“OBSESSED with RAMEN!”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 November 2016

I've been known to drive over an hour to visit Pai Men when I feel the need for ramen.

The restaurant is a relatively strange space with it's Jenga style walls of wooden blocks and swooping metal structures in the ceiling. In the summer it can be kind of hot (there's a lot of boiling water for the ramen!) and in the winter the doors open to blast in the freezing cold air (yay for the thick curtains that try to shut out the wind).

The ramen is worth the drive. The broth is full of flavor, the noodles are cooked to perfection, the crispy pork belly is so good you should probably get an extra order, the unctuous yolk of the egg is the cherry on top.

I like the Paitan ramen the best. You MUST MUST MUST get an order of the Brussels sprouts (very generous, will easily feed 2-4 people as an appetizer). Skip the gyoza, nothing to write home about. Get an order of pork buns too.

And then head over to sister restaurant Miyake for the best sushi you've ever eaten.

Reviewed 12 November 2016

Soup at Miyake is a must have while visiting Portland. It is hands down the best Japanese cuisine in the city.

Reviewed 16 October 2016 via mobile

Go there and you won't be disappointed. I had the ramen (excellent) and my wife the pork buns and salad.
It's a good Japanese

Reviewed 11 October 2016 via mobile

We stopped here on our drive back to Boston from Bar Harbor, and were pleasantly surprised that they were open continuously for food when we went at 3:30pm on a Monday. They accommodated our 13 month old in her stroller, but also offered a high chair.

My Miso Ramen was delicious, my husband agrees that it had the best broth, and the pork rivaled our favorite ramen from Brooklyn. Our daughter loved the al dente noodles!

Great draft selections, including a local cider that I had from Whaleback.

We will definitely be back!

2  Thank ericapietricola
Reviewed 20 September 2016

Tried this restaurant while visiting with friends in Portland. I had salad and the cucumber and avocado sushi. Both were very good. I think the restaurant is more known for its ramen soups that others all around me were eating and looked wonderful. Service was great. Waitress was very nice and helpful. This is a restaurant where both couples and families with children can feel comfortable.