“Terrible.. got next to no sleep” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Americas Best Value Inn

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Cambridge
“Terrible.. got next to no sleep”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

They only had smoking rooms availible. The bathroom light kept flickering the two days i was there. There was a fight the second night at 3:30am. Called front desk.and.they acted like i was disturbing them. Called at like 7am that same morning requesting a little later checkout since i was woke in the.middle of.the.night. i was told by front desk staff that they stick to 11am check out. I said ok. Just up to soak in the tub for a few before checkout and the bathroom light burned out while i was still in the tub.leaving.me in the pitch dark.

• Stayed May 2012
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank sweetguyinmd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

We booked this hotel when staying for a long weekend in Cambridge, Maryland the weekend of April 14th. We have stayed in hotels in cambridge a dozen times and had never stayed here. We booked it because of great rate and the 24 hour pool. WELL... the pool was under major construction and was empty and from the postings of other people it has been under construction for months, so was a little annoyed that they failed to mention this before or even during check in, they still have the sign out front stating 24 hour pool. OK, then there is the problem with no alarm clock nor coffee maker in room, seemed kinda odd. There was no handle on bureau (not that we needed to open it but just the point) and the bedding was horribly dingy and the pillows i swear had hair on them from the previous guest.

The beds were horrible uncomfortible, and the whole run was painted brick and looked like a jail cell. You think i am kidding, i am not. My husband perfered to sleep in his clothes on top of the bed. So you think $65 dollars a night you should get what you pay for but i have stayed in $65 dollar hotels before and have NEVER had these problems.

The almost perfect ending was the rather large drunk man sitting on the steps at 5:30 am as we attempted to leave the hotel. We checked out early. I just wanted to cry. I would have actually just slept in my truck had it not been 45 degrees out. The front desk people were very nice but the hotel was in need of being RAZED!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank PennsylvaniaJean
Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

This is the worse hotel that I have ever stayed in. It stinks. It's a horrible smell of mildew. Bleach, carpet cleaner and pine sol are badly needed.The need for remodeling or updating is an understatement. The ceiling is falling down in the batthrooms> My sister and I hhad a room each. We compared our need for repairs in each room, If you can avoid this place, I strongly suggest you do so. If the other hotels in Cambtidge are booked, stay in Easton.I've learned my lesson. The place should be condemned.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank JackieBlue1
abvicambridgemd, Webmaster at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 8 August 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Americas Best Value Inn Cambridge, MD for your recent stay in our area.

1) Housekeeping received additional training regarding the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

2) Maintenance was notified of the falling ceiling in the bathroom of the room assigned to you and instructed to fix it.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Americas Best Value Inn Cambridge, MD. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.
Mellieha, Malta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

Useless to spend more than few words on this motel. I'll just say that the smell in the room, something in between insecticide and poor deodorant, was terrible.

Room Tip: Best rooms?
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank isiliblu
Dear Guest,

• Housekeeping was contacted about the terrible smell in the room and instructed to do something about it. They also received additional training regarding the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

Hotel Manager.
Franklin, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

THIS IS WHAT WE SENT TO AMERICA'S BEST CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS!

On the night of Friday July 23, 2010 my wife, 3 year old son, and myself checked into an America's Best Value Inn 2831 Ocean Gateway Cambridge, Maryland. We arrived in town around 11pm and when we entered our room we discovered holes in the ceiling. The room was filled with mold it was so bad that the wallpaper was peeling off the wall. Walls were also covered in mold and upon further inspection we found that there was unknown substances smeared on the walls of the room, along with huge spider/dust webs in the corners of the room. The toilet and shower had not been cleaned in what appeared to be years. The room was to be nonsmoking, but had cigarette burns on the bathroom sink and the carpet. I went to the front desk to make them aware of the situation and was told they could "not do anything until the manager arrived" and that he also "owned the liquor store next door" and was closing up. I waited in the lobby for about 10 minutes and then went and got him at the liquor store. He offered to give me a different room however, one had an air conditioner that did not work (mind you the temperature was 100 degrees at 11pm at night) and the other room had had only one bed and was a smoking room. Our only choice was to sleep in the moldy room. That same night my wife called down to the lobby to ask for extra towels and pillows and the man at the front desk told her "you will have come and get them." When I went down to the lobby to pick up the towels the guy stated they were out of pillows. The manager told me to come to the lobby the next afternoon he would leave specific instructions for his people to move us to a better room and give us a refund for the night. On Saturday July 24, 2010 I arrived in the lobby at 1:10pm in the afternoon and the gentleman behind the desk told me that there were no notes or instructions from the manager. I proceeded to ask him where the manager was and he told me "probably at home." I then told him he needed to call him and get this straightened out and he told me I "needed to go away and leave him alone so he could do his job." I tried to show some self-restraint, but could not contain myself any longer and asked him if his 'job was taking care of the customers of the hotel" he said it was and I told him he "wasn't very good at his job." I waited in the lobby about 13 minutes and the manager finally showed up. We were moved to a different room and it was better than the one the night before. To say this room was acceptable is a stretch, but it was better. On Sunday July 25, 2010 we left the hotel at 9am and were gone for the day. We returned at around 6pm to shower and get dressed to go out for dinner. At this time, we discovered that the room had not been cleaned at all. The dirty towels, sheets, and washcloths that we had placed on the floor, in a pile by the door had not even been touched nor had the sheets on the one bed been change (my wife stripped the sheets due to our son having an accident). My wife went to the front desk and asked why the room had not been cleaned. She was told that it was already done and she was shown a paper saying that the room had been cleaned. She offered to take the gentleman up to the room to show him, but he declined. To top it all off the pool in the hotel was out of order and had been for some time. There was a child proof cover on the pool and when there was a torrential downpour on Sunday water was just pouring through the ceiling onto the cover. We paid $224.10 for this room for three nights and the room was booked with Expedia.com so we got a discount. The pictures shown on their website were very misleading and it said nothing about their pool being unusable. I know that we have seen other units with your name on them in other places and this was probably the biggest dump that I have ever been in in my life. We had to buy pillows because the hotel did not have any extras, plus the pillows offered were very unsanitary. I have never been treated by anyone the way that the staff in this hotel treated me and my family. I would really appreciate someone from your company contacting me as soon as possible to discuss this matter further with me.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
10 Thank Brnady
abvicambridge, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 27 April 2011
Dear Valued Guest:
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your experience at our property. Critical feedback is a great way for us to improve guest satisfaction. We apologize for any negative experiences you had with our housekeeping and room maintenance. Due to the circumstances, we did not charge you for the first evening. Unfortunately, there was a miscommunication between shifts the next morning and we were not able to move you right away. We have trained the front desk to better communicate between shifts. In addition, we have trained the housekeepers on cleaning issues. We believe these corrective measures will enhance the overall experience at our hotel. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Ashok Zalavadia
Americas Best Value Inn-Cambridge, MD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
0.5 km away
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
#1 of 4 in St. Michaels
26.2 km away
BEST WESTERN PLUS Easton Inn & Suites

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!