I could not find any last minute rooms in the top 5 trip advisor rated B&B's and hotels in Boothbay Harbor. So, I decided to try my luck as a walk-in. I was walking around the town and as I was nearing the end of the town I noticed a bunch of hotels with good ocean views. I just popped into the first one - Tugboat Inn to check the availability. They had some & they showed me a room - which is not a Hilton or a Marriott room - but it had an irresistible view for the same price.
The Hotel is right in Boothbay Harbor town but it is also away from the crowd & noise. It is situated at the Southern tip of the town facing the ocean. Boothbay is a small town and the town center is about 2-3minute walk from the hotel. So all the restaurants, boat rides, wharf etc. are all just walkable from the hotel. The town itself quiets down after 9/10PM and so it is very quiet around the hotel.
The Property is split into 5 buildings but right next to each other with many different room options. Some of the top recommended B&B's in TA are right next to this on a small hill.
Just to give an idea, a strip mall with Hannaford supermarket(grocery), a small movie theater and other shops are at the beginning of the town on the other end of the hotel. They are probably a mile away and it will be like a 20mts walk from the hotel.
Rooms & Amenities
The Room and bathroom was very basic but very clean. Do not expect an impeccable branded chain hotel room but it is definitely livable. I got the 1st level queen end room (#107) in the Tugboat Pier Building jutting over the water with big bay windows on almost 2 sides of the room. It had the uninterrupted view of the ocean filled with yachts & boats. I can just sit in the bed and watch all the boats go by.
Room itself had a queen bed with a small old model TV. It had a tiny bathroom with a shower & toilet. The sink itself was outside on the other side of the room. There were some bathroom amenities (Shower gel, moisturizer etc.), coffee maker and a small hair dryer. Yes, if you are nit-picky you will notice little stains in carpet, old furniture etc.
Parking is free in the hotel and it is very convenient as you do not have to drive around looking for parking in the town. Free Wi-Fi is offered but they do not guarantee that it will have a good signal everywhere on the property. But I can say it did work in my room which is kind of away from the central office.
I do like to add that the hotel is right in the harbor/marina area. So all the boats, yachts are anchored right next to the hotel and the rooms. In my case, there was a big yacht anchored next to my left side window. People were hanging out & drinking in the yacht, so I had to close my curtains on that side for privacy. Similarly, all the people staying in the boats anchored a little away from shore use their tiny motor boats to come ashore and they land right in front of this room. The room is on a stilt, so they cannot stand on the pier and watch us through the window. I would say that I did not hear any abnormal noises nor was I disturbed by any of these boats/yachts. Check out some of my pictures to get a better idea of the room. Also check out the end room photo in Tugboat Pier building (Building #2) in the hotel website.
There is an onsite restaurant and a lounge in the hotel. The main restaurant is built around an original Tugboat and so it is very noticeable. The morning free breakfast was provided here. The Restaurant was kind of nice with great views of the ocean. The Breakfast itself was very ordinary with just a few breads, croissant, Danish with coffee & juices. The lounge was on the first level with not so great ocean views, but it had live music in the evenings.
All the restaurants in town are very close by, walkable from the hotel, so you do not have to be tied to the on-site food options.
Overall, it was decent hotel in a small town with clean rooms and easy access to town center and all the restaurants. Personally, I would stay in this part of town around this hotel as this has great views and easy access to shops.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Downtown waterfront location directly on the harbor. Modern comfortable guestrooms with balconies, air conditioning, cable tv with free movie channel, telephone with voice mail, hair dryer, Keurig coffee maker, refrigerator and personal amenities. Rates include continental breakfast, free parking and free local phone calls. Complimentary computer with DSL in hotel lobby. Complimentary wi-fi in most locations. Full service restaurant, seasonal cocktail lounge with patio deck, and marina with slip and mooring rentals all on site. Waterfront hot tub available for guests. Music at the piano bar in season. Special vacation packages available. Open mid April to late October. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia APAC, Booking.com, Evoline ltd, Wotif.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and lastminute.com.au so you can book your Tugboat Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tugboat Hotel Boothbay Harbor
- Tugboat Inn Boothbay Harbor, Maine