“Better-than-Starbucks Coffee House”
Review of Kaldi's Coffee Bar

Kaldi's Coffee Bar
Price range: USD 3 - USD 10
Description: We are much more than just one of the coffee shops in Silver Spring. We are Kaldi's Social Club. This is the very same attitude that has led to a brand new Kaldi's. We will always have the best coffee found anywhere in the area. That is our core, our foundation. But any good foundation provides room to grow, and that is exactly what led to a tripling of our floor space. Kaldi's remains a comforting oasis of creativity and community, where flavorful coffee the world over perfumes the open room all morning and afternoon long. In the evening, Kaldi's welcomes you to delight in custom-made cocktails as you relax in our cozy lounge. Or maybe you'd like to have a fresh-from-scratch, made-to-order dinner as you relax on the rooftop deck.
Reviewed 22 February 2016

Kaldi's has recently been renovated and keeps a good crowd. Kaldi's is planning to open the rooftop terrace section of the coffee house in time for the warm weather. The interior is filled with comfy cozy seating twice the size of your typical starbucks. The desert case looks sinfully delicious. The offer a variety of hot teas and coffees. The passion fruit tea hit the spot. In addition to coffee/tea and desserts, you can also get actual food.

The coffee house is easy to get to on foot if you come by public transit. There is limited parking near by. There's also free wifi.

1  Thank Besabab
Courtney C, Owner at Kaldi's Coffee Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2016

We're thrilled to know how much you've loved coming by, Besabab! It really means a lot to see that you always feel comfortable hanging out here and enjoying a refreshing passion fruit tea. Thank you so much for sharing your kind words and recommendation on to everyone -- we can't wait to see you again!

All the best,

Reviewed 27 January 2016

Everytime I go to Kaldi's I want it to be good, but it always slightly disappoints me. Yesterday I ventured out in the snow to get some coffee and scenery while working remotely. There were tons of open seats at Kaldi's but none of them were comfortable/appropriate for working on my computer. I took my coffee and cake to go, but was sorely disappointed in my marble loaf. It was dry and overly sweet.

The coffee is good, but the new layout and food look good only on the surface.

Courtney C, Owner at Kaldi's Coffee Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2016

We're very sorry to hear about the overall impression that you've been left with, Karidja. The so-so feelings regarding the renovations is something we haven't yet heard, although that certainly in no way negates your opinion. We will certainly look into these concerns for you, and truly hope to have you back for the five-star visit that we know everyone here is capable of giving you.

-Kaldi's Social House

Reviewed 30 November 2015

And that"s how coffee was made!
*.4 solid stars*

Ecco-friendly as well as customer friendly!

Kaldis Coffee is nestled in the heart of downtown Silver Spring. Surrounded by several ethnic restaurants and coffee shops this place stands out. Just picture your best friends house . You know the one with the cool parents and their big brother not around to harass you? Add great coffee and a single television fixed permanently on CNN.
On my first visit I was met with a pleasingly overzealous counter person that offered me quite of options just for a simple cup of coffee. Try walking into (insert coffee shop that rhymes with Car Sucks) and see if they offer to a choice of having your coffee here or to go!
Recycle, recycle, RECYCLE!!!! Napkins, cups and plates are all served on/in recycled products! Baby bear, Momma bear and Daddy bear sized ceramic cups are offered for in house consumption.

Oh wait......

Did you hear that?

Me neither!!!

No freaking blended crappacino stuff!!!

This place is filled with 4 3'X4' tables a few scattered low coffee tables and a huge table that will easily accommodate 6 people! My only complaint is the chair selection . Many of the chairs are slanted backwards like deck chairs and it makes it awkward to consume your food. The wall seating sofas are prime spots and outlets are all over the place .
On a second visit I inquired about an item I the display case and a counter person simply replied, "That's Nutella" Upon further inspection, and reading a few reviews and tips, I found out that It was a Nutella scone! GET THIS! #HighlyAddictive
Muffins are awesome but the sandwiches are hit or miss. I tried the simple breakfast sandwich with toasted bread, egg, cheese and a choice of bacon or that turkey like bacon product. Bone dry. I think a previous reviewer stated that the sandwiches were now being pre-made. Not really sure but the egg itself was mixed with what appeared to be herbs and folded into an omelette shape. The sandwich was hot but very dry. Chicken Cubano sandwich was pretty good! Fresh chicken breast was used but it was not sliced but just slightly pulled into chunks with the usual suspects. The pickles were rather mild and were slightly over powered by the dijon mustard. Tasty just the same!
This place is a great addition to the neighborhood! What are you doing?! I'm finished! GET TO KALDIS COFFEE!!!

#MakeLikeANikeAndJustDoIt

1  Thank Bryan W
Courtney C, Owner at Kaldi's Coffee Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2015

We can't tell you how happy we were to read your review, Bryan -- seriously, it's great to know just how much you've been enjoying our place. We're disappointed your sandwich was a bit dry, but we hope you'll give 'em another shot as that isn't the norm here. We'll be looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Until then,

Reviewed 18 October 2015

Love the fantastic Coffee and service we always receive at Kaldi's Coffee Bar. They're so friendly and the food - especially the baked goods so delicious! :-)

Courtney C, Owner at Kaldi's Coffee Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2015

We're so thrilled to see how much everything here could knock it out of the park for you! It's especially nice to know that the staff here has always taken care of you so well, and we look forward to seeing you here again very soon!

Thanks,

Reviewed 30 June 2015

My husband turned me on to this place a few months ago and now it is one of our go-to hang out spots whenever we want to just have coffee and conversation. If you are looking for an alternative to Starbucks that is a step above some of the more "homey" (hey - trying to be nice here) local coffee joints, then this might just be the place.

Of course, there WiFi is free! The design is modern, open, and bright. They have a huge 4-panel sliding glass door, so when the weather is cooperating they open it up to make the space feel even more airy and open. Love that!! There are a lot of different types of seating and plenty to choose from - couches, chairs, tables, benches and a bar to sit at the window if you like being distracted by everything going on outside :-).

The prices are reasonable and the staff are actually human. By that, I mean they smile, talk to you and seem to be happy to serve you (who knew places like that still existed!!).

I would give it at 5 except that the food choices are a bit limited. My husband and I usually come here for breakfast on Saturday mornings and there are surprisingly few choices for breakfast food. They have muffins and one breakfast sandwich. Other than that, there isn't much to choose from. They do have a nice selection of other treats, which vary from time to time. Plus, they have a few panini's to choose from. I've never tried any of those, so I can't comment on quality, but everything looks yummy!

Overall, I really like this place! Families are welcome.

Courtney C, Owner at Kaldi's Coffee Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2015

We are so honored to be one of you and your husband's go-to coffee spots! It's especially flattering to know what a great impression our friendly staff has made on you -- you'll always deserve a smile and a warm welcome when you choose to walk through our doors. We know you posted this a few months ago, but we just wanted to touch base and thank you so much for sharing your kind words. We look forward to the next time we get to have you by for some tasty drinks, eats and maybe a comfy couch to hang out on!

Thanks so much,