New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“A very good restaurant. Must try the white chocolate bread pudding” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grapevine Cafe

Grapevine Cafe
Price range: USD 0 - USD 15
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
U.S
“A very good restaurant. Must try the white chocolate bread pudding”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

I have eaten here 3 times and have enjoyed everything that has been put in front of me. I've had the drum with crawfish cornbread twice and the ribeye steak. My girlfriend always has the spinach and andouille stuffed chicken breast. The wait staff isn't the best, but we think that they do an acceptable job. We really like the atmosphere too.
We're not originally from Louisiana and we rarely get food that we think is good at cajun inspired restaurants. It seems like there is an emphasis on quantity not quality, there are a lot of fried food offerings, and inevitably dusted with Tony Chachere seasoning. However, The Grapevine offers food that has a flavor and flare that is somewhat cajun with influences from other parts of the states.
Finally, I do not like bread pudding, but The Grapevine makes one of the best desserts I have ever had and it is... WHITE CHOCOLATE BREAD PUDDING!! You have to come here just for this dessert.

• Visited March 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

new orleans
“poor food, even worse service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

We've been through Donaldsonville twice in the last year and have visited The Grapevine Cafe (based on friends recommendations). The first trip offered food that was overcooked and tasteless. The second trip this past week was even worse. The waitress hit a new high for not even letting us finish one course before bringing another. We had 4 different entree's and one was worse than the other. The crawfish bisque had a thick skin on the top and the large "clump" of rice in the middle was mush. It was awful. My puff pastry that supposedly had shrimp etouffe in it had 2 shrimp and nothing on the inside. I told the waitress and she just smiled. Great pastry but nothing on the inside. An expensive lunch item and was awful. Another entre, fish, so salty it was inedible. I would not ever go back and would not recommend this to anyone.

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank neworleanskls
“We will return.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

Great food and atmosphere. We will be back soon. There was music that night which made dinner even more enjoyable. The service was great!

Winnie, Texas
“What a WONDERFUL Restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2011

In town on business for a week, I wanted a really good dinner. WOW, did I pick the right spot. I was seated immediately, my drink order was taken promptly and the waitress was back to take my order as soon as I put my menu down. My salad arrived in about 2 minutes and as soon as I finished my salad the meal arrived. WONDERFUL SERVICE! The food was excellent! Crawfish Etoufee', okra, potato salad and bread. I finished with a cup of coffee and the most wonderful bread pudding I've ever had. Nice atmosphere too. The black cat kept me company in the windowseal. 5star experience

• Visited May 2011
Fairview, Texas
“Excellent in Every Way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

We dined on Pork Medallions with Garlic Shrimp Sauce and Checken stuffed with Spinich & Andouille sausage with crab butter sauce. O my goodness, the food was phenomenal! The service was top notch, and a pretty black cat sat on the windowsill of the enclosed patio and tried to purr through the window at us. We spoke to the owner on our departure and found out it was her cat. She couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful about the town of Donaldsonville. This is a little jewel of a town, not far from two huge oil refineries that seem to make just fine unobtrusive neighbors!

• Visited April 2011