“Family dinner ”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 August 2016 via mobile

We had a great dinner from clams to lobster to shrimp and crab cakes it was awesome from the time we walked we were greeted with a smile and it lasted the entire time. Cost was affordable. Food was great. Can't wait to visit again. Being in the hospitality industry we appreciate good food and great service.

1  Thank DOTRAT72869

Reviewed 18 August 2016

I've always loved the atmosphere of this small town seafood restaurant right next to the Penobscot River. Unfortunately, tonight was the last night my family members and I will be eating there after the experience we had. Two out of the four of us ordered the chicken primavera. When it came out, the chicken was raw (and not just a little...), so our server brought it back to the kitchen where they confirmed it inedible and she placed a new order for them. She told us those two meals would be comped, which we greatly appreciated, as the new meals didn't come out until long after myself and my mother-in-law had finished ours. We were nothing but patient and understanding of the mixup. The new meals came out, and everything was fine this time as the "head chef" cooked the chicken this time. When the bill came, the server informed us that her boss says "you pay for what you eat", so since my fiancé and his father ordered a new meal after theirs was deemed inedible, they had to pay for it. Wait, WHAT?! What kind of restaurant serves you raw chicken, and then still makes you pay for that meal?! In my opinion, as a business owner myself, you should have comped the two raw chicken meals regardless of whether or not the meal was replaced. OR, if you simply can't afford to bite the $40 replacement cost, offer a smaller amount in a gift certificate or SOMETHING to try to keep your customers' business. The worst part was that our waitress, who was absolutely wonderful the entire time, offered to pay for at least one of the un-comped meals out of her tips because she felt so bad. Of course we did not let her do this because this situation had nothing to do with her and her hard earned money.

Although I shouldn't be surprised after hearing many, many times how terrible the owner of this place is, I still can't believe this situation. We will most definitely not be back, and we will most definitely be sharing this story with our friends and other family members. It takes a lot for me to write a bad review, but this was a no brainer.

1  Thank dulbie17
Reviewed 16 August 2016

My wife a I had another wonderful dinner at McLaughlins. The food was amazing. I had the long neck steamers again this year, delicious! The surf and turf was great and me wife enjoyed the 'lazy lobster' dinner. The second floor outdoor deck area is open (it was under construction last year). The setting and views are great. It is a very relaxing place to eat.

1  Thank Tim J
Reviewed 14 August 2016

Note: This is not McLaughlin Seafood and take-out on 728 Main Street in Hampden, but for the full service restaurant on 100 Marina Road in Hampden.

If you want a very good lobster dinner or other seafood around the Bangor area, drive a bit south to Hampden to McLaughlin’s. Although it might be a little out of the way to get there, the restaurant is located at the marina, offering a great view of the water and a multitude of boats. There is ample dining space inside and outside. Décor is simple, open and airy. The food we had was delicious. My wife had the 2 ½ -pound lobster dinner. It was well steamed, served with drawn butter, fries and cole slaw. She thoroughly enjoyed cracking her way through that meal. The fish burger I had was consisted a thick piece of haddock, nicely cooked with flaky white meat. My brother had the fish tacos, also made with haddock, which he really liked. Another plus for me was the slate of craft beers they rotate on tap. They offer beers from Maine and other states as well. I selected the Stone Ruination Double IPA which nicely matched my fish burger. I definitely recommend the restaurant and, although this was our first visit, it will not be our last.

1  Thank Sam M
Reviewed 14 August 2016

Lobster fettucinne was amazing. My husband ate the lobster and loved it. Great service and food. It was raining when we were here and good but I am sure the patio would have been amazing in better weather.