“Beautiful scenery”
Review of Spanish Lake

Ranked #9 of 14 things to do in New Iberia
More attraction details
Owner description: More than 240 bird species have been identified frequenting this small and shallow lake.
Reviewed 11 April 2016 via mobile

Cool breezes from the nearby Gulf Of Mexico make this a nice stop in the springtime. There are lots of local things to do and see in area
New Iberia is just 15-20 minutes away.

Reviewed 16 March 2016

This is the most interesting lake at sunrise ...makes the most beautiful pictures ..Perfect for picnics and families close to New Iberia

1  Thank Ted N Linda M
Reviewed 27 May 2014

A drive through this great escape from the mad and rushing world is well worth the time and nominal fee of $2. The man at the gate welcomes you with his huge, warm smile. On our drive through we spotted several beautiful deer quietly moving from the lake area to the bamboo thickets. They even paused on the road and stared back at us in a very calming manner. Ground birds scurried across and into the leaves on every path. I look forward to returning with our grandkids and family for a picnic this summer.

1  Thank Donna S
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This little lake is very close to New Iberia with an easy boat launch if you want to just spend a some time on the water, watch some birds and probably see some alligators and turtles. There's no real picnic area, but we take a blanket to spread out and that works for us. We wish there was a real restroom, but the portables will do if we have to "go." Be sure to take some "wet wipes" for your hands. The kids can throw a Frisbee or football and run around. Be sure to pack you own drinks and snacks as there are no concessions. In the summer there's a funny bird (egret) that hangs around the boat dock begging for handouts. The lake itself is pretty & it's relaxing to take a ride around it. We take visitors here because it's close to our home & we can usually spot an alligator or two or three. Some reviews mention a "rude lady" who followed them as they drove around the lake. Well, there are signs that tell you that there is a parking/use fee, so just stop by the bait house and pay the $2.00. Once you are on the "other side" she can't see you and if you are fishing then you have paid the $2.00 fee.

1  Thank Cajuncass
See more reviews
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This lake is very pretty to look at but as for fishing and picnicking it's not much. The old lady (keeper of the gate) is very rude and could care less if you visit or not. When I first came here I just wanted to look at the place and when I asked her if we could just drive thru she said for $2.00 I could do what ever I wanted otherwise I could pay a $500.00 fine. That's the first and last visit I will make to this lake.

13  Thank TerryKeen