“Has potential, worth stopping in”
Review of DeJon Winery

DeJon Winery
Ranked #2 of 2 things to do in Hydes
Reviewed 18 September 2016 via mobile

While many of their wines are not yet made with local grapes - they do a good job with the juice they get, and I do understand that when you're starting out, you start with what you know. This fairly young winery definitely has a lot of potential. Later this year they will be bottling their first vintage of Chambourcin (their estate grapes from their 5-year-old vines), and they do try to use or blend with grapes from a neighboring winery. I'm looking forward to returning in another year or three, especially if they discover more east-coast and especially mid-Atlantic sources for their other varietal grape needs. But even in the mean time, if you happen to be passing through, it's worth popping-in here.

Reviewed 6 September 2016

We visited DeJon on Saturday after having a not so pleasant experience at a nearby winery. DeJon was a great surprise. Not only were the wines very nice, but Brian provided excellent service. It was so nice to sit on the porch and relax without large crowds. It's a winery that I am sure will grow more. Keep up the good work and we'll be back.

Reviewed 29 June 2016

This is a relatively new start-up winery that deserves better than some of the nasty comments I read. We have visited dozens of wineries from CA, WA, OR, ID, VA and MD so we are not naive. We recently attended a graduation party here and found the wines to be acceptable, not the best we have ever tasted but certainly not the worst! Nothing tasted or smelled like manure.........horrible comment by that person. As far as the ambiance, it is a rustic barn-like structure--again not the first such setting we have ever visited. The table tops are in fact plywood, placed on top of wine barrels which we thought went well with the rustic decor--no big deal unless you are some type of picky snob. The grounds were also nice. The wines we tasted--pinot grigio, chardonnay, vidal blanc, merlot, and chambourcin all were acceptable versions that fit the characteristics usually associated with those types. I can't comment on their tasting prices or policies since ours was a sponsored event but overall I would say this winery was worth gicing a chance.

2  Thank Ed Z
Reviewed 23 December 2015

This is such a cute vineyard, and it has a very authentic feel. The wines are great, and the staff was excellent. It's in a barn, it's got a lot of tables for you to bring like a picnic and it's a beautiful view.