“Good Noodle Bowl!”

Umami Noodle Bar
Ranked #35 of 189 Restaurants in Bangor
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed 7 June 2017 via mobile

You can choose from the set menu or make your own bowl. I made my own with Yellow Curry Broth, Egg Noddles, Chicken, Boiled Egg, Spinach and Kimchi. The food came out good.

The interior is basic and needs some upkeep though.

Reviewed 2 June 2017

We were pleasantly surprised to see that anything in Bangor was open until 3 am! We were there for a Tool concert and it seemed like the town had no idea there would be an influx of about 3000 people. Business owners should be prepared for this and be ready with extra staff and product.

We waited in line for about 45 minutes because there was only one woman taking orders with a silent man, doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING THE WHOLE TIME breathing down her neck. I had never seen anyone do less than that at a restaurant. It baffled us to have so many people needing things and a guy looming about, not even helping.

We finally get our turn and they are out of the scallion pancakes so we just get the udon vegan broth dish. The food comes and it was quite flavorful. We still added the helpings of sauces they have, which was nice. The hovering man doing nothing could have replenished those sauces while he was busy doing nothing.

Overall the food was pretty good. The atmosphere was very bizarre and not comfortable. The restaurant was connected to this weird bar and smelled bad.

Reviewed 16 May 2017

The staff is incredibly kind and knowledgeable. Food was not that great, not my kind of taste but we were here just because a college graduate wanted to eat here. Needs a good professional cleaning and remake. Like I said, staff was fantastic.

Reviewed 11 May 2017

We have eaten here several times and finally came to the conclusion we probably wont be back. The soup is fine, but I don't know if you can make bad pho soup. They kind of charge a bit for the amount you get and they charge more than I'd like for toppings. You don't just buy the soup, you get a type of broth, a type of meat, and I believe one a couple garnishes. They charge about $1 or $2 for each thing you want to add to it. You will pay a minimum of $10 for a soup, about $9.50 then add on tax. We have had times where they are slow bringing the food out or the noddles aren't cooked all the way and they are hard enough we feel bad, but have to send them back.
We finally made up our minds to stop going when we were there and an employee over heard us talking and joined in, which was find, but started getting really upset with the city and complaining that Bangor was racist cause it hadn't allowed them to put their patio furniture out, but the city had gotten to other restaurants paperwork and allowed them to put patio stuff out. She swore during this spew a couple times, nothing huge, but still. We kind were taken back and asked, how is that racists? She informed me it was because they were Asian, this really threw me for a loop cause the girl was as white hipster as you could get without her going on about some obscure music band that no one has ever heard of. When I pointed this out, she informed me it was because the restaurant was Asian style and the city is racist about that. I asked her when she had turned the paperwork in and she said, "Last week". I resist the urge to giggle about thinking the government would get any paperwork done in a week or timely manner.
After this conversation and having our noodles, again, uncooked, we realized it just wasn't worth the money coming here. We'd enjoy the pho soup over at Yoshi's way better anyway and you get like twice as more.
If this was the only place to get pho soup, I would probably still come here, cause I LOOOOVE pho soup, but knowing I can get it at Yoshi's in Brewer... I'd rather go there.

Reviewed 20 April 2017 via mobile

Phenomenal. Mike was great and didn't mind me taking forever making my own bowl, he also had great suggestions. This place is now a must stop whenever I'm in Bangor.