New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of White Barn Inn

White Barn Inn
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Kennebunk
Boston
“Luxury in Maine. Who would have thought?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

The perfect place to celebrate a special anniversary. It reminds me of many of the hotels we stayed in in Europe. Small rooms but with a lot of character. You feel pampered from the minute you enter the White Barn Inn's doors. They have a lovely tea in the afternoon and a very nice breakfast in the morning. Dinner in the restaurant is a special treat. Expensive but worth the splurge. I haven't been to a restaurant this good in the United States. Plan on spending the evening. The service is slow but, it is supposed to be. Off season is the time to go. It is peaceful and lends itself to some quality one-on-one time.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Twinkletoes12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Newport, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the White Barn Inn for 2 nights. The staff were all very professional, friendly and accommodating - attentive to every need but not overbearing at all. I was in a junior suite in the main building and it was remarkable with no detail overlooked. The bathroom was very large with a jacuzzi tub and separate large shower. The bedroom was very spacious with a nice sitting area, large flat screen television, and the bedding was incredibly comfortable. It had a wonderful double sided gas fireplace for both the bedroom and bath. Quality furnishings and lots of nice extra touches throughout. The restaurant was exquisite - truly as fine of a dining experience as I have had - ever. It wasn't just "great" - it was in a league of it's own. The only unfortunate part of this trip is that I was traveling alone on business....but I will undoubtedly be returning with my girlfriend to enjoy a visit together. A trip to the White Barn Inn is an experience not to be missed - the property is truly exceptional.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank TDC888
Stratham, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

Had a mixed experience here. My wife and I were about the only guests. For the most part the service was excellent, but a few noteworthy exceptions. We had an 8:45 dinner reservation which we had made the previous week. At approximately 6, someone called the room to tell us that if we wanted to come earlier that was fine with them. We said no thank you but when we arrived on time for our reservation we were the only people in the entire restaurant so it became clear that they wanted us earlier so they could go home since there were no other guests that night. We felt awkward--like we were keeping them from leaving rather than welcomed guests spending a sum larger than the GDP of some developing nations for dinner. We were also the only guests at breakfast an the English lady who waited on us was a bit awkward. Forgot my juice and salt that I asked for and acted like I had never asked rather than simply apologizing. Also informed us that they would not be setting out the buffet that was included as no other gusts were staying. I don't necessarily blame them, but the way it was presented was just....awkward. The food is very good, but not amazing. The room we had (a junior suite) was ok but a little like my grandmother's house. The gas fireplaces would be nice but they throw way too much heat for the size of the room. It was unseasonably warm out during our visit, but if it were below zero I don't believe you could use the fireplace without melting. Bottom line is it is ok but they could do a better job with a little effort.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank david y
maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

We recently stayed at the white barn inn along with 3 other couples. We personally stayed in the tern cottage - at the pricey cost of $650 per night. It had a 1970's marigold yellow bathroom with a walmart shower curtain, no mirror to see and moldy tile. It is not waterfront - it is mudfront. There is no great patio as shown on the internet. I am from Maine and have wanted to stay there for a long time. I would not refer anyone there - it is grossly overpriced. The drinks were $25-$40 each. Dinner was good but not exceptional. The barn itself is beautiful - but that is about it. Rooms in the main area are small. The clientel is mostly from the NY / NJ area and maybe they are used to small rooms in NYC. There are alot better places to stay - especially in Portland.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank sines9
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

I will start by saying the food at the restaurant is really outstanding. It is a very expensive restaurant and they require jackets for men but I will say it is worth the money. The room I reserved was not in the main building but a few blocks away and across the street. I loved the view from my cottage and the tranquility and privacy as well. It had a beautiful view of the bay. I had a car so it was not a problem to go to the main building and if you order room service they will bring it to your room in no time. The problem I have with this hotel is that the person who decorated my room had no idea what a hotel room supposed to look like. First, there were no drawers in the entire suite (and I had the largest of the cottages). The suite had a kitchen, which was useless (there was no water or kitchen sink), so I had to use the kitchen cabinets to put some of my clothes. There is a closet but you can only put clothes on hangers. The bathroom is almost a ridiculous excuse for a hotel bath. I think it belongs in a 1960's motel by the side of the road. I could not believe they put the mirror behind the bathroom door. How do you suppose to shave? Above the sink there were two windows, so they could not hung the mirror there. Somebody needs to redesign the entire suit. Eliminate the kitchen because nobody who goes there and pays that kind of money wants to cook anyway. Use the space to create a beautiful bathroom with a shower and a nice tub (there is no tub now) and make a nice size closet and please add some drawers some place.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank javier200
, General Manager at White Barn Inn, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Dear Javier200,

I want to personally thank you for your suggestions for our Friendship Cottage. The comments and suggestions of our guests are very important to us.

Since your stay, we have completed major renovations at our Friendship Cottage and have implemented quite a few of your ideas.

As you know, our Friendship Cottage is located right on Kennebunk River and now features a beautiful outdoor seating area overlooking the water. We created two beautiful seating areas inside the Cottage; one overlooking the water, and the other one facing the original wood burning fireplace.

The Bathroom Suite now features a oversized soaking tub as well as a marble walk in rain shower room which is designed for two.

I sincerely hope that you can visit us again and experience our redesigned Friendship Cottage. If you decide to return it would be a great pleasure if I personally may take care of your reservations.

Kind regards,

Corinne Finn Heyl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
0.5 km away
0.9 km away
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
#14 of 25 in Kennebunkport

Been to White Barn Inn? Share your experiences!