“Right in town but away from the crowd with clean rooms in Boothbay Harbor”
Review of Tugboat Inn

Tugboat Inn
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I could not find any last minute rooms in the top 5 trip advisor rated B&B's and hotels in Boothbay Harbor. So, I decided to try my luck as a walk-in. I was walking around the town and as I was nearing the end of the town I noticed a bunch of hotels with good ocean views. I just popped into the first one - Tugboat Inn to check the availability. They had some & they showed me a room - which is not a Hilton or a Marriott room - but it had an irresistible view for the same price.

Location
-----------
The Hotel is right in Boothbay Harbor town but it is also away from the crowd & noise. It is situated at the Southern tip of the town facing the ocean. Boothbay is a small town and the town center is about 2-3minute walk from the hotel. So all the restaurants, boat rides, wharf etc. are all just walkable from the hotel. The town itself quiets down after 9/10PM and so it is very quiet around the hotel.

The Property is split into 5 buildings but right next to each other with many different room options. Some of the top recommended B&B's in TA are right next to this on a small hill.

Just to give an idea, a strip mall with Hannaford supermarket(grocery), a small movie theater and other shops are at the beginning of the town on the other end of the hotel. They are probably a mile away and it will be like a 20mts walk from the hotel.

Rooms & Amenities
-------------------------
The Room and bathroom was very basic but very clean. Do not expect an impeccable branded chain hotel room but it is definitely livable. I got the 1st level queen end room (#107) in the Tugboat Pier Building jutting over the water with big bay windows on almost 2 sides of the room. It had the uninterrupted view of the ocean filled with yachts & boats. I can just sit in the bed and watch all the boats go by.

Room itself had a queen bed with a small old model TV. It had a tiny bathroom with a shower & toilet. The sink itself was outside on the other side of the room. There were some bathroom amenities (Shower gel, moisturizer etc.), coffee maker and a small hair dryer. Yes, if you are nit-picky you will notice little stains in carpet, old furniture etc.

Parking is free in the hotel and it is very convenient as you do not have to drive around looking for parking in the town. Free Wi-Fi is offered but they do not guarantee that it will have a good signal everywhere on the property. But I can say it did work in my room which is kind of away from the central office.

I do like to add that the hotel is right in the harbor/marina area. So all the boats, yachts are anchored right next to the hotel and the rooms. In my case, there was a big yacht anchored next to my left side window. People were hanging out & drinking in the yacht, so I had to close my curtains on that side for privacy. Similarly, all the people staying in the boats anchored a little away from shore use their tiny motor boats to come ashore and they land right in front of this room. The room is on a stilt, so they cannot stand on the pier and watch us through the window. I would say that I did not hear any abnormal noises nor was I disturbed by any of these boats/yachts. Check out some of my pictures to get a better idea of the room. Also check out the end room photo in Tugboat Pier building (Building #2) in the hotel website.

-------
There is an onsite restaurant and a lounge in the hotel. The main restaurant is built around an original Tugboat and so it is very noticeable. The morning free breakfast was provided here. The Restaurant was kind of nice with great views of the ocean. The Breakfast itself was very ordinary with just a few breads, croissant, Danish with coffee & juices. The lounge was on the first level with not so great ocean views, but it had live music in the evenings.

All the restaurants in town are very close by, walkable from the hotel, so you do not have to be tied to the on-site food options.

Overall, it was decent hotel in a small town with clean rooms and easy access to town center and all the restaurants. Personally, I would stay in this part of town around this hotel as this has great views and easy access to shops.

Room Tip: 1st level End rooms on Tugboat pier building are right over the water.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank RelaxByTravel

Reviewed 24 September 2011

Saturday night band was great - have dinner downstairs - good service

Reviewed 19 September 2011

We had the opportunity to stay 2 nights and our room was very clean and certainly quiet. The views of the harbor from our room was beautiful and we had lunch at the Tugboat Inn was enjoyable and relaxing. Very friendly staff and the ease of walking just about everywhere in the village was a plus! Highly recommended!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor views are amazing!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
BSS59, Front Office Manager at Tugboat Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2011

Thank you kindly for taking the time write a review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to have you return to us in the near future. Travel Safely.

Reviewed 14 September 2011

We stayed here one night and thought the place looked quaint and cute. The room was a bit dated and the bathroom small but overall it was adequate. The breakfast was very good for being continental and service was very friendly at check in and they even gave us the key to look at the room so we could decide which I thought was great of them. The best part of the room was the view of the harbor right outside. We could see all of the boats from our bed. If you are looking for modern and upscale, forget about it. If you are looking for a clean bed with a great view in town then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you kindly for taking the time to think of us and write a review. We have 5 different buildings here and 21 different room types. Since we have such a diverse property we like to have our guests see the different options, so they can pick the one that fits them best. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and our complimentary continental breakfast. Travel safely

Reviewed 14 September 2011

Fun to spend a night in a room over the water in Booth Bay Harbor. The room was small but very clean. I was worried about the beds being too hard but woke up just fine - no back aches. We checked out another hotel before this one that just wasn't clean enough . They served a pretty substantial continental breakfast. With AAA discount we ended up paying $139 ( included tax ) on Sept 11, 2011.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for taking a moment of your time to write a review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at our Tugboat Inn. We love our 2 pier buildings that go right out over the water, and we are glad that you enjoyed our unique experience also. I often say that the "1st level rooms are as close to the water as you can get without getting wet". We hope to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boothbay Harbor
0.6 km away
Brown's Wharf Inn
Brown's Wharf Inn
#3 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Tugboat Inn? Share your experiences!