“Lovely and informative”

Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge
Ranked #2 of 28 things to do in Wells
More attraction details
Owner description: Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge was established to protect valuable salt marshes and estuaries for migratory birds. Visitors can enjoy wildlife viewing year-around on the refuge.
Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

Really enjoyed this brief, flat and easy to walk trail. It was only a mile and most anyone mobile could accomplish this walk. Lovely views of the marsh, river and sea. But the quiet and peace of the forest was great. We saw lady slippers! Beautiful big ferns, wildflowers and evergreens. A pleasant surprise stop passing thru ME.

NE-NWRS, Outreach Assistant at Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share some of your experiences on the refuge. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you back soon.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"peaceful place"
"maine coast"

Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed kayaking through the Refuge. We saw everything from geese and their baby goslings to White Heron and great blue heron, seagulls, crabs and fish. Beautiful views throughout.

Reviewed 7 June 2018

This reserve is a very easy flat hike, lots of birds the lady slippers had just bloomed and there were lots of them.

2  Thank Westerntraverlers4
Reviewed 5 June 2018

"The Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge was established to preserve ten important estuaries that are key points along migration routes of waterfowl and other migratory birds." - Wikipedia

This well marked, handicap accessible loop trail runs through the woods to the marsh and back to the parking lot. It took me about an hour to walk it. I conversed with several others walking the trail, took multiple pictures, stopped and enjoyed the flowers and birds, and back tracked a few times. There are several places to stop, sit and enjoy the views. I started the trail before 10am on a weekday in May and the parking lot was almost full. The parking spots turn over fairly rapidly at this time of day because locals come to run and walk dogs. I would say I saw about 10 others on the trail, mostly at the end but as I was leaving a school bus unloaded its cargo of students.

This is the site of the headquarters although I did not go near the building so I am not sure what is inside. There is a large map at the head of the trail which shows numbered sites along the trail. I am not sure what these are because there were no brochures left in the box. I did take a picture of the trail map which was unnecessary as the trail is very broad, well marked and it is obvious where to go.

I love wildflowers and they were plentiful along some areas of the trail. I did see and hear some birds and spent time watching and listening to geese in the marsh. It was surprisingly cool and windy and I didn't experience any mosquitos or other biting bugs which was unexpected because the trail is almost entirely under cover.

I don't think this costs as I didn't see any fee box. It would be a great place to take kids for a walk in almost any season to identify plants and birds and to learn about marshes and wildlife refuges or.... just for a walk in the woods.

I will return to this free walking trail.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 May 2018 via mobile

Pulled in picked up a map & started walking, there are compost restrooms, picnic tables at parking area. We walked the 2 mile loop thru the marsh, saw chipmunks, birds, wood pecker, & fiddle gear ferns! Nice & relaxing,

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge and we hope to see you back soon.