“Claddagh - still wonderful hosts and great rooms!”

Claddagh Motel & Suites
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Rockport
Maryland
“Claddagh - still wonderful hosts and great rooms!”
Reviewed 25 January 2012

We stayed again at the Claddagh for the third (or maybe fourth) time and felt we needed to say (again) how much we love it. It is charming, very homey, and has the most wonderful hosts we have EVER encountered in our 40+ years of traveling. It is substantially less expensive than other places in the immediate area and well worth it. As the owners stated in their response to one review, their website shows exactly what you will get, which is Irish charm at a great value. If it important for you to have a room that looks exactly like every chain motel in the US, that's what you should book (at a much higher price). And, regarding the breakfast, the earlier reviewer's comment that the only items available were "Boxed donuts, unripe bananas, poor coffee" is (trying to be tactful here....) not true, unless the owners lapsed into an unexplained coma. Breakfast always features their fabulous homemade authentic scones, as well as many other continental breakfast items. We foolishly stayed at another nearby property, complete with bland decor and anti-social uninformed desk staff, for one night a few years ago, and RAN back to the Claddagh the next year.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank barbara1973

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed 13 December 2011

My family and I stayed here over Columbus Day weekend. We were quite pleased to discover that our "suite" was actually a 2-bedroom, 1 bath, 1 kitchen apartment, which had ample space for our two children and ourselves. The kitchen was well-stocked, and had we been willing to cook on our mini-vacation, we could have done so easily. The beds were comfortable and faced away from the highway, which was a good thing, as Route 1 can be noisy. The entire apartment was perfectly clean, with zero signs of bedbugs. The decor is not to my taste, because I don't care for lace and frills, but if you like stenciling and painted beams and throw pillows, you will be thrilled. We only interacted with the host during breakfast, and he was quite friendly and willing to give advice about the area. Breakfast was adequate, but with delicious scones - not too heavy, not too buttery or sweet - perfect, really.

There is a small beach that is a part of the property. You have to walk through another rental house's yard (the rental house also belongs to the hotel), and the beach is typical small Maine beach. Your kids can get their feet wet, but we were there at low tide, and so it was too mucky to do much wading.

If you are interested in a place to have as a homebase for exploring Central Maine, I highly recommend this hotel. We thought we would go into Camden, but ended up spending all our time in the Rockland area. We went to the lighthouses, took the ferry to Vinalhaven, toured the Farnsworth, and explored the ridiculously quaint and cute village of Rockland. The pizza place is good, and so is the Mexican one.

Room Tip: Two-bedroom suites were an outstanding value.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank WittmannAbroad
Roslyn, New York
Reviewed 12 November 2011

The Gilmores and the Claddagh itself was such a wonderful experience.
This was a return visit and although I have never written a review before,
I found this necessary for me to do because I wanted others to share these experiences
Apart from the clean, tidy, pleasant accommodations, the Gilmores were always there to be asked questions about the area(and they knew it) as well as always being accommodating to my special needs
It made this vacation a sheer delight

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank RachelHecht
Yonkers, New York
Reviewed 3 November 2011

On a recent trip through Maine I had the pleasure of staying at the Claddagh for a couple nights. The room I was given was very clean and exhibited a pure Irish country cottage charm. The grounds were spacious and well maintained. The Claddagh is run by a warm, witty, and friendly couple (Alex and Siobhan) who took a genuine interest in my comfort. I can, without hesitation, give the Claddagh two thumbs up and recommend it to all! I will certainly "check in" with the folks at the Claddagh anytime I find myself in Maine.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Kevin C
NJ
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I really have to look at these ratings a bit more carefully. Can a lot of people who have only written one review be trusted? No, maybe not.

The pros- Conveniently located right on Rt.1 and still I found it very quiet at night. The room was very clean, the bathroom spotless. Lovely thick towels and comfortable bed. Wi-fi..the owner was very pleasant and helpful.

Cons- The decor is dated and a few tile issues in the bathroom. As another reviewer said, the window curtain in the bathroom appears be be cut from a shower curtain and stretched across the window. Noisy A/C unit right over my head in bed.The decor is dated, but still nice...the rug though really has to be replaced with one from the 21th century.
The breakfast was...well, bad. Boxed donuts, unripe bananas, poor coffee and little place to sit.
I went to McD'd down the road, which has good coffee these days.

Is it worth the money? Well, it is pretty reasonable for the area but there are a lot of choices along the road there, several motels that looked nice. If I was in the area again I would try one of the others.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank caitemaire
lacks, Owner at Claddagh Motel & Suites, responded to this review, 15 October 2011
Regarding this review there are a few issues that I need to address. While this guest acknowledged some of our good points he also had some negative comments too. All our rooms are shown on our web site so what you see is what you get. The room decor is visible aswell as the location of the air conditioners all out there on our web site for the world to see.There is no deception here. If one doesn't like the cozy country charming look our motel is not the place for you. Our rooms are decorated in the old world country style with painted beams,lace tablecloths etc! so definitely not for those who favor the more modern look/ decor. I have travelled far and wide due to my children attending school and college out of state. This means I've stayed in numerous hotels/motels from the chains to the smaller pricvately owned ones. I have never yet come across an air conditioner that's silent. They all have motors in them that come on and shut off when certain temperatures are met. Our continental breakfast is offered daily during the season and comprises of at least 10 different food items. Never,never did we have just banannas and donuts. It can happen periodically that the banannas are green but whatever the supermarket has is what I get.. I have no choice but to take what they have in stock The breakfast coffee is the same brand and made the same way for the last fifteen years. No one has ever complained about it until now. However, we have coffee makers and coffee packets in all our rooms . The coffee packet can make up to twelve cups of coffee so this guest could have made his own if he wasn't happy with our breakfast coffee.We werer utterly shocked to read that he/she thought our carpets were very dated as we changed all carpets and under pads in the Fall of 2010. They are not even a year old yet. Finally ,regarding our bathrooms ,they are all the original but are very well maintained,highly functional and spotlessly clean. For a small seasonal motel like ours to change their bathrooms would incur a huge price increase on our guests. This is not necessary as they are very adequate just the way they are.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
1.2 km away
0.9 km away
Ledges By the Bay
Ledges By the Bay
#2 of 10 in Rockport

Been to Claddagh Motel & Suites? Share your experiences!