“Love a good Diner”

Ranked #1 of 29 Restaurants in Gardiner
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed 21 November 2017

I grew up in NJ, and NJ is full of Diners. I had heard of the A1 but i love about an hour away so I have not had the opportunity to eat there. Now that i have i have to say, I really like the place. The inside is all original stainless and blue, black and white tile with wood. a counter on one side and small booths on the other side. I got a Haddock sandwich with fries. but it was hard to choose, many of the specials sounded unique and my mother got a grilled cheese with caramelized onions and bacon and avocado, which was one of my other choices, they both were good. We also got an order of onion rings, which were also good. great atmosphere and food. attentive waitstaff too, our drinks were filled without ever having to ask.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

The A-1 Diner is a favorite of the local community. The diner looks like an old trolley car and the ;interior is in keeping with the theme. The place is quite small and the staff is quite friendly. You will get the old standards one may think of as home cooking, but the surprises of some unique dishes included on the menu are unexpected fare. Small and friendly, but do not go in if you are in a rush as the cook never is! I was a local for eight years, so I was not on a trip, but I would go there to meet friends for breakfast or dinner with my husband. I moved in October so did visit one last time in September!

1  Thank Marsha C
Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

Had a quick bite to eat here. Both of us had the Bleu cheese burger. Good flavor to burger, Bleu cheese very good served on pretzel bun, which we both liked. Chocolate chunk toffee cookie was excellent.

2  Thank HAYDEVIN
Reviewed 12 October 2017

Two couples in for a mid AM Saturday breakfast - pleased to pop in and get an immediate booth. Coffee was tasty and hot and refills kept coming. Amazing menu, diner fare with a kick-up. Several of us had the breakfast sandwich - came with fried egg (not overdone and chewy) very tasty bacon and sliced avocado - mine was on a nice rye toast - all with a house mayo based slathering. The other diner had an amazingly tasty waffle with walnuts?
Service was friendly, quick and apologetic when one meal was delayed in error. Easy to take when the food is so good, reasonably priced and coupled with great service.
We will be back.

2  Thank John L
Reviewed 18 September 2017

Great place for dinner. Everything is made from scratch and mostly sourced locally, what more would you want! I had the fish tacos and my husband had the special meatloaf with blue cheese. Our meal was delicious and very nice size portions. And upon leaving, we picked up a peanut butter cookie and chocolate chip. Service was very good. Next time in the area for our travels, we will be stopping back, as it is not your typical diner.

1  Thank 66gardengirl

Been to A1 Diner? Share your experiences!