“Very good food”
Review of Persimmon

Persimmon
Reserve with OpenTable
Persimmon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 388 Restaurants in Bethesda
Price range: USD 15 - USD 34
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Leland & Walsh Sts.
Transit: Bethesda Metro on Red Line
Description: Persimmon is a beloved bistro located off the beaten path from Bethesda's bustling downtown. Chef and Owner, Damian Salvatore, grew up in Bethesda and worked in local restaurants his entire life, all-the-while crafting his passion for creating genuinely good food. In 1998, Damian and his wife Stephanie opened their very first restaurant: Persimmon. It wasn't long before Persimmon's menu and charm grew to be well-loved by loyal guests, and became a Washington-area favorite. Persimmon is a hidden gem among the many restaurant choices in Bethesda offering incredible starters, seasonal salads and signature entrees. Let our family of professionals provide an unforgettable dining experience for your family and friends.
Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

We came here for a business meeting. The food, as always, was very good--fried oysters, beet salads for apps and short ribs, tuna, scallops for mains. Service was fine, but uneven. Main problem--a/c not working well, so it was slightly uncomfortable.

Reviewed 13 June 2018

This is a real neighborhood restaurant with good food, large portions and lovely, attentive service. However, from the tired awning to the surroundings eating in a hard wooden cubicle, it was not a relaxing nor fine dining experience.
Excellent salad and fish. They were very accommodating to splitting portions and very friendly. Very tasty tuna ceviche with ovocado and then fresh red snapper.

Thank Lynne P. T
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

The wait staff were gracious and efficient in accommodating a large group. Soup of the day was a cold beet puree with a tang and swirl of cream. The catch of the day was rock fish positioned delicately on spinach with gnocchi and small shrimp. The presentation of all dishes was perfect not overwhelming the plate. A variety of mains were enjoyed ranging from seasonal soft crab to lobster role and seared scallops. The vanilla bean Crème brûlée was generous and a perfect end along with a glass of port. Definitely worth going back. Menu overall was focused to one easy to read page, quite helpful.

Reviewed 24 April 2018

Persimmon is a small, unpretentious restaurant that always serves good food: a great combination. Portions are large at reasonable prices. Service is very attentive and friendly. It has become one of my favorite restaurants in downtown Bethesda, MD, which boasts more than 100 eating establishments.

Reviewed 11 April 2018

My visit to this restaurant began with a search for Bouillabaisse. Two restaurants near me offer this dish. One is Normandy Farms, where I've dined before, and which is very exclusive and expensive. This other was this. What confused me at first was that the dish in question was listed at half the price here as it was at Normandy. I took a chance on this one. The restaurant's web site told me about the chef/owner, and displayed the menu, both of which gave me the impression that it was a small, very exclusive, fine dining restaurant; but, the prices on the menu didn't: they were way too reasonable. I took a chance and booked a reservation on Open Table. So glad I did!

As it turns out, my reservation was unnecessary, as the dining area was empty, though the bar was full; though, my reservation was for six, and as my dinner progressed, more people did start to show up ... and with good reason. While this is a "store front" restaurant without pretentions, it's first rate. It's not at all exclusive as it's web site suggests; the atmosphere is very casual, open and airy. My server offered me to the three-course meal deal even though I was late for it, but I declined because I was here for boulisbaise.

Speaking of which, they were prefect!!! Maybe this place is not all that classy, and maybe it's not as sophisticated as boulisbaise fans would expect, but it was everything I was looking for and more!

For the record: I started with the Smoked Trout Spring Rolls, followed by my bouisbaise entre. As a bariatric surgury patent with a very small pouch in place of a stomach, I couldn't do much more, and most I brought home with me, but that was expected.

In any case, I highly recommend this place.