“Uncle Grubes ”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

Found by google as uncle grubes and smokeys. Real gem of an old fashioned local takeout BBQ joint. Plastic tables clothes and pour your own iced tea from the pitcher in the fridge. Pit pork was awesome. Sides of coleslaw and beans very good and obviously homemade.

Date of visit: July 2017

Reviewed 1 April 2016

We happened on Smokey's completely by accident. We had picked up our vehicle from the VPC down the street and due to some maintenance issues we had to wait for my truck to cool before I could do some roadside repairs. Looking for a shady lot off the main street we found the restaurant and pulled in as it had an adjacent gravel lot across the street. We did not realize how hungry we were until the wafting orders of recently smoked meat filled our nostrils.

Within moments we were at the counter and had placed orders for pulled pork and barbecue brisket baskets with coleslaw and fries. One does not come to Smokey's for the decor or atmosphere. The day we visited there seemed to be no A/C and the tables and chairs were of the basic requirement to do the job, but ultimately we could have cared less. The meat was so delicious that we were glad no expense was spared on its preparation instead. There were as well several sauces available for the meats and they were all very good as well.

My wife who is a certified connoisseur when it comes to the subject of the quality of southern sweet iced tea assures me that it was the best that she has had since we moved into the DMV.

The value of the meal results in a good report as well. I was not able to finish my french fries and that is an unusual occurrence.

As a result of our visit we have recently attempted to come up with a reason to visit Elkridge so we could stop by. We may just have to make one up.

See you on the trail and remember, don't be one of "those."

Date of visit: September 2015
Reviewed 20 September 2015 via mobile

My coworker loves this place. I enjoyed the food. I just found it to be very expensive. I paid about $8 for the equivalent of a regular Arby's roast beef sandwich only at Arby's, you get a full meal and change back. Again, the sandwich was good, only kinda small.

Date of visit: September 2015
Reviewed 9 April 2015

Good pit-beef with typical meats and sides, and random specials. Picnic tables under tent double the seating capacity.

Date of visit: April 2015
Reviewed 5 September 2014

I had a pit beef with horseradish and onion. The beef was cooked to the correct doneness and the flavor was acceptable. It could use a bit more smoke, but the beef was well seasoned. The biggest problem was that the slices were too thick and tough to bite. The toughness was probably due to the cut of beef used, but this could have been handled by cutting the meat much thinner. If they were to invest in a deli slicer, the quality of the pit beef would jump considerably. I wanted to give the place a 4 or 5 for character and quality, but the sandwich was just too difficult to eat. I haven't decided if I would return and I'd have a hard time recommending this place to co-workers and friends.

Date of visit: September 2014