“One of our favorite places to dine”
Review of Anneke Jans

Anneke Jans
Reserve with OpenTable
Anneke Jans is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 79 Restaurants in Kittery
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Walker St
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We have eaten at Anneke Jans several times in the last few years and always enjoy it.
The food is interesting and generally well crafted, and the staff are unusually welcoming and pleasant. We had an evening we thoroughly enjoyed and will certainly return, even though it is an hour's drive for us to get there.

There were peaks and valleys in our meal last night, more of the former than the latter.
We started with craft cocktails, which are certainly original and distinctive. The four of us each had a different one and we all tasted all four. Common to all of them was far less sweetness than one typically encounters, which was a welcome change.

High points of the meal: two of us had the mussels, and loved them. Their broth was unusually rich and flavorful, and they were accompanied by an ample serving of pommes frites. I had the duck breast, served au jus, it was the most perfectly cooked portion of duck I have ever had. The sides were not especially complicated, but married well -- farro, carrots (roasted?) and a puddle of pureed parsnip.

But some things did not work as well. Two portions of a gnocchi starter were chewy and underdone though the dish otherwise was well-conceived. A starter salad of beets seemed pretty undistinguished. Desserts were generous in size and not bad, but the dessert options could have been more tempting.

Our server was wonderful, the most thoughtful we have encountered in quite some time. She inquired about how we wanted things every step of the way and made us feel that the restaurant really cared about our enjoyment of the meal and the evening.

Dining early (we arrived at 5:30 because each couple had a long drive to get there and wanted the evening not to end too late) was a good idea. Food arrived just when we wanted it, and everything was piping hot. Service got slower when the restaurant had filled an hour later, so it took longer to get the desserts than the earlier dishes. The restaurant is also very noisy when full, especially when you are seated adjacent to a table for ten who talked in loud voices.

And heartfelt thanks to the restaurant for adding valet parking. Parking in Kittery in the evening is a chore, at least on weekends, and it was raining.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 24 October 2018

This is a small, lovely, intimate restaurant that serves amazing food & has excellent service! Try the coffee rubbed salmon appetizer. The Statler chicken with risotto was perfect and definitely save room for the chocolate flourless cake dessert. Only downside is parking in Kittery center is horrendous but the restaurant does provide valet parking on Friday & Saturday. This place is an absolute gem! Good wine list

Reviewed 22 October 2018

I don't know why designers are creating these very loud, noise-bouncing eating spaces where every time a fork touches a plate it sounds amplified a thousand times. It is very hard to have conversation. Anneke Jans is one of these places. But screw your courage to the sticking place, because everything else about this restaurant is perfection, from the free valet parking on Friday and Saturday nights to the best shoestring potatoes I've ever had. Our party of five had reservations, and we were seated right away at our table. Our waitress was a magician, switching out glassware and silverware in the blink of an eye. I had the Statler chicken which was moist and tasty. My friends had the mussels, the steak, and the pork loin, and everything was delicious. Well-seasoned without being over-powering. Nothing was over $30 and these dishes were packed with freshness and lots of food. It was a great experience (except for the level of noise) and I highly recommend it.

Reviewed 20 October 2018

I was here for my 2018 visit in first week of October. It was as wonderful as it was the first time. I had mussels with their wonderful cream sauce. Fantastic duck for a main course and their famous bread pudding for the sweet treat at the end.I wish I lived in the area so I could be a regular diner there. Atmosphere is very nice and clam with warm wood decor. You can see the kitchen working from some seats which is nice as they have nothing to hide.Try it if you can.

Reviewed 19 October 2018

My wife and I had reservations for a Saturday night, and were seated promptly. We ordered fried olives (good, but a little salty), PEI oysters (very nice and briny) for appetizers. We often split salads and entrees (not because of the cost, but two entrees is just too much food). We ordered the beet salad and the roast Statler chicken. Both of which we very tasty. They divided both without being asked, and served them on separate plates, which is always a nice touch. For dessert we split a bread pudding,which we strongly recommend. The wait staff did a very professional job. This was our third time at this very nice restaurant.