All reviews newspaper building fire station city hall cool hotel rain shower boutique hotel old port lobby bar amazing hotel rooms are small turn down service within walking distance corner room perfect location valet parking workout room heart of downtown
Reviewed 19 August 2018

At the press hotel, I typed on my first typewriter, and I was addicted right away. I love typewriter mosaic, and luggage mosaics on the wall. I like that they post famous quotes in your hotel room. The bar, and the bar staff are exceptional, just like the food and drinks. The Union restaurant serves some great Maine fresh caught lobster, and some delicious crab pasta. The fitness center is super awesome. I just can't understand why the bathroom doors are partially see-through. This hotel is possibly my favorite hotel ever. In fact I now wish that I could come back here in Portland every year. I love the newspaper writing on the wall.

Room Tip: The higher, the better.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Ginny P, Manager at The Press Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2018

Dear Jack E,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on our TripAdvisor page! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel's theme and history as the former Portland Press Herald newspaper. The leadership and design team did a fantastic job renovating the old Gannett building and partnering with the Maine College of Art as well as other local artists to really bring the whole vision together tastefully. Those typewriters in the lobby are dangerous! Guests will pluck away at the keys for hours and are always excited to mail their creations home to friends and loved ones. We're very pleased that you were able to join us in UNION restaurant as well while you were here! The Maine crab pasta is delectable and Chef Berry's lobster dish is one of my favorites in all of Portland. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed it as much as I. Thank you again for choosing The Press Hotel, Autograph Collection for your recent getaway and we hope to have the opportunity to host your travels yet again should you find yourself returning to the city in the future!

Ginny P

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."

- Isak Dinesen

Reviewed 17 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed at The Press the day we got married and it was the best experience at any hotel we’ve ever had! To begin, Clayton was the front desk clerk who checked us in and was so friendly and helpful! We were very grateful for a complimentary room upgrade. The room itself was spectacular! A beautiful bathroom complete with a rainfall shower, double vanity, and a huge deep tub fit for two! The bed was so comfortable we could’ve slept in indefinitely. We had dinner downstairs in the hotel at Union restaurant, Monica (monique?) was our server. We never had to ask for anything as she anticipated every need we could’ve had. The braised lobster was to die for with the sweet cream butter and corn fritters. My wife’s scallops were cooked perfectly with a delicious cous cous to accompany the meal. After we finished our dinner we were surprised when Monica came over with an orange and vanilla creamsicle dessert on the house because we just got married! After dinner we sat by the fire in the lobby and enjoyed a game of scrabble on a large play board (pretty neat) If we weren’t feeling the love enough when we returned to our room someone had been in there and done a “turndown” while we were out; complete with chocolates and a bedtime book! (Where do people come up with these amazing ideas?) The next day we had time to kill before we left and played scrabble again. Stephanie at the front desk hand delivered us some hot coffee while we waited. When Jacob, our valet brought pulled up our car as we were leaving we were perplexed as to why it was wet (we bought maybe it rained?) Jacob told us a bird had pooped on it so he gave it a wash.... he washed our car!!! WOW... the customer service at this hotel is completely astonishing! We can honestly say the staff at The Press gave us a wedding day to truly remember, and we can’t wait to visit again. Thank you all so much!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Melissa M,

Thank you for choosing The Press Hotel, Autograph Collection for your visit to Portland! Congratulations on your recent nuptials!! I am delighted to hear that Clayton was able to help you celebrate by accommodating you with a complimentary upgrade to one of our Executive suites with a sofa and deep soaking tub. Monica in UNION has been with us for years and does a tremendous job serving. I am thrilled that she took excellent care of you both and that you all enjoyed your lobster and scallops, as well as your surprise dessert at the end of your meal! The over-sized scrabble board is a great way to unwind after a busy day of eating and drinking your way through the Old Port. I'm so pleased you enjoyed the added touches left in your room by turn-down and appreciated Stephanie and Jake's assistance in the morning leading up to your departure! Thank you so much for leaving us such a flattering review on our TripAdvisor page and we hope to have the pleasure of serving you again should you find yourselves returning to Midcoast Maine in the future!

Ginny P

"It's not every day you get to do what you love and have a major story behind it."

- OMI

Reviewed 14 August 2018

I don't think I have ever paid over $500 a night for a hotel room in the US and I'm not cheap. I have in Europe but that's a different story.

First of all, I will say the staff is friendly, helpful and courteous. The hotel is modern, clean and in a great location for Old Port downtown in Portland.

My issue is that for $500 plus a night, the room was of shoe box size. Room for a bed and desk and that's it. When I often go on multi day trips with a group of motorcycle buddies, we always stay in a Hampton Inn. The rooms are twice the size of what I had here, even if it's a singles room. They are always clean and you get a pretty decent complimentary "free" breakfast all for between $120 to $170 a night depending on the city.

No complimentary anything here. You want a banana in the morning..$1.75. A muffin...$4. Oh, you do get coffee. But come on. For $500 plus a night not even cold cereal?

And then they didn't even make the room over for my next nights stay. Came back to the room at 5 pm and nothing had been touched or cleaned. Had to call them up and tell them to get up here.

I realize the tourist season in Portland ( a great walking city with great restaurants and bars by the way) is basically July to September and they have to make their money then. But I felt the cost to benefit ratio was way out of line.

I believe the other hotels in the downtown area near Old Port may have had similar prices but not sure what came with the price or the size of the rooms. But in the future, I think I'll skip the tourist season and go after labor day.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank David M
Ginny P, Owner at The Press Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Dear David M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback in regards to your recent stay. We truly appreciate you choosing to stay with us during this busy season! It's discouraging to see that the added value wasn't felt during your time with us. We pride ourselves on the extra touches like complimentary water, bicycles, coffee, trail mix, chocolates for turndown and any need you might have in your guest room. I have sent your feedback in regards to your housekeeping experience to this particular department to discuss with our team members there. I do hope you consider staying with us at a future time, and should you do, feel free to reach out to me directly!

Ginny
fom@thepresshotel.com

"Your positive action combined w/ positive thinking results in success."
-Shiv Khera

Reviewed 13 August 2018

Let's start with Calvin, who greeted us at our car. Polite, genuine, and attentive to our needs. First impressions matter and he is more than capable of conveying warmth in a large-ish hotel. Then the desk staff and manager, who handled our own bungling of our reservation in an empathetic, professional manner and made everything work for us even though we were the ones who messed up. The hallway to our room, a splendidly humorous nod to the Fourth Estate with random typewriter letters (of the alphabet sort) tumbling off the wall and onto the carpet. Our two queen-size bed room was well beyond our expectations. Large, modern, super clean, and the shower. Oh the shower. Very nice. The quotes printed throughout the room, including on the wall of the closet, were an especially nice touch (though maybe placed on a few too many items), and my favorite (other than the hallway) were the two chocolates on the nightstand with a book of local stories for easy, nighttime reading. No complaints.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Ginny P, Manager at The Press Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2018

Dear hadanicetime2,

Thank you for choosing The Press Hotel, Autograph Collection for your recent visit to Portland! I am delighted to hear that you were well cared for during your time at the hotel, from your welcome and valet experience with Kelvin to the manager on duty sorting out your reservation snafu and getting you settled into your guestroom! The ownership and design team behind the renovations did a remarkable job incorporating the building's history in a tasteful and classic, yet contemporary style... I'm so glad you enjoyed it! We hope to have the pleasure of hosting your travels again should you find yourself returning to Midcoast Maine in the future. Have a great rest of the summer!

Ginny P

"To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity."

- Douglas Adams

Reviewed 13 August 2018

The building is a gem in downtown. The staff was excellent throughout my stay and the room was amazingly clean and fresh. It would have been nice if their was a communal rooftop deck to relax it, but it was still a wonderful stay.

I usually shy away from the captive restaurants that are located in hotels, but both Inkwell and the Union Restaurant were excellent!

Stayed: August 2018

Dear STPBud,

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a lovely review on our TripAdvisor page! I am thrilled to hear that our staff provided you with exceptional care and service and that your guestroom was immaculate and comfortable during your time in town. UNION restaurant, as you mention, doesn't fall under that old hotel restaurant stigma. The cuisine is fantastic and Chef Berry will be delighted to hear your feedback! We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again should your travels bring you back to Portland in the future. Have a great rest of the summer!

Ginny P

"Always render more and better service than is expected of you, no matter what your task may be."

- Og Mandino