“Delicious”

Price range: USD 10 - USD 25
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: This is a new branch of the original restaurant in Williamsport, MD.
Reviewed 13 September 2017

This is a chef-owned restaurant and it shows. The food is very good and the service cheerful and efficient. I had the flounder Chesapeake which is a filet of flounder surmounted by a healthy dollop of crab. It came with roasted vegetables and red potatoes. It's not particularly fancy (no tablecloths) but it is wholesome and tasty. It has a bar separated from the dining area by a glass partition. That means you can have a glass of wine or two with dinner. If I lived in the area, I'd be a regular customer.

John W, Owner at Black Eyed Susan, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Thank you for dining with us.

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

We found this place by mistake. And it was a very pleasant mistake. They hostess was very friendly and we were seated right away. We started with the crab dip delicious. My husband had the Italian sausage pasta which surprised me he always order the same -- steak park chop or meat loaf-- he said it was good but a little spicy for him. I had the slow roasted brisket and omg so much food could not finish it all. Every thing was great. Our waiter Nick was very pleasant. I would highly recommend this establishment to anyone. Thank you for a wonderful meal.

John W, Owner at Black Eyed Susan, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Thank you for dining with us and for the kind words.

Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

Traveling from NC and found this gem on TripAdvisor. The food was excellent! From the minute the bread was sat on the table until our last bite of pasta it was delicious. Portions are huge and the kids meal would have been an average size meal. The staff was very friendly and the night we went they had rock painting. Our daughters enjoyed that after a long ride.

1  Thank Tanwilltravel
John W, Owner at Black Eyed Susan, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2017

Thank you for your visit and kind words. I would love to see a photo of the rock your daughter painted.

Reviewed 30 July 2017

I've eaten at Black Eyed Susan a number of times -- perhaps a dozen or more. I have NEVER been disappointed. That said, this evening's meal was exceptional and deserves further comment.

We were greeted enthusiastically on a Saturday evening, in spite of not having a reservation. The restaurant was busy, though not "slammed."

Our server, Coleen, approached us immediately, confirmed that we had the correct regular and special menus, and asked about our drink preferences. Since we had not yet decided on our dinners, we held off on ordering drinks. I confirmed with her that everything on the menu was, in fact, available -- which it was!

I had more-or-less decided before our arrival that I was going to have my traditional favorite pot roast, which the on-line menu confirmed was still offered. Alas, that entree has been replaced and the web offerings not updated. BES's overall web presence is NOT impressive.

Lacking my favored dish, I ordered one of the evening's specials, fried oysters. I confirmed with our delightful server that they were breaded in-house (they were!) The special, which consisted of seven large, juicy oysters, was accompanied by fresh beans and red-skinned potatoes. The entree was preceded by the choice of a house or Cesar salad. I chose the latter.

The Cesar salad dressing was excellent -- neither too sharp nor bland. The greens were crisp and fresh, the croutons house-made and fresh tasting, and the topping of Parmesan crisps made for a delightful start to the meal.

My wife ordered the house salad with blue cheese dressing. The house salad too was fresh and crisp. The blue cheese dressing, made in-house, was very likely the very best I have ever tasted. It was creamy and had just enough real chunks of blue cheese. I really want the recipe!

So -- what else made the dinner special? My wife's steak was cooked to perfection -- medium rare, as requested. The accompanying sides -- the same as with the oysters, were fine.

I mentioned little things in my review title. Who, in this day and age, makes fresh seafood cocktail sauce to serve with top-notch fried offerings? BES does, that's who. I usually eschew that red stuff and ask, instead, for a few additional wedges of lemon. I noticed that the sauce with my oysters was "chunky," so i decided to taste it. Phillips, Durkee's, and others, eat your hearts out. This cocktail sauce is t h e best I have ever tasted. I imposed on our delightful server to score me a small tub of the delightful condiment to take home with my three leftover oysters.

There is only one "downside" to the Black Eyed Susan. It has nothing to do with the food, the bar offerings, the service, or the cleanliness of the facilities. The problem is with the noise level. When the restaurant is full -- or nearly so -- the sound reverberates off the walls and ceilings and conversation can vary between difficult and impossible, depending on the crowd. This is a problem that can be fixed, but it takes the will of the management and a little outlay of cash. Have you ever heard of "Soundsoak?"

1  Thank Seasonedtraveler44
Reviewed 7 July 2017

I work very close to Black Eyed Susan so we regularly pick up lunch from there. The chicken caesar wrap is wonderful and so is the crab dip! Things are a little higher priced than the average person would probably want to spend for lunch, but it is worth it once and a while. The crab fires are good and they have a lot of crab meat on. Ordering pick up is usually a 20-25 min wait time if it is in the lunch hour, so be sure to give plenty of time!