“Great Getaway”

Rocky Gap Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Flintstone
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We were able to find a great deal for a mini-vacation and headed out. Beautiful lodge, great (and warm) indoor pool and hot tub, treadmills, and a beautiful setting. We walked around the lake and saw lovely vistas and nature at her winter best. The restaurant prices are higher than we like to pay so we brought sandwiches for bfast and lunch and drove into LaSalle (?) for dinner. The C&O Canal Museum in Cumberland is well worth the trip into town. Informative and very family friendly. Cool town to walk around also.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view. The last time we were there we requested a free upgrade and they were able to...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 January 2012

My family recently had a very poor experience at the Rocky Gap Lodge, which was a direct result of the people that work there. The lodge itself was quite nice, but about half the people seemed quite surly. It was a real shame because the other half of the service staff was pleasant and the facilities were quite nice. I had two bad experiences with the people, one rising to the level that I felt the need to speak to the hotel manager who merely apologized but did not provide any meaningful satisfaction. My spouse and the other couple we were vacationing with also had two additional bad experiences, and we were only there one day. I suspect part of the problem is that once you are on the grounds you really don’t have any other options given its remote location.

We were treated rudely by the desk staff upon check in and at check out. Our worst problem was with the poor service at the Lakeside restaurant. The server was particularly slow and inattentive at getting drinks and the food orders and, after a very long period of no food/drink refills and nobody to ask, I had to seek out a different server to ask where our food was. When our server did bring out the food there was no acknowledgment of the late food or the fact that I had to search the restaurant looking for her. She was inattentive throughout the meal. When we got the bill there was an automatic 20% gratuity added because we were a party of 6 or more. I politely asked that the gratuity be reduced to 15% because I did not think the service merited a 20% gratuity. Our server became belligerent and argumentative at the request – stomping around our table and slamming down dishes. After the manager converted the tip to 15% over the server’s protests, she exclaimed “I hope you can sleep at night” as we departed.

I have travelled all around the country for many years and I dine at restaurants frequently two to three times a week and I have never had such a bad experience. After that evening experience I felt trapped in the hotel since when it came time for breakfast the only option was the same restaurant. My family and the other family we were traveling with decided to skip breakfast and forage other food for our young children rather than go back to that restaurant. At that point all we wanted to do was check out of the hotel and be on our way. All I can say if you are thinking about staying at this hotel is good luck, enjoy the scenery, and bring your own food.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Steven S
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We stayed at Rocky Gap because we were visiting Cumberland for a dinner with a group of friends. We'd stayed before during the winter and had a very nice time. Upon arriving, it was obvious that there was a parking issue as the drive-thru portico where one would park to check in and unload luggage was marked no parking, and there were no open spaces within 100 yards. We made do. Went out to dinner, and came back around 9 PM, only to be directed to a state park lot a good half mile away, to wait in the cold for a "shuttle" for a ride to the hotel - a minivan with room for maybe 5 people. Apparently they had several big parties being hosted (not overnight guests) and all of the guest spaces had been filled by these folks. I really don't appreciate paying the rates this hotel charges in an area where many chain hotels with plenty of parking close by charge half as much. What a joke. Did the staff care? No - "sorry sir, there's nothing we can do". I was tempted to leave on the spot and refuse to pay for my room.

Room Tip: Ask if there are going to be big private parties - if there are, don't bother.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MarkB30251
Reviewed 10 December 2011

We had a nice visit. The hotel itself was very clean and nicely designed. I think a better rating would be 3.5 stars. The hotel did offer a few nice extras like the fire pit with marshmallows and it looked to have lots of fun activities you could participate in with your family. We enjoyed a nice hike around the lake and the kids really liked the aviary. We thought the breakfast buffet was o.k. if you like the buffet thing. It was pretty pricey for what it was - around $12 a person and it reminded me of a glorified version of a typical chain hotel's complimentary breakfast. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank tlovetotravel
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I should have guessed something was different from the room offering descriptions. Didn't have a "king" option and the different combinations seemed strange, but I went ahead because it was the only hotel near the inlaws' home. Check in went ok. No personality at the desk, but they were busy because of a VVA (Viet Nam Vets) meeting and banquet that night. I wondered why everybody I saw seemed my age - they were. The room had two Queens, a chair w/ottoman, desk, closet for hanging clothes, TV and coffee maker. No frig or microwave (guide says they will rent you a frig for additional $15 a night but no mention of microwave). Room and bath were clean, the beds were comfortable and the cable offerings were extensive. Lake view was nice extra. Hall and near-by room noises quite obvious. Bought breakfast option since there is nothing else within 5-6 miles. It was OK, but far from memorable and not worth $16 per person, but there was no other choice. I will stay there again but only because there is nothing else close to my destination.

Room Tip: Lake view is worth the extra, even for a golfer.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank almostretired45
SeniorExecAsstKati, Public Relations Manager at Rocky Gap Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay! We apologize for any confusion about our hotels offerings prior to arrival. For future stays... we have a variety of rooms set-ups here, including accomodations with a king bed. As you mentioned, we do offer a small refridgerator for a nightly fee. The same set-up is also available for a microwave. Requesting a specific room type and an in-room refrigerator and microwave can be done during the reservation process. Thank you again for your review, we look forward to having you back soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Flintstone
5.9 km away
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 5 in LaVale
37.6 km away
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#2 of 4 in Berkeley Springs

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Flintstone

Been to Rocky Gap Casino Resort? Share your experiences!