“Little things mean a lot, especially when it comes to dining!”
Review of Black Eyed Susan

Black Eyed Susan
Ranked #10 of 287 Restaurants in Hagerstown
Price range: USD 10 - USD 25
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: This is a new branch of the original restaurant in Williamsport, MD.
Reviewed 30 July 2017

I've eaten at Black Eyed Susan a number of times -- perhaps a dozen or more. I have NEVER been disappointed. That said, this evening's meal was exceptional and deserves further comment.

We were greeted enthusiastically on a Saturday evening, in spite of not having a reservation. The restaurant was busy, though not "slammed."

Our server, Coleen, approached us immediately, confirmed that we had the correct regular and special menus, and asked about our drink preferences. Since we had not yet decided on our dinners, we held off on ordering drinks. I confirmed with her that everything on the menu was, in fact, available -- which it was!

I had more-or-less decided before our arrival that I was going to have my traditional favorite pot roast, which the on-line menu confirmed was still offered. Alas, that entree has been replaced and the web offerings not updated. BES's overall web presence is NOT impressive.

Lacking my favored dish, I ordered one of the evening's specials, fried oysters. I confirmed with our delightful server that they were breaded in-house (they were!) The special, which consisted of seven large, juicy oysters, was accompanied by fresh beans and red-skinned potatoes. The entree was preceded by the choice of a house or Cesar salad. I chose the latter.

The Cesar salad dressing was excellent -- neither too sharp nor bland. The greens were crisp and fresh, the croutons house-made and fresh tasting, and the topping of Parmesan crisps made for a delightful start to the meal.

My wife ordered the house salad with blue cheese dressing. The house salad too was fresh and crisp. The blue cheese dressing, made in-house, was very likely the very best I have ever tasted. It was creamy and had just enough real chunks of blue cheese. I really want the recipe!

So -- what else made the dinner special? My wife's steak was cooked to perfection -- medium rare, as requested. The accompanying sides -- the same as with the oysters, were fine.

I mentioned little things in my review title. Who, in this day and age, makes fresh seafood cocktail sauce to serve with top-notch fried offerings? BES does, that's who. I usually eschew that red stuff and ask, instead, for a few additional wedges of lemon. I noticed that the sauce with my oysters was "chunky," so i decided to taste it. Phillips, Durkee's, and others, eat your hearts out. This cocktail sauce is t h e best I have ever tasted. I imposed on our delightful server to score me a small tub of the delightful condiment to take home with my three leftover oysters.

There is only one "downside" to the Black Eyed Susan. It has nothing to do with the food, the bar offerings, the service, or the cleanliness of the facilities. The problem is with the noise level. When the restaurant is full -- or nearly so -- the sound reverberates off the walls and ceilings and conversation can vary between difficult and impossible, depending on the crowd. This is a problem that can be fixed, but it takes the will of the management and a little outlay of cash. Have you ever heard of "Soundsoak?"

1  Thank Seasonedtraveler44

Reviewed 7 July 2017

I work very close to Black Eyed Susan so we regularly pick up lunch from there. The chicken caesar wrap is wonderful and so is the crab dip! Things are a little higher priced than the average person would probably want to spend for lunch, but it is worth it once and a while. The crab fires are good and they have a lot of crab meat on. Ordering pick up is usually a 20-25 min wait time if it is in the lunch hour, so be sure to give plenty of time!

Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

The food was good. Some of the items were very pricey. The service was good once we were seated. We had to wait awhile for a table. No one was up front.

Reviewed 7 June 2017 via mobile

We had a surprisingly good meal here. The location is in the middle of a a strip of stores -- not a place you would go to unless you were heading to it.

Service was fast and friendly. Decor is basic but clean -- booths and tables.

Lots of menu items from which to choose including a few daily specials. He had a crab cake and steak entree. It was great. My flounder was a bit bland but I enjoyed the side veggies and small potatoes as well as the crab topping.

Each entree comes with a choice of salad -- garden or Caesar. I really liked the salad --very light on the dressing. also loved the addictive bread -- crusty outside and soft inside. A small dish of garlicky herbed olive oil for dipping cones with the bread.

We saw other diners enjoying a huge pasta bowl with mixed seafood. And the beef short ribs looked good as well.

I'd certainly come back but not order the flounder. Think the steak and crab cake is the way to go...

We were too full for desert but they had a peanut butter something and a few chocolate offerings that sounded interesting.

John W, Owner at Black Eyed Susan, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2017

Thank you for your visit. Safe travels.

Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

Our group was thrilled with our meal. staff very informative about the food we were ordering. Large entrée portions. Brisket, pasta, wrap were all excellent. Definitely would go back.

1  Thank lorifred
John W, Owner at Black Eyed Susan, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2017

Thank you for your visit and review. We look forward to seeing you again.