“Not so hot....”

Ranked #34 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Wahington DC
“Not so hot....”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

1) This hotel boasts of wifi, but it is so very slow that it is virtually impossible to load any web pages. I was attempting to keep up with my studies while in Ocean City, but had to click on a web page and then find something to do while the page loaded.
2) There are NO phones in the room. If you want to communicate with someone else staying at the hotel, you have to climb up or down the narrow stairs and then attempt to find their room in the convoluded set-up.
3) The place is old and musty, the rooms are SERIOUSLY small. There is no place to hang your clothing, put your suitcase, etc. The rooms were VERY VERY tiny. The bathroom is in much need of repair and update and the desk clerk spoke broken English at best. She then got irritated when we asked for clarification.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel. The rooms here are too small to turn around in!
2 Thank CassiK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Loveville
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Hotel security has issues with no security personnel. There were loud noises and arguments all night in rooms as well as outside the building. The hotel does not have alarm clocks or phone in rooms. Must use cell phone to call front desk and there are no external security locks on doors. Maids enter rooms without knocking. I told maid not to enter and my room was not made and towels were not left. Also when utilized the additional bed, it was dirty from previous renter. Parking is bad which could lead to vehicle damage.

Room Tip: keep cell phone handy to call front desk and police. Get room closest to stairs.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank rosefreder

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 August 2011

After much searching the internet and many phone calls we thought we found a nice economical place to spend our family vacation at the beach. Yay. Until arrival. DO NOT go by the pictures on the internet. Very misleading. We pulled into the parking area ( we had two vehicles because there were six in our party) that was very small and cramped but hey, we'll make due. We went inside the office around 2pm to check in. They said the room wasnt ready yet and that check in wasnt until 4pm anyway but they would give us a parking permit so we could leave our car there until our room was ready. They would only give us a permit for one vehicle and said that we would have to find street parking somewhere else for the second vehicle. We decided that since we were only a block from the boardwalk that we would go grab an early dinner before we checked in to get that out of the way. At dinner we decided that by the looks of the outside of the hotel that it would be best if we looked at the 2 bedroom apartment before we checked in to see what it actually looked like. This is where the real disappointment begins. Upon entering the apartment it looked as if it were some sort of a frat house with stains on the floors and walls, a kitchen table that looked like it belonged along side the street with a "free" sign on it, the place smelled bad, and the bathroom tile looked as if someone tried to paint the grout black because it was stained that bad with missing tile. We decided to go back to the front desk and ask for a refund and take our chances trying to find somewhere else to stay due to the overall condition of the apartment. We were told that it is not in their policy to refund the deposit regardless of what we thought of the place. (In dispute with my credit card company right now). This is a huge vacation area and we came to the decision that if we couldnt find another place to stay that we would hop back in the vehicles and make the four and a half hour return trip home. IT REALLY IS THAT BAD. After walking up and down the area for a couple hours and a dozen or so inquiries to other hotels/motels that could possibly accomodate our 6 person party we finally found another 2 bedroom apartment at The Commander Hote. 100% upgrade. The price was about $200 more for the five night stay but it was well worth it. Very clean, Very well maintained and a very understanding and professional staff. I do highly recommend The Commander Hotel. Now, if I was an 18 year old recently graduated from high school at the beach for senior week with intentions of drinking my way in to oblivion while at the beach the Buckingham would be fine as I wouldnt have to worry about breaking or ruining anything in my drunken stupor. I dont see how anyone stays at the Buckingham hotel. At least not in the apartment building.

1 Thank MarkW1971
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 August 2011

This is the third time I've stayed at the Buckingham, and it will be our last. Started with wrong info on their website, but due to it being the cheapest still, and so close to the boardwalk, I sucked it up for my family and booked the room. Tub was broke, either water was burning hot or freezing cold, basically had to break in to my own room every time I unlocked the door because the door wouldn't open, and had to continually ask for more towels. It is cheap and close to the beach/boardwalk, and yes, you get what you pay for, but next year I'll pay the extra money.

1 Thank cody h
Philadelphia
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Reading past reviews, I was terrified of this place and fuming when my friend informed me that he'd booked us a room for a quick weekend getaway at the last minute. My only salvation came from the couple recent reviews that appear to have been published post-renovation. All in all, my experience wasn't terrible. This isn't exactly the hotel you recommend to others or want to spend more than 2 days in, though.

Rolling up to this place, I was convinced a young Anthony Perkins (or worse, a young Vince Vaughn) would come traipsing out of the door to help me with my bags. The fact that our bathroom had a small door with a missing knob on it that connected to the adjacent motel room didn't help ease my fears that I'd be hearing stuccato violins during my last seconds on this earth. Thankfully, that's about all that's off-putting about this place. Apparently the renovations they did recently were sufficient because during a 2 night, 3 day stay I didn't see one insect or discarded condom (inside...the parking lot had a stray Lifestyles wrapper blowing about in the wind. Though better safe than sorry) that other, pre-renovation reviews mentioned. Linens were clean and the bathroom was spotless, if only a bit old. The whole place needed new wallpaper altogether. And I couldn't imagine staying in that small of a room for more than 2 nights without killing whoever I was with.

The two staff I encountered weren't terrible or rude. Just strange. The cleaning lady was spunky and sassy but never delivered on the clean linens she promised us. I had to bring our wet towels to the girl at the front desk who appeared younger than I am (23), who told me I "cccoooooould have new towels, but they're all in the dryer". Thankfully, after returning from dinner later that night, a pile of fresh towels were waiting for us when we opened our door. The parking lot was cramped, and the other guests there seemed to be young kids who were about 2 months too late celebrating Senior Week, or people who just didn't know any better/had no other choice...95% of the hotels this past weekend were rocking the NO VACANCY sign, including Buckingham.

Basically, this is a place to rest your (hopefully drunken) head for a night or two when you have no other choice (or money). Don't even dare book a room for a week and bring the kids for a nice family get-away. It's steps from the boardwalk, and it's cheap, but you get what you pay for. Thankfully, the price no longer includes bugs. Or a hillside view of "Mother's house"...

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends