“Probably more like 3 1/2 stars, but the wait staff pushed it up to a four.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Luckys & Peps Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria
Ranked #7 of 12 Restaurants in Forestville
Reviewed 6 April 2018

My girlfriend and I are always trying to find time to catch up - she lives in Willoughby and I'm way up north past Narrabeen, so we chose a half way point - the Forestville shops - AKA "The Centre". Let me apologise now to the good and hardworking shopkeepers and restaurateurs of "The Centre", but this mall really needs a nuclear bomb to detonate and destroy the lot, so that it can be rebuilt from scratch. The whole strip is just looking so tired and dated. Every shop looks sad and unloved and it was impossible for me to maintain eye contact with my friend as I kept getting distracted by the enormous cockroaches scuttling up and down the tree in the little planted area next to where we were sitting.

None of which is a reflection on Lucky and Peps. We sat outside, and, if the Centre were redeveloped, it would have been really pleasant as, unlike a lot of outdoor venues, there was no traffic whizzing by. There are seats inside as well, but the long, narrow layout of the premises makes the outside seats a better bet. We weren't overly hungry and decided to share a pizza and a salad. Good selection of both and the waitress helpfully advised us that we might as well go for the "Family" sized pizza as it was only $1 more. Good call, as the "Family" sized is not huge by any stretch. The Greek salad we ordered was excellent - perfect ratio of every ingredient (don't you hate it when you order a Greek Salad and there's literally 3 cubes of feta, so you have to fight over them?). This one was packed with big hunks of cucumber, tomato, feta and olives and the dressing was lovely and tangy. Big tick for the salad.

Unfortunately I can't say the same for the pizza. I almost suspect that they brought us the gluten free option by mistake as the texture of the base was more biscuity-crunchy, rather than semi- crispy and chewy. I love gluten. Bring it on. That's what makes sourdough and pizza bases so unctuous - this base tasted more like pastry than dough. We chose the Rocket and Proscuitto version and there was plenty of each ingredient, plus some shaved parmesan, so that was all fine. It's just that I want a more authentic base. Maybe I've been spoilt by wood fired pizzas, like the ones they do at the Newport. The Lucky and Pep owners (who I know have been proudly operating since 1979 which is a great achievement) could perhaps think about sending their pizza chefs off to the Newport for a bit of a sabbatical to pick up a few tips. Vinnie's pizzas at the Newport are the bizz. That's the kind of pizza I was imagining - that crunchy base with the charred bottom, but still that chewy after bite when you get to the fatter crust.

The good news is that we managed to have a fabulous night - courtesy of the outstanding wait staff. The young blond lady who served us (I'm going to get names next time), was absolutely delightful. She could not have been more helpful and eager to please. And then a lovely young man came out towards the end of the meal to check on us. He had such a bright and engaging manner - we felt very special. Another highlight was the bill. As Lucky and Peps is BYO, we only spent $30!!! My friend couldn't believe it. It would have been that much each if we'd eaten in Willoughby.

So, we've resolved to catch up once a month from now on. Will we go back to Lucky and Peps? I'm going to give them a few more goes. I'll order a pizza again, but this time making sure we aren't given a gluten free one by mistake, but if it's no better then I'll try a different dish. If that's a fizzer then we'll have to scout around for another "Centre" gem.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

Came here with our small grand children whilst visiting from Melbourne and it’s a very relaxed outdoor dining experience. The pizzas were very good and the kids spaghetti napolitana excellent! Service non existing but a nice outdoor area to enjoy.

Reviewed 8 February 2018

We had a Garlic pizza for starters then my husband & brother in law ordered an entree of garlic prawns then we all ordered main courses - 6 of us. Garlic pizza came in good timing then we waited for a very long time, then all the main courses came??? But what about our garlic prawn entree we asked. Whoops, sorry then a few minutes later, the prawns arrived. Now one of the nicest things about garlic prawns is to dip some bread into that delicious oil- we asked many times for bread but nothing arrived. I went to the counter to see if I could take the bread out for them, they said soon - it only had to be cut - not toasted or anything, anyway the bread eventually came. All the main courses were quite nice except for our granddaughters bolognese - I don't know what type of meat they used but it wasn't very nice and was not eaten.
Now dessert. We asked for 4 tiramisus as the waitress said they were made on the premises and 1 chocolate mousse was ordered too. There were only 2 portions of tira misu left and 2 sticky date puddings. The tira misu was only so so, I can make a better one with my eyes closed and the sticky date puds were very ordinary - we would not order them again. NOW to mention the chocolate mousse - I think the chef as asleep when they were made because there was not one grain of sugar - it was absolutely inedible and so very bitter.
The staff were great and very helpful, the evening was pleasant because we sat outside on a very balmy night and the company was great. I think we would go again but only for mains and have dessert elsewhere

Reviewed 18 January 2018

Never mind their delicious pizzas why not try their fabulous pasta dishes which are so full of flavour and irresistible. The staff couldn't be more helpful if they tried.

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

Best spaghetti Napoletana I’ve ever had! (And I’ve been to Italy!)
We are regular customers and love the luckys and peps pizzas! Filled with delicious toppings and crunchy base! We have tried mostly everything on the menu and are not disappointed with anything! We will continue being weekly customers!