“Quiet hotel not to far from D.C.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of TownePlace Suites Bowie Town Center

TownePlace Suites Bowie Town Center
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bowie
Chicago, Illinois
“Quiet hotel not to far from D.C.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

We decided to stay at this hotel since we wanted to have our own kitchen instead of eating out at every meal. The hotel was very nice and the staff was polite. For our first time staying in this type of hotel, I would definately recommend it. There is a nice mall directly across the street as well.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank mrldisle02

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bowie, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2010

I had to stay here for nine days, due to repairs being made in my residence from an insurance loss.

Upon arrival, the room appeared spotless, minus the wall stains of grease etc., until I looked under the bed where I found items from a previous guest, which I delivered to the front desk, at which time I requested a vacuum so I could vacuum under the beds myself. The mattresses have absolutely no support, it may even be unhealthy for your back.

Another thing I noticed is that once the A/C is turned off you begin to smell a strange odor in the room...and it doesn't go away until you turn the A/C back on.

The parking lot has extremely poor lighting, and it's unsafe considering the location of the hotel, with the back practically in the woods. Some spots are so dark, you can't see your hand in front of you.

They only have an outdoor pool, that doesn't look very clean. I asked the lifeguard about the pool, and she advised that nobody uses it anyhow.

This hotel does not have wireless internet, and the connection that they do have is very slow.

One night while staying there, I watched the security guard get out of his personal vehicle, walk over to a bush, unbuckle his belt/pants and proceed to urine in the bush. I couldn't believe it was happening because he saw me pull up in my car. That was disturbing.

There are children running around with no supervision, and it appeared like they just lived in the hotel, meaning they were not there due to an insurance loss...they were just there.

There is no real breakfast, just cold cereal, a few bottles of orange and apple juice, instant oatmeal packets, and some muffins in plastic.

The furniture is old and damaged, they have tube televisions with a few Comcast channels, and one HBO channel.

I reported insects in my two bedrooms and the maintenance guy came up to my room and sprayed (Hot Shot insect spray from Wal-Mart) in the kitchen over my recycle/disposable paper plates, and plastic bowls, my pots, and food. And it's funny because he didn't get the bedrooms, although that's where I reported the bugs.

I had reason to believe that they came in your room, even when you had the do not disturb/busy tag on the door. Looking down the hallways reminded me of The Shining.

I honestly believe the cleaning staff does a good job, considering what they have to work with, and the front desk staff appeared to be very pleasant.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Whowouldathunkit
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2010

Stayed here for approx. 18 weeks while working on a project in Forestville, MD.

Observations:

Lobby: Quite small with a couple chairs and an even smaller breakfast area. Not that it would matter because breakfast consists of instant oatmeal, (3) different types of cereal, rotten bananas and prepackaged Sara Lee muffins. Workout room is small but nice with a couple treadmills, a bike, and some handheld weights. The laundry room is excellent. Three washers, six dryers. Never had the need to do laundry outside the hotel. And what you've heard about the internet is all true. Slow, weak signal, just awful.

Room: For the most part clean with a couple exceptions like a dirty eating/work area from time to time but not consistently. The beds are the worst. Don't know how else to describe it. Mattresses sag, pillows are horrible, blankets are not adequate AT ALL for warmth, just a mess. Television is old 27" CRT and several channels (HBO for one) didn't work on MANY occasions. Full size refridgerator and microwave are very nice amenities, though there is only a 2-burner stove, no oven.

Are you a Gold or Platinum Marriott member? Forget the upgraded treatment. They do not give you your automatic upgrade and if you ask, you probably won't get it.

Lets get to the "relatively creepy" part. First, on many, many, MANY occasions there will be the two kids of one of the night clerks sleeping on two chairs in the breakfast area. Not only that, the significant other would be sleeping there as well. Further, be advised if you show up there late at night, there might be a beat up old Chevy in the parking lot with a guy just sitting in there. Whether this individual is "security" is still in question but regardless, there was a "creepiness" factor that started to make me concerned about the surroundings I was staying in. The mall around it is nice, and the shopping is good with many restaurants in walking distance but, again, be wary about moving around this community late at night.

Overall: Room-Clean but not comfortable, breakfast-forget it, surroundings-ummm....yeah......

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Joliet_Scooter
Martinsburg, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2009

We stayed here Fri 10/16 in a queen Studio room. WOW, it was nice.
I actually used my Marriott Reward points so the nights lodging was free.

The internet from a room worked well (a little slow, but we were just glad it was free). We did not bring an ethernet cable so we called down to front desk and we ran down and got one and then turned it in during checkout.

The room and bathroom were extremely clean. The room looked like it had never even been used. No marks on any of the walls, no mold anywhere in bathroom. Walls and doors appeared to have fresh paint. Two closets, small kitchen with anything you could possibly need for one night.

The walls were a little thin as a woman down the hall or the next room has a having a 'good time' with her parnter (if you know what I mean). We could hear every detail. We could also hear the folks walking on the floor above us (on their hardwood floors). So I'd says the walls could use some 'sound proofing'. But this honestly didn't impact our stay since I always travel with ear plus because you just never know about noise levels when you stay in hotels.

Location met our needs, parking lot felt safe and free breakfast was all we were looking for. (Coffee, tea, cereal, milk, OJ, oatmeal, bananna or muffins). We were going to eat breakfast 'out' the next morning when we arrived at our new locations so we were fine with the free breakfast this hotel provided us with.

All and all, I would stay here again if I needed lodging in the Bowie area.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Budapest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2009

Very good location, close to Washington DC/Baltimore/Annapolis and just 5 minutes to Six Flags. extreme friendly personnel. nested in a nice residential area just behind a small shopping mall, so shops and restaurants are within walking distance. Very nice outside pool, they even have a gas and a charcoal grill free to use for the guests.
Definitively a come back!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowie
1.2 km away
16.4 km away
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Annapolis
10.4 km away
Holiday Inn Express I-95 Beltway-Largo

Been to TownePlace Suites Bowie Town Center? Share your experiences!