All reviews hot tub the main lodge the owner moosehead lake rustic cabin roaring fire prime rib beautiful spot front porch only negative full kitchen lodge rooms maine lodge great hospitality cross country skiing rented a pontoon boat great food
Reviewed 5 September 2017

I stayed overnight at The Birches in the maine lodge for a night on a flying trip around Maine. From the first time I called the lodge the experience was great. John got on the phone and kindly explained the logistics for pilots flying in and offered that I can use the loaner car that is kept in Jackman where there's a paved air strip. The lodge itself is beautifully rustic and precisely like I always imagined these lodges to be as a foreigner. I felt right at home and enjoyed the great views outside with a beer and burger on arrival.

Had the freshest lobster possible in the restaurant and met the most fantastic people over dinner and later at the pub.

I will definitely be back for longer stays and bring more friends and family next time.

For pilots specifically this is a great great spot that I highly recommend and John is incredibly helpful and welcoming to fellow aviators.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2017

My husband and I have come for 2 years in a row now to the Birches Resort and have stayed in the Grandview Cabin. We will be booking for next year as soon as we know our schedule. We absolutely love it!

The cabin is rustic yet has every thing we needed for our 2 weeks there!

And if I was too tired to cook a meal from our hiking, boating, or swimming, (there is a full kitchen with all the utensils, pots, pans, fridge, oven, microwave, etc. ...) we went to the wonderful restaurant just up the road that is part of the Birches Resort. Breakfasts, lunch's, dinner's; all were so delicious and perfectly prepared! And the view of the lake and the mountains from the restaurant were like something out of a postcard - only better because we were actually in that beautiful place!

Our cabin was large - 4 bedrooms and 3 bath's, and a huge dining room. But it was only my husband and myself and our 2 large dogs, so we had LOTS of room. We took the dogs swimming right out our back door in the beautiful lake. And the yard was huge with lots of grassy areas for walking the dogs.

The property was very private.
The master bedroom king-sized bed was very comfortable.
The fireplace was wonderful on the cold evenings. All firewood and kindling was supplied for us.
I will always remember the view of the lake with the outline of the mountains (Mt. Kineo) in the background...the lake was glistening in the moonlight in the middle of the night...

I can barely wait until next year!
What a great place to get away from it all and truly relax!
And the owner and staff were all extremely kind and helpful.

Room Tip: The Grandview Cabin is the very best cabin!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2017

Stayed in the Honeymoon Cabin for 3 nights. Rustic would have been fine, unit was unsafe and filthy. Have contacted the management directly to express my concerns. Could not afford to leave as none of my money would be refunded.

Stayed: August 2017
3  Thank mel21358
John W, Owner at The Birches Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2017

There were a couple of issues here which were reported by this guest that were tended to immediately after management was informed of them. There is nothing unsafe in or around the cabin.

Our reservation policy is strict as we run at very close to 100% occupancy during the short summer season. With our large staff on location to attend to our guests needs, we need to be sure that guests do indeed show up as we turn many people away from prime lodging such as this cabin, which is just a few feet from the lake.

Our cleaning staff would have gone to the cabin immediately, if they had been informed of an issue with cleanliness.

The guests that occupied the unit very recently loved the cabin. Every guest that has occupied this cabin that I have communicated with this summer have loved the cabin. As with any rustic cabin constructed in the 1930's there will be an issue from time to time.

We do our best to make our guests comfortable and safe at all times.

Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

Truly a wonderful spot. Beautiful lakefront rustic cabins and lodge rooms. Amazing restaurant and cozy bar.
Marina where you can bring your boat or rent one of many different types. Kayaks, bikes, scenic plane rides, boat tours, hiking and Jeep excursions. Always something to do.

Snowmobiling in the winter is fantastic and the resort caters to riders fabulously. Always a roaring fire in the lodge, plenty of fuel and great lodging.

No matter who you are or when you come, the staff and owners always make you feel like you're part of the family.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

We spent the week of the Fourth of July at the Birches. We stayed upstairs in a lodge room and woke up every morning to the smell of bacon! Yummy! We slept great and ate every meal there. I especially loved the salmon with the wine sauce. So good! My husband loved the ribs! We really enjoyed the fireworks over the lake. We took the moose cruise and the jeep trip and both were excellent. Both guides were extremely informative. We were sad to leave.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple