“Something for everyone, clean, fresh/hot, loads of choices”

Super Great Wall Buffet
Ranked #100 of 151 Restaurants in South Portland
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 20 June 2016

Unlimited buffets can be better or worse. This is one of the better ones. The friendly staff work deftly, keeping fresh hot (or cold) selections ready, spills wiped up, and used plates whisked away promptly. The coin fountain and sculpture in front fascinate small children, which can be a good thing or a bad thing, but I feel it is good, and gives them a point of interest to stop and look at when they just can't remain seated any longer.

The steam tables offer familiar American Chinese Buffet classics; Standard American comfort foods; a variety of shellfish and fish, as well as calamari; fresh fruit and vegetable/salad bar with really good, really spicy kimchee that I think must be made on-site; a tempura section with many breaded tidbits; a soup-and-dumpling section with dim sum and other treats; a hot grill and sushi bar, where you choose what goes on the grill, and gets returned to your plate, hot, and/or sushi selections.

The sushi is so-so. But no one serious about their sushi, would go to an unlimited buffet for it, anyway.

We had some favorites, and some disappointments, this trip. Tastes vary, which is why it's a good policy to try only one taste of each thing you are interested in, at an unfamiliar buffet, and see which ones you want more of, rather than taking whole portions of anything, at first.

The staff seemed surprised and pleased to see small kids so eager to eat bok choi, peas, grean beans, broccoli, boiled eggs, squid, and fish. I hope they weren't too horrified to see how resistant my sons were to using utensils instead of fingers, though!

The whole green baby bok choi, steamed or braised with a light sauce, was my favorite item, along with the Thai-style noodles, and the hot apple pie paired well with the vanilla soft-serve.

Generally, I find the little frosted cakes in these buffets to be slightly disappointing, but I didn't try them this time. My daughter loved them.

There were three items I found disappointing, and one of them was terrible: the brussels sprouts that looked so good, were rock hard, and the eggplant, flavorless and mushy. As for terrible, the roast duck that I tried two very tempting pieces of, one piece smelled and tasted funky or off, and the second piece was undercooked, so both went to waste. Sadly, more exotic items are hard to offer at budget-friendly unlimited buffets with the kind of quality one would expect at a fine dining Chinese restaurant. I could not recommend the duck, but I hope it is better usually.

I still rate this restaurant as Very Good, not because it is fancy fine dining, but because of its genre (all-you-can-eat 'asian' buffets which specialize in having maximum number of choices), it is a Very Good representative of its type, primarily because most of the food was flavorful and fresh, and the place was clean, the staff nice, and the prices reasonable.

1  Thank Meg R

Reviewed 19 May 2016

For a buffet this is a great selection lots of options good food. Lots to eat, something for everyone.

Reviewed 18 March 2016

Very rude and unfriendly cook at the Grill. My wife got sick after eating the seafood. I MUST REPEAT, the grill cook was very rude, he made the visit terrible! He threw food around and was just a jerk!

Reviewed 16 March 2016

Just went there for supper Sunday night after mass. Plenty of room even though it was busy. The food was hot, well maintained and plenty of it. If you go away hungry then you didn't eat. We eat there at least once a week.

Reviewed 1 February 2016

Lots of seafood, sushi, and a wide variety of other dishes. THis is not typical buffet steam table food -- it's several steps above. The decor is not particularly warm or enticing, but the food is good and we can have just what we want.