“A Wonderful Indian Dining Experience”
Review of Ananda

Ananda
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Fulton
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 March 2017

If there’s one complaint to have about Ananda, it’s that there are too many great dishes from which to choose. There’s a solution, however: come back again and again, not just on special occasions, which has been our habit.

The Ananda staff and chefs turned our special celebration – my wife’s birthday – into an exquisite one. Starting with the service, it was sparkling: attentive, gracious, responsive, yet never fawning or intrusive.

Now for the meal. For starters, instead of going with our most recent and greatly enjoyed selection – Meat Samosa with Pulled Lamb – we took the advice of Washingtonian’s reviewer and chose the Seasonal Squash Samosa, consisting of the aforementioned squash, peas, leeks, chick peas, spinach and cranberries stuffed in a pastry. Unlike some samosas we’ve had elsewhere, the pastry did not “squash” the flavor and texture of the contents. It was mighty tasty.

Instead of “normal” naan, we took Washingtonian’s suggestion and ordered Kashmiri Naan, which was stuffed with dry fruits and nuts. It had the perfect exterior and internal texture, and the fruits and nuts enriched the flavor quite well.

For our main course we were prepared to order two favorites - Jingha Karari (shrimp sautéed with garlic, ginger, green chillies and coriander) and Shahi Korma, Lamb braised in a cream sauce with nuts and raisins, but were enticed by items on the seasonal specials. I selected the Tandoori braised lamb tenderloin and my wife had the lamb shank, complemented excellently by biryani vegetables. (My wife’s also had cumin infused potatoes.) The meats were tender and their natural flavors greatly enhanced by their respective sauces. We couldn’t have been happier with our selections.

Since we were not rushed, we were able to save room for dessert. For the occasion we shared the Apple Cranberry Cardamom Crisp. It was a wonderful assemblage of its title’s ingredients, also with raisins nuts and some cardamom ice cream in the middle. As the items on the dessert menu is said to vary by the season, just hope this item is available when you dine at Ananda.

In conclusion, I have unrestrained appreciation for the dining experience at Ananda. We’ve dined there enough that I can say without hesitation that they consistently provide excellent meals, atmosphere and service. And we’re most likely to dine there again without waiting for a special occasion…though being there will make it one.

Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

We went here with my in laws for dinner. This is the best Indian cuisine I've ever had! We each ordered a different dish and all ate our entire entree! The food is absolutely delicious with fantastic spices- it all tastes so fresh. The service there is excellent too. They are very attentive and the whole vibe to the restaurant is very cozy and romantic with the little tea lights all around and a fireplace going on each corner of the dining room. This will definitely be added to the list of "go to" restaurants with our family :)

Reviewed 26 February 2017

We've been here many times with family and friends and never had anything we didn't like. My whole family enjoys Indian Cuisine, and this is our favorite place. Try a couple of different appetizers and then share - fun with a group or for couples.

Reviewed 21 February 2017

One of the best Indian restaurants that I've ever visited in the DC/MD area. In fact, it is second only to Rasika. Everything, from the service to the food, is simply top notch! The perfect venue for a special night out! I highly recommend it!

Reviewed 14 February 2017

Ananda is a great place, great atmosphere, great food, and great variety. A leap ahead of most Indian restaurants. Top notch.