“I'm addicted!”

Sushi De Kanpai Japanese
Ranked #12 of 225 Restaurants in Salisbury
Reviewed 24 March 2018

Their California Rolls are amazing and I'm excited to keep going back and try more items from their menu!

Reviewed 2 February 2018

I am not the sushi police or the Auditor General of Sushi regulations; that being said, my take out sushi experience during lunch on a Wednesday literally left me visually "in awe" and "wanting more". Having briefly assessed prior reviews here and on Yelp (since highly rated) it was noted that Tuesdays are discounted or perhaps even buy one get one roll days. Did the place run out of key ingredients the night before? Were the sushi guys so exhausted from Tuesday they couldn't see straight? were they upset that I didn't dine-in and down-sized my take-out order? Or were these smaller than a quarter mini bites the standard roll size and I was crap out of luck for saying so?

As a sushi lover, I have seen and tried many types at restaurants, grocery stores, even gas stations (seen but definitely have not tried on this one), and these were the smallest (in height and diameter) rolls I have EVER seen (see picture--a rarity that I took one). But as Bryant Gumbel on HBO's Real Sports show says, "let's move on".

Quality over quantity. For the rolls I ordered (Mexican, Dynamite, and Dancing eel), there were tasty, given the area's geographical location. Perhaps that's why I bemoan the size, since I wanted /craved more (but who wouldn't, if it's decent fare?).

Intangibles: ginger and wasabi were standard (although wished for a little more of the latter). To my heart/BP's happiness, nice touch that they provided lower sodium soy sauce packets. Place is located on a weird one way plaza street with minimal parking spots, so as a visitor who does not have a permit, side street metered parking your option. The place reminded me more of a diner-esque style than true restaurant look and feel. Both staff women that engaged me were courteous. Of note,the website links do not list any pricing, which I found very odd.

Having re-read my comments, and recollecting that a number of prior reviewers had mentioned price to value concerns (and therefore suggesting going on discounted days and times), the "get what you pay for" motto doesn't jive with me, since based on size/amount, my purchase should have been part of one of those discounted deals. Alas, that is my two bits, which as forewarned, are bigger than rolls.

1  Thank BlearyBusinessBum
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

Have eaten here consistently over the last 11 years and we have never had a meal that was less than spectacular. Kumi has a great group of caring staff that always puts 110% into your meal & experience.

Sushi is always the freshest, changing specials, great suggestions from Zora, Sarah or Jen. I would give Kanpai 10 stars if I could. You will never be disappointed.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

We usually eat here several times a year. Their sushi is very good, bento box offers a great sampling. We do feel that they are a little pricey but we've never had a bad meal and it nice downtown.

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

We arrived on a Thursday evening and we were seated immediately. There is a bar and sushi bar along with a handful of tables. Not a lot of seating so I was glad we arrived at a time that wasn't very busy. Waitress was prompt in taking our orders. There were times during our visit she disappeared for periods of time but it didn't pose much of an issue. We started with the shrimp & veggie tempura which was more than enough for 2 people. The tempura coating was perfect, not greasy and not too much. I liked the variety of veggies they chose also. Hubby ordered a 1/2 price cocktail (Pink Blossom)which was a special they were offering (not sure if that is every Thursday night). This was an amazing deal on already great priced cocktails. I also ordered a side of cucumber kimchi which was good but wasn't your typical fermented kimchi. It was as if they just cut up cucumbers into spears and put seasoning on them. For our meals I ordered the Mainstreet sushi. I liked the flavor combinations and it was extremely fresh and not fishy tasting at all. I always get sushi made with soy paper instead of nori. Here, it is available at a $1 extra. Hubby ordered the Tempura soba which came with another plate of tempura veggies and shrimp. I thought the shrimp tempura came with mine but the server said that the plate was with his meal. That was a lot of food for only $9.50. They also have a great dessert selection. I opted for the mochi. They had about 6 flavors and you can pick 2 for $3.50. They were very fresh tasting and I enjoyed the flavors I chose. We will definitely be back. Price, variety, serving size and half price cocktails made this a more than enjoyable meal for 2 (with a takeout box) for $54.30 before tip!