“Quite a Surprising Find”
Review of Chief's Bar

Chief's Bar
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

A friend told me that Chief's was her favorite restaurant in the area. So I finally took my best friend there for dinner. What a treat! It is located in the rear of a local grocery store W J Dents, which has been in operation since 1927. I find it very impressive and a sign of success that a business can survive 91 years.
The restaurant is also a bar where you are greeted at the door and shown to your table. That 1st night I had a steak, salad and collard greens. I wish I had bought a quart of those greens. They were THAT TASTY. My steak was nicely seasoned and cooked to my preference. The salad which I have had several times since was one of the freshest I have gotten at a restaurant in a long time. It had a variety of lettuces, vegetables, black olives and croutons with delicious bleu cheese dressing with hunks of bleu cheese.
Since then I have sampled the raw and fried oysters, watched friends almost lick the bowl of the cream of crab soup and a teenager devour the largest Philly Cheese steak sandwich he had ever seen.
Below is a picture of the velvety and scrumptious blackened scallops I devoured several weeks ago.
The Food-Delicious
The Service- Effecient and helpful
The Ambience- Friendly and down home
The Experience- Can't wait to go back!

Date of visit: August 2017

Reviewed 8 November 2017

Outstanding catfish -- best anywhere for both flavor and preparation. Scallops are equally good. We typically order both and then split the meals between us. Normally you would not write-up a restaurant for catfish but their's is exceptional. They are a local source in the country store front for stuffed ham, fresh cut meats, etc. Will serve such things as stuffed ham pizza. Classic old dump backroads bar that just adds color to it all. Fronted by a 50 year old grocery store and meat counter. Unique place that would not be remarkable except for the excellent food. Only had seafood there; yet to try beef, etc.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 6 November 2017

This local bar and grocery store (yes, grocery store) have great food, huge portions, and cheap prices. For the size of the place, it also has a surprisingly deep menu that has something for everyone. Additionally, they have daily specials and cheap oysters. They have a meat shop that supplies their steak so it is fresh with large cuts.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Wanted to make sure we stopped in again and we are glad we did. Should have made reservations however the hostess found a table for us. Ordered the jalapeño corn hush puppies and although they looked cooked they were still underdone on the inside. The waitress quickly picked them up and brought us a new order. I had the baby back rib special and my wife the stuffed flounder. OMG both were delicious!!! Plenty of food to stuff us. We had to get dessert to go!! So glad we stopped in and look forward to coming back again.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 3 October 2017

Don’t let the lack of ambience of this bar dissuade you. The restaurant serves a good meal with friendly, quick service. Reasonably priced

Date of visit: October 2017

Been to Chief's Bar? Share your experiences!