“It's their policy... ”

Add it.
Kobe Japanese Steak & Seafood
Ranked #30 of 64 Restaurants in Lanham
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

As a fan of local Japanese Steakhouses, I was excited to realize that there was one so close to home in the Woodmore Shopping Centre. Well, we were immediately seated and our drink order was placed. Then, I was asked for my food order within 60 seconds of being seated. I had barely gotten settled and opened the menu. But, whatever. I ordered the Hibachi Steak Entree. Or so I thought.

After about 10 minutes, Johnny the Chef came out and began our entrees. The fried rice was made... Then the noodles and veggies hit the grill. Wait a minute... Where were the soups and salads? I started to doubt my order. Maybe this hibachi chain did things differently. Then I watched 2 other tables get both soup and salad. So, I asked Johnny. Since our server had vanished, the CHEF had to ask the MANAGER.

So, rice was on MOST plates, veggies and noodles were cooking and we had two separate servers (still not our initial server) bring out lukewarm soup and salads simultaneously. I, however, had ordered STEAMED rice and was still waiting for it as my veggies and noodles were added to the plate and the proteins were cooking. When my steak was placed on my plate, I got the managers attention - yeah, the guy in the white shirt who already knew our service had been compromised - and he brought my little bowl of steamed rice from the kitchen.

Another couple at the table had to ask this same manager for a second round of drinks at the server was still MIA. By now, I'm expecting the manager go offer the table a discount, a complimentary drink, gift card, anything??

Suddenly, our original server blows out of the kitchen and snatches my boyfriends soda glass for a refill. She then works on refills on another table before asking the others, myself included, if we needed anything. I just wanted a water since my adult beverage had long been gone.

The chef finishes, we tip him in cash and the meal commences. The server has ghosted again and we have to ask the manager (white shirt guy) for to go Containers. Then our little server chick has the audacity to bring our checks - for full price. At the same time, the Appetizers another couple ordered arrived - after the late soup, the late salad, the entire entree, and even the check. At least server girl was quick enough to remove that from their bill.

I was still angry having had to ask for the soup salad, AND my rice. So I took my $81.00 bill and requested some reciprocation from Mr.White shirt. He snatched my bill and offered me a $10 discount. Basically, he covered my drink. I told the other parties at my table and they too asked for reciprocation. One of the couples explained that they were seated, then asked to move and if we did not like their service it was "their policy" to add gratuity to the bill.

Well, all I can say is after this experience I will happily drive north to Fuji or Dakota or south to Hanabi as this experience left a sour taste in my mouth. Everyone at the table agreed that we should have gone somewhere else. Especially if your policy is horrid service.

Date of visit: April 2018
2  Thank nasteekatt

Reviewed 9 March 2018

Went for a bday party with party of about 11 on a Saturday evening, initially was going elsewhere but wait time was an hour or more and the places I had chosen did not take reservations, Called Kobe asked how long wait time for party of 11 told 30 minutes ok fine, get there with whole party, I don't think we waited 10 mins and we were seated, orders being taken and cocktails on the way. We even had a few other people join our party late but they were quickly seated and orders taken. The chef was great and entertaining. The tip was included so that was great also.

Date of visit: February 2018