“Great Drinks and Good Food”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Tumbleweed Tex Mex Grill & Margarita Bar
Ranked #22 of 72 Restaurants in Shelbyville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

The Tumbleweed boasts a fairly decent selection of Tex Mex food, and a friendly staff. There is a little something for everyone on the menu and I was not disappointed with my choice of the grilled chicken dinner which I paired with Mac N Cheese and Baked Beans. The chicken was basic but grilled well, and was both juicy and flavorful. Although the food seemed standard, it was tasty and I enjoyed the meal overall. Where The Tumbleweed really seems to shine is in its selection of mixed drinks, which are both potent and generous. There are many options of margaritas and other mixers to choose from.

I come from a state that has enacted a statewide smoking ban, so my only surprise came in the fact that The Tumbleweed has both a smoking and non smoking section. However the smoking section was well enough sectioned off and that I wasn’t able to smell any smoke.

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

It's possible this may have changed since I'm writing this review several months later but at the time they had a smoking section. It was basically just another section of the restaurant with nothing to keep the smoke from billowing over to our non-smoking area. To top it off our food set in the window ready to be brought out to this for over 10 minutes. We were really close and could see as it was just ignored. The only savior was at the food was really good even if it was lukewarm. We have not returned since.

Reviewed 29 December 2017

We've been eating at Tumbleweed for 30+ years. Many of them have closed (all the ones in Lexington) so it was a real treat to eat at this one in Shelbyville. The only bad thing on the entire visit was that fact that they still have smoking in the restaurant and the overpowering smell of fresh and stale smoke was very off-putting. The food was excellent starting with the nachos as an appetizer and following into the chimichanga dinners and enchilada plates. All food was served piping hot and was delicious - savory and spicy. Sides of rice and beans were good, but not spectacular, chips were hot and fresh. Our server was delightful - she was very efficient and made our meal more pleasant by making sure we had everything we needed. Make no mistake, this is not fine dining but the food is good.

Reviewed 23 December 2017

Local chain where we've been eating for a couple decades. In college, they had 50 cent tacos, which got us hooked. They've come a long way since then, with a more modern, diverse menu. Now they call their tacos, "Street Tacos," but we can still get the original crispy-shell regular taco. Always makes me happy.

Reviewed 7 December 2017

Good Tex Mex food. Get on the email list for coupons about every week for a bogo or a free caso usually. Ribs, steaks, chicken and pork chops are good if you don't like Mexican. If you are over 60 you can order off the lunch menu any time and eat as cheap as $5.99, which is what I do a lot. Burrito, rice and beans, $5.99. The double pork chop meal is enough that my wife and I often share it or have a chop to take home.