“Terrific, accomplished cooking in cosy surroundings”
Review of The Rat Inn

The Rat Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Anick
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 March 2017

A wonderful dinner, rounding off a great day in the spectacular Tyne valley. Good menu choices and a small but perfectly-formed wine list got the juices flowing, and the food didn't disappoint. The lightest, freshest fritters of smoked haddock with a perfectly-judged gribiche sauce and a smashing, meaty terrine of ham hock which came with lightly pickled carrot and the best focaccia I think I've ever tasted - vaguely caramelised-tasting with a hint of rosemary. This was followed by a rib burger in a feather-light home-made brioche bun and sensible, classic seasonings. Excellent chips. The other dish, a hefty plateful of local venison, nicely gamey - tender slices of quickly-seared loin and a lip-smacking daube of the haunch, full of flavour without a hint of dryness (which less skilled chefs can fall foul of) alongside a quenelle of beautifully smooth, buttery mash, deeply-roasted parsnips and a pile of deep emerald Savoy cabbage. Rounding things off, a good chocolate brownie and an exceptional Sticky Toffee Pudding with an ice-cream studded with Pedro Ximenez sherry-soaked raisins. Perfection. All of this served by the lovely Karen and her charming team. We will be back and recommend to everyone we know who's heading up to the Hexham area. Thank you!

1  Thank MeadowsweetChef

Reviewed 7 March 2017 via mobile

Picked as a halfway house between us and son at Uni in Newcastle. Agree with previous reviewers about uncomfortable seats and noisy next to coffee machine. They also got our bill quite wrong. 2 drinks and a dessert we hadn't had.
That said........the rib of beef for Sunday lunch was absolutely superb. 900g does 2 and 1kg will do 3.
Make sure you book though, it was v busy

Reviewed 6 March 2017

We were staying in Blanchland and thought we would try The Rat Inn because of the good reviews it has received. We were to be disappointed I'm afraid. We were seated on very uncomfortable seats next to the noisy coffee machine so we couldn't hear each other speak, and we were not told that we had to choose our meals from the blackboard so we waited for quite some time for menus before the server came to take our order! We then had to wait quite some time for our food although the pub was not busy. I had a burger which was fine but not outstanding, and my partner had the cod which he said was okay but nothing special. I don't think we will return-we have had much better meals with a much nicer atmosphere in places that have not had as much hype

2  Thank woosiesoosie
Publandlady, Manager at The Rat Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2017

Dear Woosiesoosie,
As the pub was 'not busy',why did you not move to a table where you could hear each other speak?
You can lead a horse to water but you cant force it to drink..
Good luck in your hunt for an outstanding burger.
All the best
PS all chairs are wooden,non are upholstered.

Reviewed 6 March 2017 via mobile

Thought it was time to review The Rat again. Since my last review we've been many times for lunch and dinner, but today was the first time since they have tweaked the Sunday lunch menu.

5 of us had a great Sunday lunch. It was very busy (so booking is essential) but the service was still great.

The menu changes every day reflecting what's fresh, local and takes the chefs fancy. Marked up on a blackboard with no fuss.

We had Lindisfarn oysters to start, well shucked and very fresh. Then we shared really great Sunday lunch classics. Pork is really good as is the beef rib.

Desserts are all made in house and very good. The kind of dessert where you think you are full then you see them being served to another table and think - I'll make room.

The Rat keeps getting better and better.

Reviewed 5 March 2017

Visited the rat today for Sunday lunch. They had the booking down an hour later than we had been advised on the phone. They managed to squeeze us in after reluctantly taking our word for it that we had a booking for 1.30pm and not 2.30 pm. Drinks were ordered and served only to receive the same order 20minutes later !!!! We decided just to take them as we hadn't even had our food order taken let alone served. Only beef available was at a cost of £64.80 for three people to share !!!! We were a party of four so decided that three of us must have beef which left only sirloin steak for the fourth member as it was the only thing left on the menu that didn't have to be shared. Service was so slow or none existent that we requested olives and bread at a cost of £4.50 that most other venues would put on free of charge. Shockingly sparse for four people!!!! We left having a bill of £123 for a grossly overpriced Sunday lunch. We won't be returning.

4  Thank susantimmins60
Publandlady, Owner at The Rat Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2017

Dear Susantimmins
Im just going to keep this short.
You were booked in for 2.30 not 1.30.
I rejigged our whole table plan in order to seat you earlier,with the advice that your food wouldn't arrive quickly due to 1.30 being peak time.You didnt seem to understand that the availability of a table for you to sit at did not guarantee the speedy arrival of food.I explained this to you three times.
So for the record:
THE REASON WE STAGGER BOOKINGS AT INTERVALS IS TO ALLOW OUR KITCHEN TO COOK EACH ORDER TIMEOUSLY AND WITH CARE TO A HGH STANDARD.
Prior to seating you,you indicated this was 'no problem at all'.
Of the main course dishes on our Sunday menu the Rib of beef and chicken were sharing dishes served family style to the whole table.
There were a further SEVEN dishes available to order INDIVIDUALLY as well as a selection of Starters.
Yesterday we had a selection of 9 main courses of which 2 were for 2 or more.
Haven taken your order for the rib of beef,I enquired whether you were ok with the beef medium rare,at this point I heard your son advise you that you could eat the end bits.As I walked away from the table you sarcastically quipped to your son 'so as well as telling us what we're going to eat they are telling us how we're going to eat it'
Chef keeps telling me to stop holding people at gunpoint and forcing them to order food..
I digress,I returned to your table immediately to advise that we could indeed cook the rib to well done,however the reason I had asked if you were ok with medium rare was that cooking a well done rib would take some considerable time probably one hour.
I'm surprised you expect not to be charged for a food item ordered, this is a new one on me,however with regard to the extra round of drinks delivered in error,this was not charged despite the fact that they were readily consumed.
Finally,I'm just going to chalk this one up to experience,a lesson learned eh?
Next time:
'I'm sorry Madam,your table is not available until the time of your booking'

All the best