MA that it's hard not to fall in love with the New Englanders and want to return again and again. I hope we will do one day.

So, this endless screed is ending now - Ocean Edge is a good place generally - But the water is more expensive than wine, and if you're unlucky in the bar like us you won't get offered either anyway. Funnily enough 'Watergate' was discussed by a couple of other families while we were there - And I don't mean Tricky Dicky - Ah ha ha!

If you make sure you know what you're getting before you go you'll be happy there, we were all rather sorry to go in the end. Honestly.

Thanks again Bryan for four really fantastic days. Without your input it would have been dire.

You're thinking - "Ha Wise Guy! The Bad, The Good, Where's The Ugly?"

I didn't forget, it's the view from our room which is everything you'd rather not think about when you're staying in a beautiful eco-coastal location. See photo. If you recall I said I was sold a 'Bay View' by my travel agent. Is 'Bay' a make of car in the US?

Toodle Pip!

Room Tip: Ask what your view will be, and if there is any external noise.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
10  Thank Martin B
Reviewed 21 August 2011

This is one of the betetr hotels on the cape. The service is very good and the pools, beach are great. Great for families!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Well its been a while since i wanted to write this review, but here we are now. I was there mid July 2011 and we traveled from Switzerland. We first booked a hotel in Eastham, that did not impressed us, so we give Ocean Edge a try. When we arrived we were nicely greeted by the front desk and we explained our situation, that we were really tired and we need a nice and quiet place to rest. Front desk clerk, if I still remember well his name was Vladimir offered us a hotel accommodation in the so called West Wing. He called "Bobby our bellmen" to show us the room. We checked out the room and were not impressed at all it was dark, awful view, nothing for the price we were offered, we could hear steps over us and everything. We complained to the bellman and said we had a long trip and we want something with nice view and quiet. Bobby offered to show us a room in the one bedroom villas. He said "Its my favorite you will love it". On the way to the desk he called the desk and specifically asked for a room number, which ill tell you later what it is :) , and lucky us it was vacant. He took us with the van to Briteridge village. The room we were shown was marvelous, it had view looking at the water, it was a pond, but still calm view, trees, garden and water it was top floor, so we did not have to listen someone running on top of our heads. It turned out to be excellent stay. We loved it, we went and take our staff from Eastham hotel and returned back. The bellman offered us escort to our room when we get back, but he was gone by the time we were back.

Food is awesome, definitely have an evening drink at the terrace it is gorgeous. There is plenty of stuff to do around, so ill definitely recommend Ocean Edge and Cape Cod for a good and calm vacation.

Room Tip: If you want to stay in one bedroom villa, ask for briteridge 135 (top floor)
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Nice venue. Great tennis courts and fantastic golf. Rooms of apartments very poorly decorated. Convenient very simple and clean.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brewster
0.2 km away
Red Jacket Beach Resort & Spa
#4 of 21 in South Yarmouth
21.8 km away
Hampton Inn and Suites Cape Cod - West Yarmouth

Been to The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!