“Weekend Getaway”

Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums
Ranked #33 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My family and I went for a weekend getaway April 20-22. What more can you ask for? This hotel is right along the beach, includes free parking, ice skating, and indoor pool. The room was clean and spacious. The staff was nice and courteous and to top it all off the prices were reasonable. Thanks for a great stay.

2  Thank powz13
carouselresort, Manager at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Thank you so much for your honest - positive review. If you had a great time with us pre-season, give us a shot in June, July or August. Thanks again for letting us make your vacation one to remember, we can't wait to have you again as our guest!

There are newer reviews for Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums

Reviewed 22 April 2012

April 14-21. Family of 5 rented 2bdrm/2bath Condo on 20th floor. Pre season. Free park space (other condos charge you!).Ocean front unit, but unit extends to bayside so you also have balcony on bayside to watch sunsets! Large Condo unit with all new renovation. It was beautifully renovated and furnished! 3 flatscreen TVs so convenient for 3 age groups. Large Master shower with tiled spa floor. Extra blankets for chilly evenings. Kitchen was eat-in with large table for 8! Plenty of dishes, pans, full size fridge, tiled floor in kitchen was so easy to clean up spills and sand. loved it. DVD player in living room. No noise from elevator or neighboring condos at all. Water heater in condo so never a cold shower or change in showertemp. Brand new washer/dryer worked great. Towels, linens and toilet paper/paper towels incl. Grocery store direct across street. Pirateship play ground, Ice Rink that is large - look at the live webcam on hotel website to see how large. A swimming pool opened between 1-10pm, jacussi. Was warm,kept clean, no mold anywhere, plenty of chairs (there were 38 people in pool so big enough) and towels were provided. The gym had 1 elliptical, 2 treadmills and one cycle that needed a battery and full line of weight machines. Some rust, but in working order and very clean with a TV and water cooler. gift shop was well stocked, Atrium area has snack bar that was being renovated and looked great, brand new! 2 sets of elevators 1-11floor and 12-20+ both worked fast, kept clean from sand, fingerprints. Loading zone was super convenient and luggage trollies provided. Check in was quick, Staff was always friendly, security always visible and friendly, helpful. We had no maid service since we were in condo, so can not comment. New balcony rails were being installed on ocean front side. Love the updates they are making. Would highly recommend the condos with all their renovations and upgrades!! Can not beat the ammenities at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ocean front condos have been renovated and with quality fixtures, own water heaters. Atrium hotel ro...
5  Thank butterfly_happy

Thanks for your review, we are so happy you had a memorable vacation!
We know the frustration of a business who nickle and dimes their clientele. Instead of looking for opportunities to tax our customers, we look for opportunities to add real value to the experience. Some things that add free value to the Carousel Experience are free nightly Ice Shows (June 13 - August 21st), free family movie night - and movies on the beach, free family photo night(only for those who book directly through the Carousel reservations, and not a second party booking agency). We do offer complimentary beach chair rentals(only for those who book directly through the Carousel reservations, and not a second party booking agency), free live entertainment, and a restaurant theme night special on every night of the week. It's no wonder we are Ocean City Maryland's favorite family resort. Thanks for letting us make your vacation one to remember! We cant wait to have you as our guest again.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

I have been staying at the Carousel with my family in Ocean City for the past 10 years or so. I've tried a couple other properties, but they never quite measured up. I know that sounds very positive, but basically, in my experience, there are a lot of really crappy hotels in OC, and the Carousel just happens to be less crappy.
The good:
If you have kids, the ice rink, indoor pool and arcade are a godsend. If it's raining, you aren't trapped in a hotel at the beach, which anyone with kids knows is a recipe for infanticide. Ice skating in July is weird, but the kids love it, and have taken advantage of it. It's a unique experience, and a lot of fun.
Deserts: The restaurant isn't great, but they have killer deserts. We often go out to other restaurants, then order room service deserts. OC restaurants tend to have lousy deserts. The carousel has a killer creme brûlée cheesecake and a berry thing that is amazing.
Coffee and ice cream: There's a Starbucks in the middle of the hotel; they have good ice cream and make decent, inexpensive shakes.
Rooms: The rooms are nicer, sizable, and generally clean. I won't talk about the beer can I found under my bed last time. We always get an ocean front room; they have ocean front rooms with a queen and a hot tub, and an ocean front with 2 queens, no hot tub. Both are very nice. Be warned, make sure you don't get a first floor ocean front room, they abut the pool, so you have to deal with screaming kids and have zero privacy.
Indoor pool and hot tub: The indoor pool is quite nice, but as with most indoor pools, it has a lot of hard surfaces, and a lot of screaming kids. One blessing, they actually enforce the "no one under 18 rule in the hot tub", so you get a little bit of a break.
Food: The indoor restaurant is ok, maybe 3 stars, but the outdoor food is quite tasty and reasonable.
The bad:
I said I wouldn't mention the beer can under the bed.
Kids: The Carousel is "family friendly: I go with my family, so perfect, right? Not really. I went in April of 2012 and I would have sweared they rent to 12 year olds because I saw no parenting going on. I have a rule with my kids, enjoy yourself, but don't prevent other people from enjoying themselves. I wish other people employed the same rule. Granted, this isn't the fault of the hotel, but a little more "hey, control your a-hole kids or you'll get kicked out" would be quite welcome.
Employees: As with many OC businesses, the Carousel hires a lot of foreign people. I have no problem with their employees, but I've spoken with a lot of them, and I get the impression that they aren't treated all that great. That bothers me.

So overall, it's relatively clean, overrun with unsupervised kids, has nice facilities, and I'll probably stay there again. But only because the only place I suspect is better is the Hilton, and I'll be damned if I'm going to spend $400 a night to ensure that Parris Hilton doesn't have to get a job.

I'm going for a week this summer, and have decided to go the condo route. More on that in a later review.

Room Tip: If you get an ocean front room , don't be on the first floor or you will have no privacy and it...
1  Thank Arthur C

Thanks for the positive review, we work hard to be better than most in OC! Every year we try to offer new and exciting activities for the kids and families.
You will be happy to know we are re working our menu and will have some new and exciting entree items, as well as deserts for this upcoming Summer season. Get excited for more cheesecake berry things!
The Bistro is not a Starbucks, but it does have a wide assortment of treats, caffeinated beverages and Krispy Kreme donuts.
Some families do prefer the Ocean Patio room and do prefer to have quick access to our back patio and pool. Our reservationists do a great job of describing the room types and attending to our customers vacation expectations appropriately.
As for our rental policy we do not rent to anyone below the legal age and do apologize for the actions of the other family's conduct. Our security is always a friendly presence and can assess the situation if brought to their attention.
As for our foreign staff, we compensate our seasonal employees better than the majority of OC business's. They receive good hourly pay, paid breaks, a flexible schedule, free food and a free uniform. Its no wonder that so many of the foreign J-1 Visa students return to OC to work for multiple seasons at the Carousel. We do value our employees and it's important to keep them happy so they can personify that attitude onto our guests.
Thanks again for your review, we can't wait to have you as our guest this upcoming Summer season!

Reviewed 19 April 2012

My family and I have enjoyed a relaxing vacation to Ocean City, MD for the past several years. Having two small children to bring along lat summer, we decided to stay at the Carousel for several reasons.

I came across this video on YouTube: ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkKd1bZ-5t0 ) and knew right away this was the place for us. As the video clearly indicates, the Carousel Staff is enthusiastic, friendly, and well-spoken. Further, Each employee was more than willing to answer any questions my family had about the hotel or about the Ocean City area in general.

Traveling with two children, my family desired to stay somewhere that offered activities for both adults and kids. Like most hotels in Ocean City, the Carousel has both an indoor and outdoor pool. What sets the Carousel apart from the other resorts in Ocean City, however, were the other activities the Carousel offers. There is an ice rink located in the Atrium of the Carousel. Ice skating was a fun family activity that gave us a break from the beach when we needed it and gave us something to do when the weather was bad (not to mention the boys that worked in there were really cute and funny). We were amazed at the pristine condition of ice, especially when considering how hot it was outside (it didn't melt at all!!!!). We were also fortunate to see Ice Skating Show put on by professional skaters. My kids absolutely loved getting autographs from the skaters and dancing along to the fun and bubbly songs during the show. Also, for those parents looking to get away and relax for an evening, the resort offers a program called Camp Carousel which is essentially a day camp for children. The Camp provides kids with a variety of activities (including games, arts and crafts, movies, and a front row seat to the ice skating show) as well as dinner and ice cream. The kids loved and it and my husband and I got away for some much needed alone time ;). The Carousel also hosted a Movie on the Beach which was something great for the family to do at nighttime.

I would definitely suggest getting an Ocean Front Room. Our Room was on the 9th floor and was immaculate. It seemed as though the Carousel was located closer to the beach than the surrounding condos and it was great waking up every day to the beach. There were no problems with the room whatsoever and the Housekeeping staff was always very friendly and outgoing.

Lastly, the Carousel's location cannot be beaten. We had never stayed so far north before and did not realize what we were missing. There are tons of great restaurants, mini golf courses, and shops in the general vicinity which are easily walkable. Northside Park is only a few blocks away. There is a lot of stuff to do there and there is a fireworks show on the 4th of July which we were able to watch from the Carousel!! While we did have to drive or take the bus to get to downtown Ocean City, it was well worth the brief trip. Traveling with a family, it was nice to not always be surrounded by those rowdy college kids! Hard to believe that was me 25 years ago!! :) We liked that it was close to the surrounding Delaware beaches too, where some of our friends were staying.

I would highly recommend everyone stay at the Carousel. Having stayed at other condos such as the Hilton, the Clarion, and the Princess Royale (dont even get me started!), I can truly say that they do not compare to the Carousel. My family and I will absolutely be returning this summer and can't wait to vacation in style at the Carousel!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Jan D
carouselresort, Manager at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Thank you so much for your genuine review of your stay! We work hard to make sure your vacation is one to remember and it makes all of our jobs so much more rewarding to hear our hard work has not gone unnoticed. Our ice skating rink has just gotten 2 new compressors under the rink and they are working great! The ice show is a highlight of many family's vacations and its great your kids could enjoy our Camp Carousel.

North Ocean City is definitely an up and coming area. Not enough people know about how beautiful Northside Park is, or all the activities that are unique to North Ocean City.

Thanks again for your business, we can't wait to have you as our guest again!

Reviewed 18 April 2012

First, I don't know how these places stay open off-season, so I can't throw too many stones. For these prices (Off-season) to have a room overlooking the ocean, the room doesn't have to be 4 star. The room was nice, the bathroom not so much. Staff was fantastic, pool was clean, parking good. The sports bar and separate restaurant were very good, very accommodating. Lots for young kids to do. Indoor Ice skating.

Again, not the best room we've stayed in, but when you're on the beach, you don't think about your room much.

2  Thank goharris

Thanks so much for your much appreciated business. We are so happy you found our staff "fantastic!" Although our Oceanfront rooms offer amazing views, flat screen tv's, new beds and bed spreads they might still be considered standard when compared to a luxury hotel. We make sure our rooms are comfortable, clean, and nice and although they have granite counter tops, one might not consider them 4 star. Thanks again for all the kind words about our sports bar and restaurant. Its something we have been always updating and its nice to hear positive feedback from the people who matter the most; our customers. We can't wait to have you as our guest again!