“Best coffee in Silver Spring!”
Review of Kaldi's Coffee Bar

Kaldi's Coffee Bar
Price range: USD 3 - USD 10
Description: We are much more than just one of the coffee shops in Silver Spring. We are Kaldi's Social Club. This is the very same attitude that has led to a brand new Kaldi's. We will always have the best coffee found anywhere in the area. That is our core, our foundation. But any good foundation provides room to grow, and that is exactly what led to a tripling of our floor space. Kaldi's remains a comforting oasis of creativity and community, where flavorful coffee the world over perfumes the open room all morning and afternoon long. In the evening, Kaldi's welcomes you to delight in custom-made cocktails as you relax in our cozy lounge. Or maybe you'd like to have a fresh-from-scratch, made-to-order dinner as you relax on the rooftop deck.
Reviewed 5 April 2017

Wonderful coffee, and a really fun, relaxed environment.

People come here to chill with a book, catch up with friends, or work on their laptop. The coffee is always good, and the food is tasty, even if it takes a while to reach you.

Staff are always ready to welcome you with a smile, and their cake selection is sure to brighten your afternoon!

Date of visit: October 2016

Reviewed 2 February 2017

First, the coffee...

Over 25 years of drinking coffee, I've always taken it with cream. Then someone brought me a cup from Kaldi's - BLACK. That was 18 months ago. And it was the last time I took cream in my coffee.

(Cue elevator music to give people time to ruminate what I just wrote. How about The Girl From Ipanema? Beach Boys? Marvin Gaye?)

It's not the best coffee I've ever had. It's the second best coffee I've ever had with the POWER to cut my 25 year habit of creaming my coffee, baby!

The coffee is usually hot, flavorful and has DEPTH to it. In other words, it FEELS like more than hot water in the mouth and provides a sense of body without tasting bitter.

Second, the Chocolate Croissant, aka Pain Au Chocolat

Holy Shitzu, Batman, it's awesome! I told the owner how awesome it is, the best I've eaten outside of France.

The French tend to be very strict about their baguettes and croissants (as well as with other cuisines and things beyond cuisines), passing laws that define what they are and how they must be produced in order to be considered true French bread and butter bread, as I like to call them. So, if I liken a croissant to French standards, it ain't no joke.

Kaldi's Chocolate Croissant is:

1) flaky
2) buttery
3) fat and flour perfectly balanced with dark chocolate - rather than cloyingly sweet milk chocolate.

I go out of my way to stop off at Kaldi's at least once a week. They produce only a limited number of these delectable morsels each day and are usually gone by early afternoon. If you want one, get there early. If you can make it early morning, say by 9 AM, the chocolate is still somewhat warm, which allows an added dimension to the this epicurean experience.

* Their Nutella scone is good, but a little too heavy for my tastes with lots of butter or lard (both yum but a bit much).

* Their banana nut bread was also good, but it's very oily and again, heavy.

PRICE:
Kaldi's has expanded their menu since they opened and serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Their PRICES are very reasonable. A large cup of coffee and a chocolate croissant costs me $5.

SERVICE:
People are usually very nice. I was sad to see their barista (Emily) depart in late summer 2016, but the new person(s) seems/seem nice.

AMBIANCE:
There are plenty of seats to go around - both at tables and bar area - to accommodate groups, families, couples, and solo visitors. Lots of people go and work on their laptops for hours without any hassle from management to buy their wares or vacate their premises. It's a pretty chill and friendly place with TVs on - but with lowered volume so as not to bother the patrons. You can hang all day and have three square meals to boot. And fuel up on very good coffee. What's not to like?

Date of visit: January 2017
1  Thank SonnieL
Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

Best coffee in the D.C. area. Comfortable chairs and couches. Perfect place to spend an afternoon lounging and reading a newspaper or doing work while sipping coffee.

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

Nice place to be around. The coffee with perfect test and aroma, the vibe of the community, unlimited wifi and spacious place .....

Date of visit: December 2016
1  Thank Excursion575221
Reviewed 23 December 2016

Best place to study, work(remotely),for kids and family. It is one of the unique place in silver spring. Always excited to stop by.

Date of visit: December 2016