“A Decent Mexican Lunch”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

I came to Mi Rancho for a late lunch on a whim (it had been many years since my last visit). Located on a short, lightly traveled road which angles up from Colesville Rd. a block west if Georgia Ave., it's a fair-sized place that has always seemed mostly empty to me. Must be just the time of day when I've been around. The gent who saw me to my table had a pleasant, proprietary air. Servers were energetic. The chicken enchiladas I ordered came piping hot and quite tasty. And the salsa and chips were pretty good, too.

Reviewed 25 September 2017

The Washington Post ranked Mi Rancho in Silver Spring as the second best Tex-Mex restaurant in the D.C. area. Based on my experience today, that's overly generous.

Mi Rancho's chips are thin and crispy. The salsa tastes a bit like spicy tomato soup. My chicken burrito topped with a creamy sauce was quite good. The price, though was higher than I typically pay for Tex-Mex. My lunch of a grilled chicken burrito -- served with rice, lettuce, some chopped tomato, and a small dollop of sour cream -- plus a Coke was $20 before tip.

Speaking of the tip, the service was quite good. Chips and salsa arrived at the table almost immediately and the waiter came by regularly to check on us.

We sat outside on the patio on an atypically warm late September Sunday. There were fans hanging from the awning that covered the large patio, but it was still felt warmer there than outside.

While I enjoyed my meal, I have had better Tex-Mex for less elsewhere in Maryland.

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

It is a nice looking place in the middle of downtown Silver a Spring. Every aspect of our meal was mediocre and nothing was outstanding. Probably the salsa was the best element. The margarita was okay. I got the steak fajitas. They were spiced okay and ver salty, portion not very large for $20. They did not give a great deal of guac or other accompaniments. The tortilla were okay bit several of our were undercooked. The guac itself was very oniony. Again, none of the food was bad, just none was good. My wife had the veggie fajitas and she also found them mediocre. The prices were a bit high for the value. Not sure we will be going back though it is in a nice spot in downtown.

1  Thank Slingerrob
Reviewed 10 September 2017

Mi Rancho is a really great place for carne asada, machine-made tortillas, and enchiladas. The veggie fajitas particularly stand out. Service is typically excellent, waiting time is negligible, and food is excellent.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Mi Rancho is new to us. We loved the salsa, fajitas and margaritas. And the outdoor covered patio was a fun place to take it all in.