“Amazing Sashimi & Sushi”
Review of Miyake

Miyake
Ranked #40 of 632 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: USD 0 - USD 50
Cuisines: Japanese, Fusion
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 16 September 2016 via mobile

I had a wonderful lunch yesterday on a business visit to Portland. The restaurant is very nicely renovated and attractive and modern. We started with the tuna tartar, yaki buti (pork belly). Both were unusual and delicious. We also shared the spicy crab roll and salmon ledgy (sp?). The Omakase Sashimi selection was excellent, fresh & tasty. Service was prompt, professional and friendly. A must visit for Japanese food fans. Prices were very reasonable. I will eat here again.

Reviewed 15 September 2016

This is probably one of the best restaurants that we have eaten in. However, you must like Japanese food, including sushi and sashimi. It reminded me of some of the best food that I have eaten in Tokyo. We sat at the sushi bar which enabled us to watch the preparation of all the dishes, cooked and not cooked. The restaurant is small with some tables and a small sushi style bar. The hostess was pleasant and also served food. The menu offered two tasting menus with choices per course or ala carte. We had the 5 course tasting menu which had normal sized portions. The plates included classic Japanese ingredients but prepared in contemporary style. However there are classic Japanese dishes like Tuna sashimi over rice. All course were delicious especially the seared duck. They had an extensive menu of reasonably priced sake. The service was relaxed but attentive and knowledgeable. Look forward to returning. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

Best sushi like food in new england for sure.
I have been to at least 30 different sushi places in new england and new york and this is tops.
Beats Nobu hands down.
Impeccable service and just great combinations.
Thank you.

Reviewed 24 August 2016

Miyake has great reviews and of course its hard to tell from one experience, but at these prices, I hoped to be blown away. My wife and I had one drink each and the tasting menu. $175 couple with tip. Some of the dishes were good and some just did not make the grade. Small portions of course and while the dishes looked like they were prepared with care, it did not garner the price point. We did not order the sushi. But the table next to us did and I will say that it looked great. We had the tasting menu and you get to choose various dishes, but many have annoying up-charges. 7 dollars more for the lobster roll seemed crazy, because you know they don't pay more then 3-5 dollars for a whole pound. And there were 5 tiny pieces Don't get me wrong, it was good, but in my opinion too expensive for what you get. Its in a high rent area so just expect to pay for it.

1  Thank Steven S
Reviewed 13 August 2016

We walked from our hotel in the rain to find this lovely spot. It is a comfortable and attractive space. We were warmly welcomed and the service was great and helpful. We had great vibes from the start. We each ordered four courses - one from the first list, 2 from the second list and one from the third list. As we were ordering we were thrilled to see gorgeous plates being brought to adjacent tables. From the first list we ordered the tuna three ways and the hamayaki - lobster, crab and scalp over such rice with truffle oil. Both dishes were beautifully presented and full of wonderful tastes. The hamayaki was exceptional. From the second list we both had the tempura fried summer flounder wrapped in nori with shies tartar. Again, an excellent dish and presentation. I very much enjoyed the miso marinated and grilled black cod. My wife had the Tai snapper head marinated and braised in sake, soy, dash and ginger. It was wonderful and the sauce was exceptional. For the last course, I had the unagi roll with avocado. It was fantastic. My wife had the ceviche roll with diced Japanese snapper. It was very refreshing and rich with flavors. Miyake builds on traditional preparations and creatively builds on them. The presentations are also creative and beautiful. It was a fantastic evening and one of the best meals ever. We will definitely return to Miyake any time we are in Portland.

1  Thank waterandmore

Been to Miyake? Share your experiences!