“Very good food, average service”
Review of Greenmount Station

Greenmount Station
Ranked #4 of 31 Restaurants in Hampstead
Price range: USD 7 - USD 23
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located in historic Hampstead, Maryland, Greenmount Station Restaurant & lounge is one of the areas most popular meeting spots. Join family & friends for a casual, upbeat atmosphere, fantastic food, icy cold beer - 10 beers on tap & over 75 bottled selections, creative cocktails. Menu selections range from juicy burgers, sandwiches, seafood specialties, including award winning crab cakes, prime rib & a variety of daily specials & desserts. Something for everyone! Catering menu available. Party rooms for special events.
Reviewed 9 May 2018

The title says it all. The food was very good, but the service was only average and the food was slow to come to the table. In the restaurant's defense, there was a party of 40 in a large dining room, and the server told us their meals were all going to be prepared before anyone else's.

Reviewed 4 May 2018 via mobile

Flew into BWI this morning and we always go to Greenmount Station for lunch and a chat ...we sat in the bar area and service was good ...drinks were cold and my wings were the best I have had in a long time ...our shrimp pizza was good too ...another visit will call for another lunch at Greenmount.

Reviewed 2 May 2018

We used to come here regularly and enjoyed it. In the last year especially, this place has steadily declined. Our last several experiences have left us feeling like we just can't eat there anymore. But we gave them another shot to see if they've gotton their act back together last night. Worse experience yet. We were seated and waited and waited for a waitess to come over. She immmediately said she didn't see us there. DIDN't SEE US? You know that's your section. Even if it truly is the hostesses job to let you know you have a table, it's still your responsibility to have a glance at your section from time to time. We didn't wait too long for our food but I quickly realized, after somebody other than our waitress dropped our meals to us, that my meal wasn't what I ordered. She never came back. I had to get someone to hunt her down. She finally shows up and realizes that yes, it was her mistake, she put the order in wrong and placed the order a second time. So I wait and wait and wait while fairly hungry but I'm waiting. Waitress stops by and says that my order should be up and she'll be right back with it and she dissappears again for another 15 minutes. She resurfaces with a giant tray of someone eles's food and mine in the mix- she waited for another table's order to be ready before bringing mine that was ready knowing that I'm waiting doubletime now for my order??????? Meanwhile, my boyfriend sat there with no drink refill because the busboy was too busy chatting with the crew at the bar. The waitress said she would remove the charge of my meal from the bill. The manager stopped by and asked how we were enjoying our meal. We told her. She offered us each a free dessert. I really didn't want one but she insisted so ok, we looked at the dessert menu and she walked away. We each selected a dessert option and was actually feeling better about the ordeal and getting excited for the dessert. The manager returned, we thought to take our dessert order, but instead, she said she now won't be giving us the dessert because the waitress removed the meal charge and didn't discuss it with her first. The hits just kept on coming. Get it together Greenmount! If we didn't really enjoy coming there before, I wouldn't be so angry now. I would just chalk it up to another restaurant gone bad from a change in management or something and stop going. I just can't go back.

Reviewed 16 April 2018

My daughter and I stopped by for lunch yesterday. We hadn't been in a while and really like the new menu. Something for everyone.

Daughter had a turkey burger with grilled asparagus and enjoyed it.

Like a previous reviewer, I also had the crab cake platter with grilled asparagus. However, unlike the previous reviewer, I was not drinking and enjoyed my meal. Crab cake was loaded with backfin meat. Asparagus was perfectly done. My side salad was fresh and tasty meal too. The prices were fine for the portion sizes, freshness and quality. Solid value. No complaints. Our waitress was friendly and attentive. We will absolutely be back!

Reviewed 4 April 2018

To be honest, I'm not sure WHERE to begin.

I used to enjoy visiting Greenmount Station. In previous visits (3), I always ordered the crab cake platter with the grilled asparagus and don't recall ever being disappointed. My Mom believes it's because I was drinking as well and just didn't notice a bad meal. She may be right.

Last Easter, the 'family' went to Greenmount for lunch after church. As stated, I remember it was good food but both my husband and my brother in law begged to differ and begrudgingly went along with the ditto plan this year: church and Greenmount for lunch.

OK. Let's start with the reservation. My sister made it for 'between 12:15 and 12:30', since we weren't quite sure when the church service would end. At 12:20, as we were exiting the church doors, my sister received a call asking if we would be honoring our reservation as if not, the table would need to be forfeited. Yes, we drove like mad to the restaurant, only to find that we were the only table with people in the entire restaurant portion of the facility. The two booths in front of us remained vacant the entire time we were there and we overheard only one other family on the other side - they came after us and did not stay as long as we did. No worries! We chalked it up to a waitress that was probably hoping to go home and celebrate the holiday with her family. Sorry.

So we were seated and our waitress came. I don't recall her name, because she never told us. She was young and clearly inexperienced and we were forgiving - it's Easter, after all. She asked for our drink orders, suggested that we read the drink menu when we asked about certain beverages, asked if water would be needed and disappeared. No appetizers were offered, no bread or rolls were EVER brought to the table, and yes, she did come back with one club soda, a mix up on the two white wines (I guess more that one becomes confusing), one warm red wine and a cold Bud. The Bud was the highlight of the drinks. We were never asked if we wanted more drinks the entire time we were there.

So, on to the food. Our unnamed waitress had no idea what the soup choices were when asked so fortunately, we had a print out of the Easter offerings and gave her one of our copies. It was a seafood soup, by the way, and two of us ordered that. It was basically a spicy seafood broth. One of us ordered the Maryland Crab and spent most of her time picking shells. Two ordered the Cream of Crab and after my husband STOOD HIS SPOON UP in the bowl, we sent it back and asked for them to be removed from the bill. An alternative was not offered.

Then the main courses. Ah. The main courses. My sister and I ordered the crab cake platters with the grilled asparagus. And, like the soup, spent time picking shells out from between our teeth. My Mom ordered the crab melt, which was served on a dry, toasted English Muffin, no tomato, no mayo, no nothing. She drank her wine to 'get it down', as she later told me. My husband ordered the Rueben and left more than half on his plate. He later told me that it was fatty and greasy and left 'that taste' in his mouth. He also receive sweet potato fries even though he expected the chips that came with it (my hubby is not a sweet potato fan). And my daring brother in law ordered a bison burger, which he later said was 'not the best he's ever had'. I'm sure - it was dry looking from where I was sitting and I'm guessing from the amount of mayo he put on it, it rivaled Mom's crab melt on dryness. He received cole slaw instead of the chips that came with THAT and was told that was a chef decision. He had to ask for the chips, twice, before they were provided.

AND being the dessert freak that I am, yes, I ordered dessert because it's easy and how can you possibly screw up cake? Well .. let's count the ways, shall we? The Smith Island cake was not. 10 of the 16 layers were missing. And we got chocolate whether we wanted it or not because the menu, apparently, lies. We also ordered the homemade strawberry shortcake, which led to gathering our napkins together to soak up the water on the plate that was an apparent byproduct of the strawberries being thrown on top, undrained, leaving our cake soggy. This strawberry cake actually splashed water on our table as the still unnamed waitress set it down. How she missed that in the delivery, I have no idea.

I forgot to mention that sometime in between lunch and dessert, our waitress came back to ask if there would be anything else or just the check? Since I was still working on asparagus when she asked - like, fork in hand to fork into my mouth - I suggested that she come back when we were not still eating our lunch.

Anyway, as we settled our bill ($140 for six people - including 3 wine, 1 beer, 1 soda, 1 Rueben, 1 Crab Cake Melt, 1 Bison Burger, 2 Crab Cake platters and 2 desserts - plus a 15% tip) and left, my husband and brother in law advised that they will not be participating in Easter next year if Greenmount is part of the plan.

I would have to agree.

1  Thank J E
Chris R, Owner at Greenmount Station, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

I was sorry to read about the disappointing dinner you and your family had here at Greenmount Station on your last visit. I appreciate your feedback and would like to have an opportunity to talk to you about your experience. If you could call the restaurant and ask for me I would appreciate that. It's only because of customers like you, that leave feedback, that allow us to try and correct our mistakes. Thank you.