Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge
Open today: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Review Highlights
Peaceful walk

Mara D
Expansive refuge with wonderful, picturesque wetlands

Peter R
Boston, Massachusetts

All reviews salt marsh nice walk mile trail nature walk easy walk nice trail short walk beautiful vistas wheel chair lady slippers trail guide self guided wooded area marsh views beautiful spot take pictures great nature
Reviewed 1 week ago

Found this gem a couple of years ago ..... My husband and I love walking around the grounds. I love taking photos and there are plenty of opportunities to do that.

Reviewed 1 week ago

An unexpected find was this Wildlife Refuge, quite large given the size of the town. Peaceful and picturesque. Nice for walking or kayaking. Would be a great place to take your camera.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I enjoy coming to the Rachel Carson Nation Wildlife Refuge every time I go to Maine. The walk is on a flat surface; the scenery is beautiful, among the trees, with views of the marsh. There are outlooks where one can see the ocean in the distance.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

One of my favorite parks.
Great views and exceptionally maintained trails.
Clean park. One trail that is paved.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We have been coming here for several years. Love to take our bassets for a walk along the trails. There is just so much beauty to see everywhere. Just a nice clean place to enjoy the world.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great trail for a walk. Trails are in good shape, very flat & relatively dry. Lots of places to stop & read about the area you are looking at.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Maybe after seeing so many great scenes, i.e., fall foliage, rocky shorelines, mountain vistas, etc., our expectations were a bit higher, but the one-mile walk around the Refuge was kinda boring. Nice and tranquil but not much else. However, if I was a runner, it would be a great place to run.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I had been here before. On this trip we brought our son, his wife, and our 16 month old granddaughter. The refuge is a 1 mile flat loop walk around a tidal marsh. It is truly beautiful and informative. Before you take the trail pick up a trail guide to understand what you are seeing.

Tidal marshes are where the salt water from the ocean meet and mix with the fresh water of rivers and streams. The guide tells all about how the tidal marshes work and how important they are. Our granddaughter lasted about 1/2 a mile, but was touching all the plants, examining the pine cones and mushrooms, and trying to step in the puddles. It rained the day before and there were sizable puddles on the trail. Fortunately the trail has metal retaining strips on it and wood chips outside the path. We were easily able to walk on the wood chips and avoid wet feet.

Besides the scientific importance of the tidal marshes is the natural beauty. The tree leaves were changing colors and the weather perfect. So for an enjoyable, informative, and beautiful walk we highly recommend this refuge.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

There wasn't much wildlife, but the views of the salt marsh and Atlantic were beautiful. The trail is a ~1 mile loop and has 11 "interpretive stops" to take pictures. If you're looking for good landscape shots, the beginning (stops 2-3 in particular) and near the end of the trail offer the best views. The trail is relatively flat, but has some bumpy terrain. Parking is ample but was quite full when we stopped by in the late afternoon.

Reviewed 9 October 2018

This refuge is clean and well organized. There are places to stop and take pictures along the way. We went in the mid morning before it was crowded. Wonderful nature vistas.