“A jewel of the Northern Beaches”

Jonah's Whale Beach
Price range: AU$140 - AU$260
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Perhaps the only feature that can divert your attention from the stunning view at Jonah’s is the food. The multi award-winning Restaurant offers excellent Contemporary Australian cuisine and an exceptional wine list offering more than 1600 wines from around the globe.
Reviewed 29 April 2021

Had two wonderful days at Jonah's. Could not fault the staff or the accommodation. it is clearly a very popular place to eat and or stay for a night or two.

2  Thank Vickym830

Reviewed 17 April 2021 via mobile

I was REALLY hoping I could give Jonah’s a better rating. And to be honest, I had to deliberate between 2/5 or 3/5. I’ll start with the good. The service was impeccable. Congratulations to the staff, you didn’t miss a beat. We also had a beautiful table by the window (I had requested this a week prior to my booking as it was for a very special anniversary and was told quite firmly that whilst they would try, they would definitely not guarantee - so this was a nice surprise). The wines (we took the recommendation of the lovely female sommelier, were perfect. The prices are what you’d expect for a fine dining experience. BUT, the food! Seriously guys, I’ve had better food at my local bistro. I know this is a “special occasion” restaurant, however this is not 1995. My entree of a Balmain Bug was abysmal. Whilst cooked ok, it was smothered in a bland white sauce with a few cherry tomatoes. Main course was a steak ordered “rare”. I love a rare steak, however this was definitely “blue”. Dessert was a grainy vanilla sorbet with clumsy large chunks of ginger. The place was packed - I guess it’s great for tourists and “special occasion”, but seriously guys, you need to do a LOT better.

2  Thank ladymuriel
GM_CGRG, General Manager at Jonah's Whale Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2021

We appreciate you taking the time to comment and recognise the staff and the high level of service they strive to achieve daily from not only our front of house team but also our reservations team. We are of course disappointed to read that you were displeased with your food. We do pride ourselves on the quality of food that we serve and consistently receive wonderful comments and awards for our restaurant offering. Regarding the steak, we use the classic ‘sous-vide technique’ which means that is has been cooked at low temperature and finished on the grill. This ensures that our steaks are definitely not served blue as you mentioned .
As for the dessert, the chunky pieces were in fact diced pieces of apple rather than ginger.
Jonah’s has been operating since over 90 years, always aiming to provide a great experience for both our large local community and special occasion guests.
We apologise that your time spent at Jonah’s did not live up to your expectations, but we hope that we may be able to welcome you back in the future so that we can leave you with a better memory.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 10 April 2021

We had guests from Melbourne who had never visited this Iconic restaurant. The moment we arrived we we’re greeted by a friendly and professional receptionist.
The weather was perfect, delectable cuisine and the service from Niels was outstanding. Niels certainly exceeded our expectations for his outstanding service.
We would highly recommend Jonahs, a must to visit.
Sandy

1  Thank sandyarcher
Reviewed 1 April 2021

Is Jonahs expensive? yes. Is it worth it? yes yes YES. That's the basics taken care of, now for the review. I was given a dinner, bed and breakfast voucher for my birthday in 2019 but, due to a serious family illness, then Covid, my partner and I weren't able to get to Jonahs till just a few days ago. The wait was worth it. From the minute we walked in we knew we would love our stay. The reception staff were lovely and walked us to our room to explain how the various controls worked. We had a 'smart' room which turned out to be smarter than we were as we had to get her back to turn off the tv for us. The room was extremely comfortable, bright and airy and the view from the balcony was magnificent. Dinner that evening was delicious - I heartily recommend the basil risotto entree. We aren't big on dessert so a lovely young man, Will, brought a cheese platter to our room. We sat on the balcony, nibbling on delicious cheeses and enjoying the balmy night. All the staff were really lovely and we found the presentation of both the staff and the premises really polished. There were really thoughtful touches - from the complimentary bottles of water to the takeaway coffee cups with the espresso machine. Obviously provided for guests who might want to make a coffee and take it with them down to the beach. We were so happy with our stay and will make every effort to go back. It's a great location with really professional staff and an ambience of luxury that doesn't overwhelm. Comfortable furniture, gorgeous bathroom accessories, your own spa bath and an excellent bed. I cannot say enough good and positive things about Jonahs. I asked and they do have disability access and a suitable room. There weren't a lot of vegetarian/vegan options on the menu but I believe they do cater to these special diets. I'm sure they would do everything they could to make you happy. I absolutely recommend a visit to Jonahs.

Date of visit: March 2021
Reviewed 20 February 2021

We had the Valentines Day set menu with matching wines...

The service, food and wine matching was excellent !

We could not fault a single thing from our visit and again the food was as good as or better than our last visit.

Date of visit: February 2021