“Colby College Family Weekend”
Review of The Proper Pig

The Proper Pig
Ranked #15 of 93 Restaurants in Waterville
Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

We visited on a Thursday night at the start of Colby College Family Weekend. We had appetizers of nachos and cheese curds with bacon jam. Both appetizers and the jam were very good. The pulled pork double hamburger with onion rings was excellent. My son had the burger on a split donut which he said was very “solid”. The ribs and corn bread was another selected entree with the consensus being the ribs were good. The selection of draft beers and mixed drinks was very good. An enjoyable dinner.

Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

One would think that any restaurant calling itself "The Proper Pig" would feature more offerings that are pork-based than other proteins. One would be wrong to make this a priori assumption. This is because there are a very few pork-based appetizers and sandwiches, with the Piggly Wiggly coming closest to what one may expect based on its name. The greatest number of sandwiches are burgers comprised of a variously increasing number of thin patties stacked atop each other. The beef is from a local supplier, which accounts for its flavor. But, several items appear to be straight from the freezer, lowered into the fryolator, and served. Both the fried pickles and onion rings are of this origin, and it is unclear if the fried potatoes also are out of the freezer. This evening's meal was acceptable but the potential customer should be aware that the main entree choices are either salads or sandwiches. There is no pulled pork or rib plate as one might anticipate based on the restaurant's name.

1  Thank LopingianTravels
Reviewed 26 September 2017

We were told to sit in a dirty booth, ten minutes later a lady comes over a cleans it, we finally get drinks 15 minutes later.bour food comes out before our appetizer....waitress forgot our appetizer. The food was delicious and came out hot. The cramped atmosphere, dirty tables and dirty floor were too much. Great food, not so great service.

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

We first tried the Pig last summer about 2 weeks after they opened, and were not overly impressed; I gave it 3 stars. We decided to give it another shot, as friends of ours really enjoyed it. We figured that after a year of being in business, and anyways being packed that they'd have the kinks worked out and would be running smoothly.

Ok. So, first the positives. We got there at 5:15pm, and got right in. The Mud Pen martini was absolutely devine, and I would give that 5 stars no problem. We ordered the happy hour tacos with grilled chicken. They were very good, if not a bit cold. I don't think they were supposed to be cold, though. I had a new bacon cheeseburger with a tomato basil relish on a glazed donut from Hillman's bakery in Fairfield. This was outstanding. My fries had bacon dust on them, which to be honest for the $2 extra charge wasn't worth it. They weren't that great. My husband had the Boss Hog burger with a Caesar salad instead of fries. He really enjoyed it. Our friend had the Triple Double, and likewise loved it. So, if I was only rating the food, 5 stars. It was also nice to see they added another dining room, and an outdoor patio.

The negatives: our server was awful. He was rude, condescending and kept rolling his eyes at us. He was incredibly slow. When he finally brought my husband his beer, he slammed it down on the table. I would understand the slowness if we were there at peak dinner time, but we weren't. There was also a person attempting to panhandle the people sitting next to the patio fence. Finally, a staff member came out and made the individual leave.

I'd love to give this pub a better rating, because honestly their food has greatly improved since their opening last summer. However, due to the crap service we received I cannot. Please do yourself a favor, and get some better wait staff because it honestly ruined an otherwise great dinner.

2  Thank porkslapgirl
Reviewed 31 August 2017

We visit the Proper Pig on a regular basis; at least once a month. Love sitting out on the back 'terrace' when the weather is suitable. I've cut complex carbs out of my diet and they are very amenable and accommodating to burgers and sandwich choices with no bun/bread, side salad instead of fries and no croutons! I can usually find something on their tap/beer list that I enjoy; my husband has a more difficult time but is not a drinker of 'mainstream' beers. Waitstaff are excellent and if you have to eat inside I'd ask for a high table near the open kitchen; the cooks are very entertaining as well!