“Never again”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Beverly, MA
“Never again”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

My husband and I were traveling with my parents and booked this hotel last minute through Priceline. Well, although Priceline usually comes through for me this was a disaster! We booked 2 rooms side by side and I had emailed the hotel in advance to let them know our bedding preferences. At no point was I told that renovations would be underway when we got there. Although they were desperately needed.

The lobby area was just depressing and our initial rooms weren’t much better. Carpets had seen better days. Everything had an older dirty feeling to it. I thoroughly checked the beds to ensure the sheets were clean which they appeared to be. Fortunately we were just passing through so we only needed to stay one night and because we were with my parents we didn’t want to make too much of a fuss but if it had been just my husband and I we would have gone elsewhere.

When my husband attempted to use the shower before we headed out for dinner it came off in his hand. Not a good sign. The hotels response was to “upgrade” us – ok, this should be interesting we think. The “upgrade” consisted of the same size and set up room, one floor higher and with the inclusion of a small fridge that didn’t work! Great, but at least the shower did. We left as early as we could the next morning and felt like everything needed to be fumigated when we got home. Not a great hotel experience at all and unfortunately it left such a bad taste in our mouths that we won’t even consider staying at another Clarion. I know that may seem unreasonable (and unfair to the entire chain) but that’s how bad that experience was for us.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank deeob
Greg M, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
We have taken all of your comments into consideration, and we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

At the Clarion we strive to meet every guest’s needs and we guarantee their satisfaction. I’m very sorry to hear that we fell short of your expectations and that we were unable to make your stay enjoyable. We were indeed in the process of upgrading all of our rooms with new furniture, flat screen televisions, and bathroom decor. While we are very happy with the outcome, we deeply apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused you. Thank you also for bringing the maintenance issue with the shower to our attention. While we work hard to identify these problems before our guests do, we sometimes fail to catch them and are disappointed that this had a negative impact on your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Meredith, New Hampshire
Reviewed 20 January 2012

This isn't the typical type of location I visit, but I got a great deal on Priceline for the Clarion for a last minute getaway. It is more on the outskirts of Portland, so you will need to have your car available to get around. Very busy traffic area. We visited while they had a wedding party in house, and aside from seeing the slew of wedding guests in the lobby and the limos and entourage outside, we didn't notice much noise once in the room. Either the hotel did a good job of keeping it's regular guests away from the wedding party, or the rooms have decent noise insultation... either way it was good. Bed not the best, but again this is a value chain hotel, not a high end hotel where I would expect a luxe bed. Definitely keep this in mind if you need a good deal and check out their prices through online discount sites like Priceline.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lilahNH
Thank you for taking the time to post a response regarding your stay at our hotel. I’m glad that were able to accommodate you with your last minute needs. I was also happy to hear that the hustle and bustle of the wedding group did not disturb you during your stay. We do our best to make sure every guest is happy and comfortable. Feedback like this is great because it lets us know that what we are doing is working, and more importantly, it is leaving our guests satisfied with their stay!

Thank you for choosing the Clarion, and we hope to see you again!
Richmond, Maine
Reviewed 20 January 2012

A friend and I stayed overnight for a work function. Our room was large and very clean. There isn't much of a view out the window - you basically look out onto the parking lot and the highway, but that's ok - unless I am at the beach or in the mountains, I keep the curtains drawn anyway....so that didn't deter from my overall feelings about the hotel.

The location is great - close to the Old Port where there are great restaurants, stores, museums, and the hotel is visible from the highway, so it's easy for out-of-towners to find. I spend a lot of time in Portland, so I already knew how to get there.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, and while we were there the night before New Year's Eve, we headed to Pete and Larry's Lounge downstairs. It was my friend, me, and two people watching a Celtics game. Not a "hot spot," but the bartender was friendly and the nachos we ordered were delicious! And they had plenty of TVs on which to watch the game.

It's affordable. It's clean. It's nothing fancy but if you are looking for a clean, warm place to stay while spending time in Portland...I would recommend the Clarion. If you are looking for a view of Portland Harbor, then this isn't the hotel for you - but if you would rather save your money to eat at amazing restaurants in the Old Port, then stay here...it's an easy cab ride downtown and back, and you can use your money to buy your dinner, admission to the Portland Museum of Art (well worth the visit) and still have some money to purchase your lobster-themed souvenirs to take home.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: All the rooms basically have the same view. We were told that the poolside rooms are mostly filled w...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
We appreciate your taking the time to post a review, and your compliments about our hotel are well received. It’s always great to hear that our staff was able to lend a helpful hand to make a guest’s stay more pleasant.

I also have to agree with you that the nachos in Pete & Larry’s are delicious! If you return in the near future, I would urge you to stop in to catch another game at the restaurant.

Thank you for the kind words, and hopefully we’ll see you when you return to Portland.
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We got a great deal on Priceline and used this for our last night in Maine because it is halfway between downtown and he Airport. Staff was friendly. R. Bar opened at 5PMoom was clean with a refrigerator and excellent big screen TV.Comfortable bed. Only complaint was plastic cups for water. Nothing really bad nor really great

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review of our hotel, and we appreciate your comments. Our location is perfect for anyone using the airport, as it is half way between the airport and the Old Port area. I am glad to hear that this worked well for you.

As for the beds, I’m happy they were to your satisfaction. We do our best to make sure that our guests are comfortable. And just to inform you for a future stay, we now have glass cups in the rooms!

Thank you again, and we hope to see you in the future!
New York
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Great sized room, spotless and Great water pressure. I will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for you compliments! We are glad that we were able to make your stay pleasant and that you were satisfied with all these aspects of our hotel.

Thank you for choosing the Clarion, and we hope we can accommodate you again on your next trip to Portland!