Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge
Open today: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Review Highlights
Rachel Carson Hero

Definitely worth the visit, and can be combined with other sites of interest in Kennebunkport area... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
Audrey G
York Beach, Maine
Surprising Find

Very nice farm area with homes to tour and great walking trails, some of which end at the beautiful... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
U3272EYd
Truro, Canada

All reviews salt marsh nice walk mile trail nature walk easy walk nice trail beautiful vistas short walk wheel chair lady slippers trail guide self guided wooded area marsh views beautiful spot enjoy nature take pictures
Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed kayaking through the Refuge. We saw everything from geese and their baby goslings to White Heron and great blue heron, seagulls, crabs and fish. Beautiful views throughout.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed 7 June 2018

This reserve is a very easy flat hike, lots of birds the lady slippers had just bloomed and there were lots of them.

2  Thank Westerntraverlers4
Reviewed 5 June 2018

"The Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge was established to preserve ten important estuaries that are key points along migration routes of waterfowl and other migratory birds." - Wikipedia

This well marked, handicap accessible loop trail runs through the woods to the marsh and back to the parking lot. It took me about an hour to walk it. I conversed with several others walking the trail, took multiple pictures, stopped and enjoyed the flowers and birds, and back tracked a few times. There are several places to stop, sit and enjoy the views. I started the trail before 10am on a weekday in May and the parking lot was almost full. The parking spots turn over fairly rapidly at this time of day because locals come to run and walk dogs. I would say I saw about 10 others on the trail, mostly at the end but as I was leaving a school bus unloaded its cargo of students.

This is the site of the headquarters although I did not go near the building so I am not sure what is inside. There is a large map at the head of the trail which shows numbered sites along the trail. I am not sure what these are because there were no brochures left in the box. I did take a picture of the trail map which was unnecessary as the trail is very broad, well marked and it is obvious where to go.

I love wildflowers and they were plentiful along some areas of the trail. I did see and hear some birds and spent time watching and listening to geese in the marsh. It was surprisingly cool and windy and I didn't experience any mosquitos or other biting bugs which was unexpected because the trail is almost entirely under cover.

I don't think this costs as I didn't see any fee box. It would be a great place to take kids for a walk in almost any season to identify plants and birds and to learn about marshes and wildlife refuges or.... just for a walk in the woods.

I will return to this free walking trail.

Reviewed 18 May 2018 via mobile

Pulled in picked up a map & started walking, there are compost restrooms, picnic tables at parking area. We walked the 2 mile loop thru the marsh, saw chipmunks, birds, wood pecker, & fiddle gear ferns! Nice & relaxing,

Date of experience: May 2018
NE-NWRS, Outreach Assistant at Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge and we hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 15 May 2018 via mobile

It's not a trip to Maine without a visit to Rachel Carson. Nice relaxing walk thru the woods. Today we had the place pretty much to ourselves....well except for the wildlife. Always fun watching the birds and those rascally chipmunks. If you are looking for a place to help decompress....this is it.

Date of experience: May 2018
NE-NWRS, Outreach Assistant at Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2018

Thank you for your review, Dan. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit to Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge and we hope to see you back soon.