“Exceptional Local Restaurant”

The Central Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #14 of 115 Restaurants in York
Price range: USD 9 - USD 28
Cuisines: American
Description: Open year round, serving american fare with cultural influences. Featuring an open kitchen with a wood fired grill. Lively, fun bar and casual atmosphere.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I travel for work and end up eating by myself quite a bit. I enjoy eating at locally owned restaurants rather than chains so I depend on TripAdvisor to point me to great places. I'm in York Maine for a meeting and TripAdvisor led me to "The Central". It was as I said in the title "Exceptional". The Central is a locally owned and managed place. Nothing fancy but the food was great. When I got there it was obvious to me that the reviews were correct. No seats at the bar were available and the rest of the place was packed. A young lady came from behind the bar to ask for my drink order and then offered me a menu. It turns out that my server is the co-owner Kiersten. Kiersten suggested the Pastrami sandwich with hand cut fries. My meal was fantastic, That's all I can say. Service was great, people were friendly just a great place to enjoy a meal. Do yourself a favor, when you are anywhere near York, Maine enjoy a meal here.

1  Thank bowsprit49

Reviewed 19 March 2018

Just a small place, but excellent food & atmosphere. A place you’d want to come back to.
Had the appetizer chili....very different in a good way.
Must try the French fries.....best I’ve ever had!

Reviewed 6 February 2018 via mobile

My wife and I were in town for our honeymoon. We arrived to York at around 7pm and decided to go grab dinner at the central restaurant and bar due to all the awesome reviews on TripAdvisor. We weren't disappointed. I got a hamburger which was by far the best and most
fresh burger I've ever had. Cooked to perfection on their woodfire grill. My wife got the Taquitos which she absolutely loved and I'd agree they were outstanding. Spoke with the owner and let her know how pleased we were with their level
of service and the food. Great little place for a bite to eat and a drink or two.

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

Dined here on Saturday evening and was completely wowed! I had been looking forward to dining here for months, and truly it was one of the best dining experiences I have had. The service was impeccable as was the food. I would drive the 3 hours from home just to eat here again.

Reviewed 29 November 2017

This hip little gastropub located in a shopping center is where you want to be for a great vibe and fantastic small plates. Two of us went for dinner the day before Thanksgiving and had a great time. I'll go over what we had in no particular order.
Drunken Clams: tender, not over cooked in a broth that leaves you asking for more bread (or a straw)!
Truffalo Chicken Wings: My original thought was "Whaaa...yuk" but the combination works and works well. These well dressed but not messy wings will make you consider a second round of them.
Grilled Cheese Sticks: Kind of a Mozzarella Stick thing, but with more taste. Good but not the wow of other stuff.
Lobster Beignets: Yes..these are da bomb...soft little dough balls packed with lobster and seasoned perfectly. Get these if you go!
Brisket Tacos: Great flavor, well done pickled onions just a hint of heat. A solid choice.

Go early it gets crowded fast, and you'll want to have at least three rounds of small plates (and beverages) while hanging out, maybe chatting with the table next to you....it's that kinda place.

1  Thank JC1633