“Average hotel with above average staff”

Radisson Hotel North Baltimore
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Timonium
Fairfax, Virginia
“Average hotel with above average staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stay at this hotel once or twice a year. It's a small convention hotel with a lovely open lobby area, and adjustable rooms for a multitude of uses from meetings to weddings to science fiction conventions. I have found the bedrooms average, but the staff very much above average.

I love hotels with covered entry ways. The one at this hotel is quite large. Large enough for three cars side by side with room to open doors. As you enter the lobby through automatic sliding doors, the front desk is on your left, along with a container or two of fruited ice water for refreshment. There are very comfortable sofas and chairs placed in the front part of the lobby. While the hotel offers free internet, there is also a small business center. There is an outdoor pool, accessible through the lobby, and an exercise room stocked with equipment from Nautilus.

Some of the rooms have windows connected to the lobby. Drapes and light dampening window treatments provide privacy in every room, and ensure darkness when you want it. The only drawback can be, if there is an event in the lobby area, it can be heard in the rooms with windows connected to the lobby. If you're not attending the event, or have children you will be putting to bed whilst you join the party, you might want to request a room not facing the lobby.

There are several outside doors, accessible with your room key, to allow you to park at an entrance close to your room and to elevators. The elevators are well placed to provide travelers great convenience.

I usually stay in a room with either two queen size beds, or one King size bed, though I've seen they have a few suites as well. The beds are comfortable, not overly soft on the sides, and somewhere between firm and medium. There are many pillows on the beds, in three sizes. The comforter is encased, and it looks and smells like the covers are washed on a regular basis.

The bathrooms are roomy, as you can see in the pictures on their web site. I like the long counter with cubbyholes beneath. There's a hook on the back of the door, convenient for damp reusable towels. The bar in the bathtub is very well placed to ensure a steady entry or exit, and nonslip patches on the floor of the tub are better than a mat that might slip. One of my favourite features of the bathroom is their bowed curtain rod. It, combined with their well constructed curtain and liner, ensures you won't be attacked by the liner while you clean yourself up.

Another downside is their water temperature. If the hotel is full, I've experienced issues with maintaining a constant temperature, and have, at times lost hot water all together. I have complained to the management. They apologized, offered a partial refund the first time, and the second time, a meal in their restaurant. The apology was sincere and empathetic, which for many travelers is more important than any compensation.

I like coming back to this hotel each year. It's an average hotel, but as I said before, it's their diligent staff that really makes the stay better.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lobby can be noisy at night.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank RacerX220
kheird, Director of Sales at Radisson Hotel North Baltimore, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
I must thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review. Your observations and comments are important feedback for us. I truly appreciate your insight in recognizing that complaints may happen and it is how the staff handles the situation that is key. We are delighted that you are a repeat guest and looking forward to having you stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Little Rock
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

With a few more hours to drive and darkness falling, it was great to find a nice place to stay that was safe, secure, and obviously a favorite stop-over for contractors and salesmen. The room was getting close to the time to refurbish, but was comfortable and had everything needed for a one night stop over. The washer and dryer right on the same floor was a nice touch, although I didn't need it. The big draw was a nice lobby bar and restaurant. Good for a glass of wine with a bunch of other travelers killing time, and then for breakfast in morning. Opening the window onto the atrium was a bit of a shock since I was on the second floor; with no other window it was a bit dark in the room, but it was fine for what I needed.

Room Tip: I'd go higher than the second floor and get an outside window if possilbe.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank willtravel12345
It is very kind of you to take the time to review our hotel since you mentioned we were just a stop over for your trip. I am so glad that you found our hotel welcoming and a haven. Our restaurant and lounge are often mentioned as appreciated by our guests. Your remarks concerning refurbishment are well timed. We have a renovation scheduled for later this year. I sincerely hope you have the chance to stay with us again and experience the new rooms.
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

I stayed here for one night while on business in the Baltimore area. It is convienient to I-83, is easy to find and offers plenty of parking. The lobby / atrium is huge as other posters have mentioned, but it really doesn't offer anything; it is just a huge open space with a few couches to sit on.

The room it self can be described as basic; bathroom was spacious, but the room was a bit tired. Older carpet, older tiled tub, old, and very small tube television. Also, my room faced the atrium, which made the room kind of dark with no natural light coming through the window.

The work station was dimley lit, and the desk chair was very small; perfect for someone 5'-6" or shorter. The bed was on the soft side, but the bedding was very nice, crisp and clean.

One thing I found odd was there were a total of 3 hangers in the closet; not sure how a family of 4 can hang up all their stuff in winter with only 3 hangers. Also, as a priority club platinum member, I was not offered a single upgrade; no room upgrade, no goody bag; not even a bottle of water. I guess I expect more from a "Crown Plaze".

Lastly, the restaurant was OK, but quite expensive for anything more than a burger or sandwich.

Next time I am back in the area, I will look for somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank ToSquareBob1
kheird, Director of Sales at Radisson Hotel North Baltimore, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts regarding our property. I am so sorry you were disappointed. I am distressed that you received no consideration as a Priority Club Platinum member. We truly value the loyalty of our Priority Club members, evidently we failed to express that to in this instance. Please be assured that the appropriate staff has been counseled to provide the guest service and amenities you felt were lacking. The good news is we are currently scheduled for renovation of our guest rooms, which will also include flat screen TV's. Once our renovations are complete, I do hope you will stay with us again in order that you may experience the quality of stay you expect and deserve.
Bristol, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

The place is huge as you walk in....overwhelming....the room is spacious and clean....bathroom could be more modernized with some caulking, but the shower head was pure bliss......amenities very nice.
Carpeting is older in the rooms, but ours was clean and the cleaning staff was shampooing other carpets on the floor.....he told us our room was done 3 days ago.....
Staff is helpful in sharing maps and places to go around the hotel.
I would have like coffee service, but we could only get a cup Sat. morning. Coffee was non existent Sunday morning as we drove off around 9 am.....what??? What restaurant doesn't have coffee at 9 am on a Sunday morning?

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank PADancergrrl
David M, General Manager at Radisson Hotel North Baltimore, responded to this review, 21 January 2012
When I first entered this hotel over 20 years ago, I was also surprised just how large the Atrium is. It is nice to have such a large and versatile area for guests to enjoy. I was happy to see that our staff was helpful, and you enjoyed our shower heads; they are very popular.
I was sorry to learn that you had trouble getting a cup of coffee. As a fellow caffeine addict, I understand your pain. I know that our restaurant did not run out of coffee, and I am working with our restaurant find out how we could have misinformed you.
Thank You for being our guest!

David Marsh - General Manager
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

After a long ride on the road, we arrived our at our room, lugged all our stuff up and found the carpet wet. It had been cleaned that day and they still put someone in that room. Back down to the desk to ask for another room. Rooms were cleaner on this visit so that was a plus. Nice to know they clean the carpet. Interesting to see that like vacuuming the edges of the room still weren't clean (what's up with that?). Second room dry carpet (with dusty edges).

Room Tip: Don't get a room overlooking the atrium! Too noisy.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
David M, General Manager at Radisson Hotel North Baltimore, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Thanks for staying with us again. Over the past few weeks we have been shampooing all of our carpets. I was surprised to read the carpet in your first room was still damp. I have reviewed your comments with our Housekeeping Managers, and I have been assured there will be no further reoccurrences. Thanks for letting us know!

David Marsh - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Timonium
2.5 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore North / Timonium
2.4 km away
Holiday Inn Timonium
Holiday Inn Timonium
#2 of 3 in Timonium
0.3 km away
Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore North - Timonium
Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore North -...
#2 of 2 in Lutherville Timonium
4.3 km away
Sheraton Baltimore North Hotel
2.6 km away
Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Timonium
Extended Stay America - Baltimor...
#1 of 2 in Lutherville Timonium
6.4 km away
BEST WESTERN Plus Towson Baltimore North Hotel & Suites

Been to Radisson Hotel North Baltimore? Share your experiences!