“Nice New Year's Eve”

Kobe Garden
Ranked #11 of 31 Restaurants in Topsham
Price range: USD 2 - USD 28
Reviewed 5 January 2017

We enjoyed our New Year's Eve meal at t Kobe Garden. The shrimp tempura dinner was very good. The six large shrimp were a very generous serving. One quibble we had was that what appeared to be zucchini wasn't a great choice for the deep fryer...a bit watery. Substituting a firmer vegetable would be more enjoyable. Other members of our party tried sushi and other entrees and really enjoyed them. Service is first-rate and waitstaff is a pleasure. They make great mojitos, too.

Reviewed 18 November 2016

A group of 12 of us stopped by for lunch. The soups and salads all arrived at the same time, but the entrees arrived by ones and twos with the last meal arriving just as the first people were finishing. I has the lunch Sushi Plate and it was the most artistic presentation I have had in ages. Other lunches around the table were equally impressive. A few were mundane looking. Everyone thought the taste rated a Very Good.

Reviewed 7 November 2016

As with most restaurants in Maine, you can identify the building by what used to be there. In this case, Kobe Garden is in that building that used to be a Pat's Pizza and some other Oriental type restaurant and probably several other businesses.

Walking in the front door, you'd swear it was still Pat's. The booths and furnishings harken back to the 1980s, especially the uncomfortably compressed booth cushions which left our buns numb by the time we left.

The glossy menu is extensive and easy to read, but suffers from a lack of focus. I'm always leery of a restaurant that tries to be all things to all people and as such does nothing particularly well. That's the case here.

Kobe Garden calls itself a Japanese/ sushi joint, but the printed menu is all over the Asian spectrum. Soup of the day when we were there was Tom Yung Goong, and there were lots of other Thai items as well as Chinese and Korean.

To be honest, the Miso soup was unusual in that the seaweed wasn't the traditional nori but some other kind that, while tasty, distracted from the expected texture and chewiness. The sashimi presentation was huge, but the actual slices of fish, while fresh and very tasty, were also very thin and smaller than what I consider normal and the rice portion was unusually small, almost like a side garnish rather than an element of the dish.

We'll try it again with an open mind, but this isn't a place I'll save for a special occasion.

Reviewed 24 August 2016 via mobile

In search of something new, a few friends and I stopped into the Kobe Garden. The menu is extensive, there is something for just about any type of eater. I tried the chicken hibachi, and was very impressed. The chicken was *perfectly* cooked and the portion size was huge. I definitely will be coming back to try the sushi, it looked amazing! A tad bit on the pricey side, but definitely felt worth it. 8.7/10

Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

The food is fresh and flavorful, the staff is friendly and accommodating. We shared the shumai and gyoza. My husband had the dumpling soup and the sushi/sashimi for one. I had the avocado salad and the Manhattan roll (see the photo above). Will definitely return.