“Good food and great atmosphere and location”

La Palapa Grill & Cantina
Ranked #19 of 170 Restaurants in Ellicott City
Price range: USD 0 - USD 20
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 24 February 2017

LaPalpa is on the upper end of Main Street. We were there for lunch 2/21/17. Great location, because there is lots of free parking behind the restaurant. Parking can be difficult in Ellicott City. My wife and I had the two soft tacos, one with steak and one with chicken. Both were overstuffed and there was a large scoop of Guacamole on top. They were served with the usual rice and refried beans for $12 each. The appetizer was the free chips and salsa. The salsa was medium hot, chunky and with a bit of a bite. The waiter had a lot of personality and the food arrived promptly. The crowd picked up, but the place was only about half full by the time we left at 1 pm. The atmosphere was great and there was a fire burning in a large fireplace to give the place a warm glow.

1  Thank Bruce L

Reviewed 24 February 2017

Moved to Ellicott City last year after the late July flood. Lucky that la palapa is only few minutes walk from our new place. Family friendly and people are great. Food is fresh and delicious AS ALWAYS! I love listening to their mariachi band. Complimentary tortilla chips and salsa. Variety of Mexican food! It's glad to know they're back. If couldn't decide where to get my meal, I always have la palapa in mind.

Reviewed 14 February 2017

We ate here years ago after a local ghost tour (separate review) and were in the area again so had lunch. It is nice inside and we came in as soon as they opened that Saturday and got a cozy table near the two sided gas fireplace. This was nice and relaxing after walking around outside in the cold and wind. The chips and salsa were good too and we ended up taking our second basket of chips with us. I reheated those the next day and they were still good...I ordered the chicken mole' which is not available on every Mexican menu (I don't know why because it's so good). For the price, though, it was pretty anemic, and by the time it was brought to the table, wasn't warm anymore. They clearly plated it and left it in the kitchen until hubby's fresh, hot fajitas were delivered. It took me no time to finish the portion that was brought to me and for $15.99, wasn't worth it to get that dish. I won't visit there again.

Reviewed 23 January 2017 via mobile

If you appreciate real Mexican food you will love this place. Great flavors. The ambience is great too. We enjoyed the whole experience. The guitarists kept my mom singing "boleros" (Latin ballades to serenade) the whole time.
The shrimp and crap enchiladas, California burrito and fajitas were really good.

Reviewed 22 January 2017

We went to La Palapa shortly after Christmas, and as it was the holidays found it crowded at lunch. We had salads and tacos, and found them average. But the service was poor. We had to ask for silverware and it took forever to get; when we asked for a refill on chips (for which they charge) they arrived after our meal. Too bad. With so many good Mexican restaurants, we have other places to go, with easier parking options.