“A Fun Meal”

Ranked #146 of 619 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Fuji offers Old Port diners a welcoming, authentic Japanese dining experience. Our menu includes more than 30 types of sushi and 40 types of maki rolls, as well as a variety of other Japanese favorites. Diners can choose to sit at intimate booths, in our traditional tatami room, or at our exciting hibachi tables.
Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

As far as Hibachi restaurants go, Fuji is pretty good. A friend and I ate here at her suggestion, I have no qualms about the choice.

There was street parking outside the restaurant which was handy, it wasn't free but considering it is downtown this came as no surprise. The location also provided numerous bars to go afterwards which was great.

We had cocktails on arrival, which weren't cheap but were very nice and a bit different.

We were sat with another group despite extra tables being available, though his may have been due to chef availability, it would appear that only two were on.

The starters were a standard salad and soup, both of which were fine.

For main course we went with the Hibachi grill, there plenty of meats and combinations available; we chose steak and chicken which was reasonably priced and very tasty.

The 'performance' of the Hibachi cooking was fun, though seemed a little phoned in compared to ones I had seen in the past.

Overall, Fuji was a fun, satisfying meal that I would deem good value.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

I love going to Fuji at lunch time. The prices are much more reasonable than dinner time and the food is consistently good. I love the combination of Japanese and Korean options, the complimentary tea, and fast service. I often get the Bibim Bop. It's served in a hot stone bowl and is healthy and filling. I eat gluten free and most of their foods are naturally Gluten free if you avoid the regular soy or teriyaki sauces.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

We were at Fuji with our 13 year-old grandson and sat at one of the hibachi tables. The food was excellent and the chef very entertaining. We had previously been there for sushi and enjoyed that as well.

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

The service is good, she is nice, polite and helpful. The atmosphere is on the low end for the taste and quality of the food.
The food is amazing!! Fresh, flavorful and delicious!!!!
I would definitely recommend Fuji if you have never been.
There is no free wifi which sucks as I don't have a US plan. It is the 21st century!
I would come back as the sushi and sashimi was delicious!! Try the lobster roll'

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

My husband and I were looking for some local sushi and happened to walk by Fuji. We decided to check it out and it exceeded our expectations. Our waiter, Luis, was quick to bring us our waters and explained the various foods/Sake that they offered. The service was top notch and he was very attentive throughout the whole evening if we needed more of anything. We have been to many sushi restaurants, but this was by far the best sushi we have ever had! I loved that I could have my own roll made with all of the meat and veggies that I wanted. My husband had the Godzilla...it was amazing!! The fish was extremely tender and fresh. We loved the comfortable atmosphere and will be back!